BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Suggestion on painting miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I want to paint my miniatures for this game, however there is way too many of them, and I don't want to stop playing because I haven't finished painting all of them. I was thinking of painting one faction at a time, but then again, it would be a long time before I get to play with that faction again.

For those that have painted their set, how did you go about it? Did you stop playing until you finished everything? did you prime them, played with them, and painted them as you could?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem and not much spare time for painting. I decided to paint them by type, starting with the Rune Golems, followed by Citadel Guards, then the Chaos Lord (because junior urged me to) and then the Flesh Rippers. Currently (since about 6 weeks...) I'm painting the Blood Harvesters.

And since there's only missing one unit type at any time I simply play without them. My kids even make up funny stories why the Harvesters can't be fielded at the moment. For me this is the best workaround, seeing it as a challenge to field an army without this specific unit, works fine, even without any expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
mb
Because I am impatient and it bugs me to have a partially painted army, I went for a relatively quick 3 step monochromatic paint job: prime, wash, drybrush, done. It doesn't change the overall look of the army a lot, and it does not look as awesome as a full paint job (obviously), but it does succeed in brining out a lot of detail that just isn't as visible on unpainted figures. It's a shortcut to quickly get an army looking good (in my opinion) and you can get a whole army painted pretty quickly. I prefer this to the unpainted figures.

To speed things up I used Army Painter colored primer which I found to be very good. Because of its close match to the initial figure color, and the fact that its a 100% match to their line of War Paints, I needed to do little if any touching up after priming and could go straight into a wash step. For the wash I used the Army Painter quick shades. Then I came back with a drybrush of the war paint and base touchups. Very quick assembly-line style paint job that brings out the detail in the figures.

Uthuk
Dragon Red colored primer
Red Tone Quickshade wash
Dragon Red and Pure Red drybrush
Touch up bases with Dragon Red

Daqan
Wolf Grey colored primer
Blue Tone Quickshade wash
Wolf Grey drybrush
Touch up bases with Wolf Grey

Neutral Units
White primer
Skeleton bone base coat
Dark Tone Quickshade wash
Skeleton bone drybrush
Touch up base with Skeleton Bone

Undead
Alien Purple colored primer
Purple Tone Quickshade wash
Alien Purple drybrush
Touch up base with Alien Purple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Deltaz
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWillibald wrote:
I have the same problem and not much spare time for painting. I decided to paint them by type, starting with the Rune Golems, followed by Citadel Guards, then the Chaos Lord (because junior urged me to) and then the Flesh Rippers. Currently (since about 6 weeks...) I'm painting the Blood Harvesters.

And since there's only missing one unit type at any time I simply play without them. My kids even make up funny stories why the Harvesters can't be fielded at the moment. For me this is the best workaround, seeing it as a challenge to field an army without this specific unit, works fine, even without any expansions.
Haha I love it that your kids make up stories for their MIA status. Looks like that is probably the best approach to this. My friends would have to deal with the missing units for a while .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deltas wrote:
Did you stop playing until you finished everything? did you prime them, played with them, and painted them as you could?
I saw a gaming club which had a great house rule, which you could use for Battlelore along the lines of:

Fully painted (3 colours + base): play with no special rules

Partially painted: this unit does one less hit when it attacks

Unpainted: this unit does one less hit when it attacks and suffers one more hit when it is struck

So, you can rip your figure out of the box and get playing straight away, but there's an incentive to paint your figures, and it is not a draconian 'no unpainted minis whatsoever'.

I, personally, only play with painted minis. I've got my expansion sets primed, but but won't get them on the table until they're done.

I don't mind playing against unpainted figures, but it does bug me when there's no painting progress over several months by my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls