Popular Tags: [View All]
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to play Invasion for the first time and really enjoyed it. Introducing co-op into Orleans is something I would've never imagined happening, but I couldn't be happier that it did!

One thing we all seemed to notice was just how powerful the Well can be. We read and re-read its description in the rulebook:

Quote:
Carry out any action on your Player Board or any of your Place Tiles, regardless of whether or not that action is activated. After taking the action, only return the Followers from the Well to your bag. This way you can use an action more than once per round.

and came to the conclusion that it allows you to:

Activate it with a monk and a boatman, then choose ANY action on your board, regardless if you have placed the appropriate followers on the action spot that round, and immediately receive the benefits from that action. If you have also placed followers on that chosen action, you can later spend them like normal to take that action a second time.

While I feel like this is an absolutely essential building to have in the co-op, I'm afraid it feels a little too powerful, especially for the PvP base game or Prosperity variant. Putting an automation cog on the boatman spot makes it so the owner can spend just one monk for any action at all, or even take a crucial action twice.

Am I missing something? Are the rules poorly worded? Has anyone played with the Well outside of co-op?

The rules really could've been a little clearer all around-- I mistook setup to mean that goods tiles do not get seeded out onto the map in co-op, so we inadvertently played on super hard mode. The Well saved our bacon more than once and allowed us to pull off a win on the very last round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pelle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, the Well is not used in the Prosperity variant.
For a regular game you could use this additional rule:

Orleans rules page 9 :

Additional Rule: Exclusion of Place Tiles (Recommended for Experienced Players)
At the beginning of the game (before the first round), beginning with the Start Player and in clockwise order, each player may exclude one Place Tile from play (from category I or II). Put the excluded tiles back into the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Invasion for the first time friday night and The Well really seemed OP. With a technology tile on the fisherman, you can do any action with just one monk and we abused it for one player to fly around the map and build fortifications.

We won that game and decided to take out The Well for the next one to up the difficulty a bit.

I would never use that tile in a competitive game, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denver Greene
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
We played with the well in a standard game with the new buildings from both expansions and the new events from Trade and Intrigue. The player who got the Well just crushed. He got the highest score out of any of our Orleans games, although it might still be the case that the expansion adds more points in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragan Adamovic
msg tools
According to the rules the place tile Well is not to be used in the Prosperity scenario.

Instead, the Well should be used when playing Invasion the co-op scenario. Although, remember to follow the setup instruction which clearly lets you know what place tiles should be used.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.