Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: I stole cookies from the cookie jarMicrobadge: I give out citizenship stars
I love Pandemic Legacy and am impressed by the success it has been displaying since its release - climbing up to rank 44 on BGG and rank 1 in the thematic game list. What confuses me, though is that while it is NUMBER ONE on the thematic game list, i.e. it outranks (in order of appearance on the thematic game list)

Star Wars Imperial Assault
War of the Ring second edition
Mage Knight
Robinson Crusoe
Dead of Winter
Eldritch Horror

on the overall ranking list ALL these games OUTRANK Pandemic Legacy. How is this possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Category rank calculations use a different formula than the overall rank formula. Primarily it has fewer dummy votes... so it takes fewer positive ratings to go up in the ranking. Popular new games will shoot up in the category ranking faster than they will in the general rating. As more people rate the game the difference will diminish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek ratings are calculated by allocating a number of average ratings (5s) based on the total number of votes in the voting pool. So a game with a few high votes will rank better in a sub category. The games ranked higher overall will have a higher number of actual ratings to offset the 5s that are given for the relevant geek rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Category rank calculations use a different formula than the overall rank formula. Primarily it has fewer dummy votes... so it takes fewer positive ratings to go up in the ranking. Popular new games will shoot up in the category ranking faster than they will in the general rating. As more people rate the game the difference will diminish.
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: I stole cookies from the cookie jarMicrobadge: I give out citizenship stars
morti wrote:
Geek ratings are calculated by allocating a number of average ratings (5s) based on the total number of votes in the voting pool. So a game with a few high votes will rank better in a sub category. The games ranked higher overall will have a higher number of actual ratings to offset the 5s that are given for the relevant geek rating.
I do understand the principle of geek ratings, but this not explain why they fare differently in the thematic rating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Thunkd wrote:
Thanks for clarifying I do not understand the rational behind this, though - why does BGG have a different rating calculation system here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Thanks for clarifying I do not understand the rational behind this, though - why have a different rating calculation system here?
I can only answer the how, not the why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
why does BGG have a different rating calculation system here?
Possibly so that games could get a ranking in their subcategories faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW the BGG wiki page ratings has a few links to prior discussions of this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
becuase its number 1 right now, not number 1 of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls