Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10.1.3:

"An Entrenchment marker is removed... if the hex contains no friendly SPs at the end of any activation, enemy or friendly."

That needs some clarification!

In same paragraph:

"An Entrenchment can be replaced with a Control marker." So Confederate General Johnston moves out of his entrenchment in Springfield, MO with his entire force to move via Waynesville and attack the Union in Rollo. At the end of his activation, the entrenchment is removed. But does the above sentence mean that it just gets replaced with a control marker? In other words, the Confederates still control Springfield (necessary for the LOC) but just lose the +2DRM of the entrenchment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Kind of a neat nuance, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Also remember an entrenchment is also equivalent to a control marker.

When you enter a city (resource, objective, port, etc.) with 2+ SP, you can spend a movement point to place a control marker there, or spend 2 movement points to entrench. If you entrench it is like a control marker with defensive benefits. If you later leave, the entrenchment goes away, but the control marker aspects remain, so you replace the entrenchment marker with a control marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation. But anyone got an answer for that 10.1.3 confusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does the confusion lie? In your example, the entrenchment is left behind in Springfield when Johnston marches off to Rolla; at the end of Johnston's activation, a CSA marker replaces the entrenchment, per the second bullet. You parsed that out, but don't seem to believe it What is it that is confusing?

The truly confusing thing is what is General Johnston doing in Springfield!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording of the rule is messed up.

"no friendly strength point.......friendly or enemy"

Likely the "friendly or enemy" bit should be deleted, but there is no official word on such a correction yet.

There is errata for this rule that changes "activation" to "player activation phase" though, so I guess you can abandon an entrenchment, and move someone else in with another action point within that same phase and keep the entrenchment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on... I think I figured it out myself:

"An Entrenchment marker is removed... if the hex contains no friendly SPs at the end of any activation, enemy or friendly."

The 'enemy or friendly' phrase applies to the activation, not the SP.

Durrhh. soblue My brain hurts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense actually.

So with the errata it now basically says "...if it contains no friendly strength points at the end of any action phase, friendly or enemy"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls