Subject: The RCA seems to have made a grave tactical error. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
Recently the Rabbinical Council of America issued a statement against training women as rabanim or the equivalent thereto (maharatot) within the Orthodox Jewish world. The thing is that the program ordaining women has been done quietly and of very limited scope so far. The RCA pronouncement has however unleashed a huge backlash in the Orthodox world. It seems all over to be virtually the only thing anyone is talking about. There are of course those who support the RCA's position but an astonishing amount of people including many Orthodox rabanim-- even among the strictest sects-- coming out in favor of ordaining women as rabanim.

Why the change? First and foremost there is a perceived need in the community. Scandals like the sexual harassment of women converts by a prominent rav in Washington DC have convinced virtually everyone in the Orthodox world of the need for women in positions of authority. Moreover the Rambam among others established the principle that changes in accepted standards of the community should be reflected in the application of Torah Law. That women are and should be equals of men is accepted throughout the Orthodox world at least in principle.

So. while no one knows what will in the end happen, my opinion is that if the RCA had said nothing then no change would take place. Yet because they have spoken up, their statement is crystallizing opinion against them across the Orthodox world. Women rabanim are becoming an accepted reality in the Orthodox world slowly but surely, and this incident has advanced that reality by leaps and bounds. I could not be more delighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was not aware if this (was aware of the sexual assault allegations) thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
so basically the rca is to judaism what tstone is to christianity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sure this thread would be about how people getting eight records for a penny wasn't a valid business model anymore on account of internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Thanks for the context. I had seen that wonderful music video on FB and wondered about what had happened to inspire it.

I was also just reading this blog piece which resonated with me, even though I am not Jewish. But it still resonated with me as a woman. The title is a over-the-top, but the piece itself is interesting.

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/crazy-radicals-are-ruining-or...

Moshe, do you think a movement towards women rabbis would have an impact on the numbers of agunot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Microbadge: I don't use any card sleevesMicrobadge: I couldn't care less what color I play with!Microbadge: I rarely log my playsMicrobadge: Good games do not need expansions!Microbadge: I avoid Kickstarter
It is hoped that one of the first problems to be addressed will be that of agunot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know about this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Moshe. There's a huge Orthodox Jewish community in Toronto, so this is, I'm sure, a big talking point in this city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls