Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Fauna» Forums » General

Subject: Is this appropriate for/accesible to a 6-7 year old interested in nature? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have a 6 1/2 year old "niece" who absolutely loves all things animal. She is an avid fan of Kratt's Creatures and other shows like that. I am considering this game as a Christmas present for her (I can't find Fauna junior) but didn't want to buy it if it might be so far above her it is a turn off.

I expect that, at the very least, she would find the cards and maps interesting but I wonder if she'll understand game play (I know that's hard to answer since you don't know her general capabilities and, in truth, I don't easy as she is my nieces' cousin and I only get to see her once or twice a year).

Can anyone offer me information on their experience with children younger than 8 (and that hasn't played many games)?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Becker
United States
Tumwater
Washington
flag msg tools
My youngest daughter started playing around 6 years. She is a total animal fan, so the theme is right on. She is also a great reader, which helps, but is not entirely necessary.

I think the key is that we played it as a family game, with siblings 4 and 6 years older as well as an adult. It is pretty easy to play in that aspect. Also, I would start out by not penalizing the youngest players for wrong guesses - that is, they can keep their bet markers regardless of the outcome of their guesses.

All in all it is a really great ( and educational )game that I hope you will enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concept of the game is very simple and definitely very educational with a ton of animal cards. The only thing that might be challenging is that you need to have a concept of how much things weigh or how long they might be in order to place a guess. Not essential to enjoy the game, but important to win. If they think a cat is 10 feet long (or meters on the other side of board) they might struggle a bit, but would still be fun. The other aspect is guessing where things live, that frankly can be challenging for most adults. But it is fun to see how close you were on the map and you can get some points for being close. My daughter was a bit older, but absolutely loved the game and given the number of cards would be playable for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much to you both. My guess is that she might study the cards and then "school" her parents at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played it successfully with younger children (although they are reasonably experienced at other games - that said it is mainly an animal trivia game [well and a bluffing game for the adults whistle ).

The main issue we found is that younger children don't have as good general knowledge about animals, so what we did was allow them to take two cubes back at the end of each turn where as the other players only get back one. That seemed to balance it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
We have played it successfully with younger children (although they are reasonably experienced at other games - that said it is mainly an animal trivia game [well and a bluffing game for the adults whistle ).

The main issue we found is that younger children don't have as good general knowledge about animals, so what we did was allow them to take two cubes back at the end of each turn where as the other players only get back one. That seemed to balance it well.
Good advice! Since I won't be around to play it with her I'll suggest some rule modifications to her parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 and a half year old son loves this game and he can perfectly play it. He just gets tired after a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
My 5 and a half year old son loves this game and he can perfectly play it. He just gets tired after a complete game.
Thanks I gave it to my sister-in-law's niece at Christmas. My brother has now played it with her several times and says she loves it and beats him.

Glad that I made the choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played with my young kids - youngest is almost 5. He needed some help, but he would show us with his arms (or I would show with my arms) how big he wanted to guess for the sizes. Then I would put his cube on the size he chose. He ended up in 2nd place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls