BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Procedural Roguelike - Enemy Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charilaos Bacharis
msg tools
mbmb
Hello everyone,

I am currently designing a dungeon crawl. I am trying to replicate the roguelike computer experience in boardgame form.

Now I have hit a series of issues during design and I am currently trying to adress them one by one.

One of the more important ones, is enemy function since that will have great effect in combat mechanics. The issue is that I cannot decide between two options:
1) Having enemies with HP
2) Having enemies with defences and only one wound (something like Mage Knight)

I think the 2nd option would make my work easier, and it solves some issues in tabletops (board coverd with wound and condition tokens problem), but I am not sure it is thematic.

Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Name that tune!Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Rhode Island
You could have two-state enemies, where you have to do at least x damage in one effect to take it to the wounded state, where you flip over its token or card or knock its figure or pawn down, and then you have to do at least y damage in one effect to take it from wounded to killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Single-wound enemies will be much less hassle to implement.

You could have non-wounding alternatives as partial succeses: knockback, knockdown, stunning, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were going for fights with a few creatures who were powerful, I'd say HP. If you're going for a roguelike experience, then there will be plenty of weak monsters.

The main question is whether it's fun. I've played a lot of Nethack, and for me most monster encounters boiled down to: will I win, or should I do something special? (fight, zap, or run!). Whether the newt took one, two or three hits to kill wasn't the interesting part of the game, and it's even less interesting when all those details need to be tracked by hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charilaos Bacharis
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I decided to go with a middle ground. Single HP for most enemies, and HP mechanic with unique ones. The Two-State idea is also interesting and it might serve for midlevel enemies, allthough I will focus on the two above before testing this one.

Non-wounding alternatives are also interesting. They still pose the issue of tracking a lot of counters on the board, which could be tiring for a roguelike, but I prefer them to wounds as they give a more tactical dimension to the fight. I will have to think on it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm doing the first run on my combat mechanics at the moment - 3d6 vs 3d6, with the various combinations giving either a win/secondary win/partial success/fail conditions.

Win: enemy dead.

Secondary win: information retrieved/hostage rescued (a bonus/crit/special combo).

Partial: stunning or running without a penalty.

Fail: usually death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: Decktet challenge!Microbadge: Spirit Island - BlightMicrobadge: You will start to feel very sleepy...
Ryinth wrote:
I'm doing the first run on my combat mechanics at the moment - 3d6 vs 3d6...
Why roll two sets of dice, if one side is the game itself? You could amalgamate all the randomness into one roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Ryinth wrote:
I'm doing the first run on my combat mechanics at the moment - 3d6 vs 3d6...
Why roll two sets of dice, if one side is the game itself? You could amalgamate all the randomness into one roll.
Additional combinations - plus the skills/repetition of skills vary for the player characters. A scholar might have a combat die that has 1 - fight, 3 - stun, 2 - run away sides; whereas a barbarian might have 4 - fight, 2 - stun; etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls