Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Slipko
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I am having trouble interpreting the reinforcement entry procedure, could someone describe step-by-step how Scammon's brigade and Cox would enter at 0600 through hex 7032 at South Mountain? Or a video would be great.

Also, when is the best time to convert march orders to advance orders? Should the Reno chit be in the cup on turn 1 even though they are assigned March orders? Unless I am doing something wrong, it seems advance covers more ground than march orders.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's deal with the question of Advance Orders vs. March Orders first. The advantage for Scammon in entering under March Orders is that each connected road hex, including 7032, will cost only 1/2 MP. Under Advance Orders each road hex costs 1 MP. Under either type of orders, the +1 for ascending an elevation level applies.

March Orders allows Scammon the option of moving as far as he could get in three AM equivalents (of course, the 3rd AM equivalent would cost his units a level of Fatigue). Under Advance Orders, Scammon will receive only two AM, as Reno is not yet on the map and cannot award Cox his +1 Efficiency bonus.

Either type of Orders would allow Scammon's troops to utilize the road, which they'd obviously want to do by the time they reached the swamp and orchard hexes around 6033.

Remember that in South Mountain units also earn Fatigue for ascending more than two elevation change hexsides in the same Activation. During playtesting we discussed whether this should apply to "Activation equivalents" for units under March Orders, rather than to their entire Activation. Although we concluded it should, that point did not make it into Battle Book rule 17.22, so players are free to decide themselves.

As to how Scammon's brigade and its attached cavalry would enter and then move along the road at the road rate, the following applies:
-- March Order stacking limits (see the Player Aid card, page 2)
-- No inter-arms mingling in the same stack
-- Each entering stack pays 1/2 MP more than the preceding stack to enter the map.

If Scammon's infantry leads the way under March Orders, his vanguard could reach 5127 without accruing Fatigue. If he leads with his attached cavalry, it will not be able to go much further without accruing Fatigue, due to that nasty +1 for moving up a level. The one caveat is that, if the CSA comes down from the mountain to within four hexes and LOS of March Order units, the latter better be prepared to change orders during the Division Orders phase of the next turn. Therefore, keep Pleasonton within command range of Cox. And don't let March Order units be shock attacked by the enemy. It's...traumatic.

Lastly, Cox & Scammon are under Pleasonton's command until Reno arrives. Since no 3rd AM is possible for them until Reno does arrive, it seems to me there's no urgent need for the Reno AM, unless the players would rather separate Pleasonton's AMs from those of Reno's troops. There's definitely no need for the Reno AMs until his troops switch out of March Orders. In this context, keep Series rule 6.25 in mind -- if there's a chance you'd want to switch to Advance or Attack orders during the turn (as opposed to the start of the turn), place both the March Orders AM and the appropriate Corps AM in the cup. If the units stay under March Orders, the Corps AMs are ignored when drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Slipko
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Mr. Byrne:

Thanks a million for your enlightening response. I think I got it! I went wrong by cumulatively adding each 1/2 MP for each stack, plus 1/2 for every single hex moved with each stack, severely limiting my movement.

Here is Scammon and Cox post march on the 0600 turn. Like you said, they were able to make it all the way to 5127. I arrived at this by the following (please correct me if I am wrong):

-charged myself 2.5 MP for entering 5 stacks of units at 7032.
-this left 15.5 MP left for march, since I lead with cavalry with a MA of 9.
-I advanced all units one hex charging myself 1/2 MP per hex for the lead unit only (not every unit as I was doing before)
-due to terrain I ran out of MP at 5127, which was 2 activation equivalents, thus no fatigue. If I advanced one more hex to 5027, I would have been fatigued 2 levels, for advancing up 2 levels and for using 3 activation equivalents.

I have Pleasonton within command range of Cox and Scammon. Can I legally change them to attack orders when I draw the Pleasonton chit later this turn? I hope so, since the Confederates are a little too close for comfort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mic Slipko. My only doubt is the 2.5 MP you charged yourself for entering five stacks. The way it goes is:

-- First stack enters 7032 at a cost of 1/2 MP and completes its move
-- Second stack enters 7032 at a cost of 1 MP and completes its move
-- and so on; third stack pays 1.5 MP to enter 7032; fourth stack pays 2 MP, etc.

A first stack consisting of infantry can reach 5127 in this way, at no cost in Fatigue (although sometimes Fatigue is worth it).

Now, about Pleasonton and mid-turn order changes: Once you've drawn the March Order AM and moved units under March Orders, those units are done for the turn. They cannot change orders until the Division Orders phase at the start of the next turn. That's why you want them in command at the start of the new turn. Otherwise they could be sitting ducks.

Do those Rebs have any AMs left? May not matter too much; if they're under Advance Orders they cannot move & fire, nor can they move adjacent to the Yanks. If they're under Attack Orders, it will be a while before they can do the Yanks any damage, because movement is so costly in that terrain. Looks to me as if the Yanks will do just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls