Terra Mystica» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tunneling with Dwarves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently playing in a game on Snellman as Dwarves, and I noticed something peculiar. I tunneled to a given land under an opponent's land, paying my worker (I have my SH), transforming it from red to gray with a spade, and built a dwelling on it to score 4 points. Later in the same round, I tunneled across the river to another gray territory, built on it having NOT transformed it, and it scored me 0 points (technically 4 points due to having FAV11 and it being a D>>2 round). Bottom line, I was not given my 4 points for tunneling to a gray land on my second tunneling of the round, despite having to pay my worker.

From the FAQ:
"Can I Tunnel or Fly to a Terrain space without transforming it or building a Dwelling?

No, you must take the Transform and Build action to use this ability and get the VP, which means you must transform and/or build.

Can I use Tunneling or Carpet Flight to transform the same Terrain space several turns in a row, just to earn VP?

Yes, that's allowed."

This tells me:
1. That you get your points if you transform OR build, so just building should get me my points.
2. That you can tunnel, and score points, on more than one turn in a given round.

So, am I missing something, or is there a bug in Snellman? Has anybody else experienced this? Kind of a big deal.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Archon wrote:
I am currently playing in a game on Snellman as Dwarves, and I noticed something peculiar. I tunneled to a given land under an opponent's land, paying my worker (I have my SH), transforming it from red to gray with a spade, and built a dwelling on it to score 4 points. Later in the same round, I tunneled across the river to another gray territory, built on it having NOT transformed it, and it scored me 0 points (technically 4 points due to having FAV11 and it being a D>>2 round). Bottom line, I was not given my 4 points for tunneling to a gray land on my second tunneling of the round, despite having to pay my worker.

From the FAQ:
"Can I Tunnel or Fly to a Terrain space without transforming it or building a Dwelling?

No, you must take the Transform and Build action to use this ability and get the VP, which means you must transform and/or build.

Can I use Tunneling or Carpet Flight to transform the same Terrain space several turns in a row, just to earn VP?

Yes, that's allowed."

This tells me:
1. That you get your points if you transform OR build, so just building should get me my points.
2. That you can tunnel, and score points, on more than one turn in a given round.

So, am I missing something, or is there a bug in Snellman? Has anybody else experienced this? Kind of a big deal.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
It sounds like you're missing something. Can you post a link to the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just like that, I found the bug.

Given the opportunity to try again, the "preview" next to the "D" button to build your dwelling reads "-2c, -2w, 4vp" (note, again, that I have FAV11 and it is a D>>2 round). I am almost certain that I remember that it read "-2c, -2w, 8vp" when I transformed first (in the same action). However, when I click "D" to actually build on the land, it scores me 8 points on my VP total. So nevermind.

I should add that this is my first time playing Dwarves (in fact, first time ever having seen them played by anybody).

I do feel like this is probably an unintentional bug, and it *DID* affect my play earlier. I have no experience with Fakirs yet, so I question whether things are the same with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S9_D7L43_G5/dwarv...

I transformed G3 earlier and, as I mentioned, I am almost certain that it read "-2c, -2w, 8vp". When I tried to build to C2, it definitely read "-2c, -2w, 4vp". I just took my turn NOT building to C2, but, good news, I'm going to have another opportunity to transform AND build, so I will see then if it indicates the additional 4vp or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
The Archon wrote:
grant5 wrote:

http://terra.snellman.net/faction/4pLeague_S9_D7L43_G5/dwarv...

I transformed G3 earlier and, as I mentioned, I am almost certain that it read "-2c, -2w, 8vp". When I tried to build to C2, it definitely read "-2c, -2w, 4vp". I just took my turn NOT building to C2, but, good news, I'm going to have another opportunity to transform AND build, so I will see then if it indicates the additional 4vp or not.
I don't get what you perceive the bug to be. You were awarded 8 vp correctly when you built on G3

*EDIT* oh is it just a bug in what's displayed to you? not the actual implementation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
*EDIT* oh is it just a bug in what's displayed to you? not the actual implementation?
Correct. All other awards of VPs are displayed in the immediate action on the map upon building, upgrading, using spades, etc. In this case, it should have stated that I would get "8vp" instead of "4vp", as *I think* I remember it doing when I transformed AND built. I will, at some point soon (I think), be able to verify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
oh yeah, i've noticed, too, that the info popup tends to only reflect the vp's from the score tile +favor. (i think i've noticed most as Darklings when the vp from piest dig is missing)
I just look at how much coin i'm spending as a double check esp for trading posts =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think there are other cases. If you see one, please take a screenshot. (This one should be fixed now too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
I don't think there are other cases. If you see one, please take a screenshot. (This one should be fixed now too).
Thanks, Juho. I wasn't sure if you were monitoring activity on here; I'm glad to see that you are. I hadn't been able to check to see if it was different for transforming and building yet, but it appears to no longer matter.

As an aside, as a relatively new player to TM, I want to thank you for the online resource that you have programmed. It is spectacular! Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolster IEM
Antarctica
Connecticut
msg tools
mb

building d in last rnd; popup didn't show 2vp

i hope i'm doing the screenshot right

Thumb up