Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rush
United States
Canyon Country
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What design would it be? I.V. or Black Box? Has the designer said what it would be IF it ever gets reprinted?

I'd like to know because that would help me to decide whether to hope and wait or just settle for Uchronia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
Sterling, Town of
CT
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend highly the most recent release Mottainai. Also, impulses great as weLl. These should help you wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:
What design would it be? I.V. or Black Box? Has the designer said what it would be IF it ever gets reprinted?

I'd like to know because that would help me to decide whether to hope and wait or just settle for Uchronia.

I do not believe the GtR designer (Carl Chudyk) owns the rights to publish Glory to Rome in the U.S., that decision is made by Cambridge Games Factory. Haven't heard anything of substance from CGF (Ed Carter) for, well, since the Kickstarter to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:
No point asking him, it's absolutely none of his business.

I reckon IF it were ever reprinted (it won't be) then it'd be neither edition, it'd be something with Asmadi's new artwork all over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
bprush wrote:

I reckon IF it were ever reprinted (it won't be) then it'd be neither edition, it'd be something with Asmadi's new artwork all over it.
Asmadi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
bprush wrote:

Asmadi?
The company that have published all of Carl's recent games, including Mottainai and Innovation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
bprush wrote:

Asmadi?
The company that have published all of Carl's recent games, including Mottainai and Innovation.
Sure but CGF has the rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
See the Spanish or German edition. It has very nice art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
bprush wrote:

Asmadi?
Yes, so I'd wager that the only way a reprint would happen is if CGF returned the rights to Carl somehow. Which I'd also wager won't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Yes, so I'd wager that the only way a reprint would happen is if CGF returned the rights to Carl somehow. Which I'd also wager won't happen.[/q]

So it will never happen. Because even if Ed decides to republish, I can't imagine people would send in money for preorders given the last fiasco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... at the top of the thread... selling on Amazon for $149.99 wow

If it does, that number will probably go down, and we'll probably get it in 1 to 4 years time. Maybe. As to the artwork, that's a roll of the dice.

As painful as it is to say, you may want to settle for Uchronia :|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Quote:

So it will never happen. Because even if Ed decides to republish, I can't imagine people would send in money for preorders given the last fiasco.
They could take a loan out from a bank and do it the old-fashioned way, pre-Kickstarter/preorders/customers-fronting-interest-free-capital...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
dylanbradshaw wrote:
I recommend highly the most recent release Mottainai. Also, impulses great as weLl. These should help you wait
I personally was HIGHLY disappointed by both of these.

As a GtR player Uchronia was better (I did get rid of it though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
colmmccarthy wrote:
To answer the OP's original question.

I'd like to see something akin to the Black Box edition, as I really like all of the design choices on that. It's very clean. But then, I'm also a fan of Asmadi's sparse design.

I'd pick Mottainai over Uchronia any day, but that's mainly because I don't like the theme of Uchronia (and also because I have Mottainai and GtR).
Personally I've played it about 70 times. !/6 to 1/5 of the time with Black Box. If I ever have a choice between IV and Black Box, I ALWAYS insist on the IV version. It's much easier to play since the colors are vibrant, so you can clearly see all the clientes that the other players have.

Besides it has all the neat quotes to give it even more character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L & K Punzet
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My vote is for the Polish/German art

Boo to Mottanai. I have Uchronia but I've never actually got around to playing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavol Salak
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought polish edition (which cost me about $21), printed pregremlin's building reference and my friends and I don't have to understand what it says on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Blowes
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bprush wrote:

My preference would be for one of the european designs. The spanish / italian artwork is great, and a good balance between playable (visible colours) and design (doesn't look like children's crayons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
Really is a shame (on someone) that this'll probably never get re-printed. It's one of my favorite games. I own a black box that I got from CSI just after it was released to retailers. I sleeved the hell out of the cards and play it often.

I also bought a French edition from amazon.fr. It's got Gloire. One day I'll do the whole paste-up thing.

In the meantime my group tried Mottainai. I appreciated Asmadi making the PnP freely available, but it was a big disappointment for us. It's a Chudyk, but it's no Glory to Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since game rules can't be copyrighted, this game could be reprinted with a different name and different art by any company. If Carl Chudyk got involved with that himself, it should be easy for him to find a publisher, given the clear demand. If he tweaks the game here and there it would just be like Age of Steam/Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World/Steam, but he doesn't even have to do that I think.

Someone should ask him if he's considering this. It's his masterpiece after all, it must hurt him how it's been treated by the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
krommenaas wrote:
Since game rules can't be copyrighted, this game could be reprinted with a different name and different art by any company. If Carl Chudyk got involved with that himself, it should be easy for him to find a publisher, given the clear demand. If he tweaks the game here and there it would just be like Age of Steam/Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World/Steam, but he doesn't even have to do that I think.

Someone should ask him if he's considering this. It's his masterpiece after all, it must hurt him how it's been treated by the publisher.
That's what he did. It was released as Uchronia. While it can't be copyrighted, certain things can be 'controlled' through contracts between a designer and a publisher. Which is why he made the 'tweaks' to GtR when released as Uchronia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Guantanamo wrote:
krommenaas wrote:

That's what he did. It was released as Uchronia. While it can't be copyrighted, certain things can be 'controlled' through contracts between a designer and a publisher. Which is why he made the 'tweaks' to GtR when released as Uchronia.

And I think the dramatic difference in "feel" and play experience between Glory to Rome and Uchronia emphasize how much of a (positive, IMHO) influence on Glory to Rome's development Ed Carter had, despite the controversy over whether his role was technically a "co-designer" or "game developer"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Uchronia, but I'd much prefer GtR. The only reason I pushed for Uch in one group was b/c I didn't own it, and it would be the more difficult to play of the 2.

Never played Mottainai, so can't comment on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean really make it the same game, like Traders of Osaka vs. Traders of Carthage. Uchronia is quite different no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
Even though it seems to be possible, it's hard to imagine a mainstream game company "cloning" and publishing a whole game with minimal changes - sufficient only to avoid infringing copyright. It sounds like a "slippery slope" the whole industry would prefer to stay away from.

IMO if "BGG" wanted to influence the decision to re-publish GtR it would need to lose the attitude towards the copyright owner - I'd estimate a probability of 5% for this.

Independently of BGG, there's probably a balance between the time/effort of restarting the publishing process vs potential profits from a new edition of GtR. The original publisher knows how many they sold in the past, and presumably it just doesn't make sense right now.

There's another set of options too: there must be active "channels" between the non-English publishers and the copyright holder. There must be contracts in place, and money is flowing to CGF and onwards to Carl Chudyk.

If any of them still has their processes in place they could handle manufacturing and logistics. The fact that they haven't suggests that the economics aren't right even for a path that requires relatively little effort from the copyright holder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in my slightly more ignorant times I contacted the one staff from cgf saying I'd redrawn the bbe cards and wanted to put them on game crafter. He seemed really open to the idea and if he ever manages to get ahold of Ed, will suggest going that route to provide the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |