Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Zwicker
United States
Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to back the last kickstarter and really really want to back this one. The added shipping cost makes it to much for me. sorry

Can't wait for it to go on amazon so i can purchase it then, it will be worth the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
Microbadge: Live long and prosperMicrobadge: Cat loverMicrobadge: GrandCon attendeeMicrobadge: Reduce, Reuse, RecycleMicrobadge: I like learning games more than winning them!
With US shipping, the required pledge is $38. While I'll agree that a $2 discount from projected MSRP isn't a great "deal," keep in mind that there's a promo included that may be hard to track down otherwise, and the potential for an expansion (which I assume would carry at least a $20 MSRP on its own) to be added for all backers at no additional cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bigger problem is likely that it isn't getting great traction. If people don't back it, the game isn't going to get made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jme198 wrote:
The bigger problem is likely that it isn't getting great traction. If people don't back it, the game isn't going to get made.
Correct.
If we don't achieve funding, there won't be a game to buy on Amazon.
Thanks for giving us a look. There's a lot of game and content in that box for the price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bno70_1 wrote:
jme198 wrote:
Correct.
If we don't achieve funding, there won't be a game to buy on Amazon.
Thanks for giving us a look. There's a lot of game and content in that box for the price!
Totally agree with this point.

The sentiment by shallowz is one seen by a lot of others: they see that Kickstarter has become a pre-order platform for many publishers. Instead of "hey we want to make this cool thing but don't have the means" it has increasingly become "Run a pre-order campaign to get the hype going, and even if it fails it will still be coming". It's not technically wrong, but it does go against what Kickstarter was originally for.

It sucks because when people look at it like a pre-order platform projects which are truly labors of love may go unfunded and never see the light of day. I'm glad to see that Monster Truck Mayhem was given another shot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Monikers fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Dale of Merchants fan - I manage my cards with Scarlet Macaws
Too pricey to back is exactly my sentiment. $49 for shipping is too painful, however awesome the game is. This is the same reason i didn't back Great Heartland Hauling, nor other DHM games, yet regularly back IBC games.

International shipping is terrible to arrange, but if a good deal is available (see IBC, Stonemaier), there will be large numbers of worldwide backers hopping on and hyping it up.

I am a big fan of DHM games, i have listened to their State of Games podcast and religiously followed news about their past and upcoming games. But there isn't a good enough deal for me to pledge on KS, even if it means i may never have the game, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shipping cost is the same as the game. Sorry but that's a no-no for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally understand the intl shipping obstacle.

But I do believe you can bundle extra copies without adding more shipping if you could get a group order going.

Thanks again so much for checking us out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Johnston
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 'Never say there is nothing beautiful in the world anymore. There is always something to make you wonder in the shape of a tree, the trembling of a leaf.' - Albert SchweitzerMicrobadge: U.S. National Parks fanMicrobadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." — John MuirMicrobadge: Sauna fan
Perhaps also it is related to the fact that eagle gryphon games is a prime example of the preorder system, and at outrageous prices. In fact, I think they might already be printing the game before their kickstarters end (or start?)... And all of the rest of the great riddle/pinchback games are from Eagle/gryphon... I only backed one on kickstarter and that was because I wanted some promos.
I will not back because I have too many games, it is real time, and I don't back unless there is enough motivation over future retail( I know, in this case, it might not be printed) but still, it has to be at about 65% of msrp including shipping to be competitive with future pricing. Shouldn't kickstarter backers get at least that price? Some publishers offer games on kickstarter for good prices.
My 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Monikers fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Dale of Merchants fan - I manage my cards with Scarlet Macaws
Psychologically, no one wants to pay $50 shipping on a $30 game. $30 shipping for $30 game, a difficult maybe.

No one wants to have to pay THAT much more than someone else, simply because they have the misfortune of being born somewhere else.

I want to point out that other publishers HAVE made it possible to overcome that psychological barrier, through different means. The best way i feel is to lower shipping prices. It can be hidden in original pledge cost, it can be redistributed among US/international pledges, or better ways of shipping can be found.

As an example, Super Dungeon Explore had a large heavy box being sent for $30-$40. Indie B&C has packaged several games and sent them in a big box, shipping still less than $49. Above and Below shipped for $30, a bit more than i would have liked but tolerable. And Mayday Games probably ships straight from China, so I'm a little sour at paying $37 shipping for Coconuts plus Duo. These two games came in a ginormous box i could barely squeeze through my door.

So no, $49 is too much. I will play some other games, if i never get Monster Truck Mayhem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Microbadge: 2011 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2013 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2015 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
tdjohnst2 wrote:
...but still, it has to be at about 65% of msrp including shipping to be competitive with future pricing. Shouldn't kickstarter backers get at least that price? Some publishers offer games on kickstarter for good prices.
My 2 cents...
At least 65% of MSRP including shipping? No. Backers shouldn't get that price. That is online game store pricing with free shipping.

I could maybe agree with you if you were buying 3-4 copies, you know, to hit that $80-125 free shipping threshhold most OLGSs have in place.

I think DHMG is being reasonable here. From the initial campaign to now, the game is $10 less and shipping is $1 to $6 less ($21 for Australians).

We can talk about DHMG/GtG finding better shipping methods and better international support, but I think setting the bar for kickstarter/pre-order/etc pricing from a publisher at internet-store-prices-with-bulk-buy-shipping-discounts-but-without-the-bulk-buying-part is laughable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Canada
flag msg tools
JBMoby wrote:

We can talk about DHMG/GtG finding better shipping methods and better international support
This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure its going to be a fun game, its just not for me.

I am saving my money for Dice Hate Me Games to kickstart ...

Take the Bait!! - -Hint Hint - - Kwanchai Moriya art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvehunde wrote:
I am saving my money for Dice Hate Me Games to kickstart Take the Bait!
Good joke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Haarlem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of this game and if I were in the US would back in an instant. As a European backer, though, I can't justify paying 29 USD for a game that costs 29 USD. That's 58 USD in total.

This is actually a problem I have with all Greater Than and Dice Hate Me games. I would also buy Compounded and Heartland Haulage from their catalogue if shipping costs were less hefty. I did manage to find Breecrafters in a Eyropean store so lucked out there.

Maybe it would be interesting if there was a pledge level to add on an existing game to combine postage costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
fifisdead wrote:
wolvehunde wrote:
I am saving my money for Dice Hate Me Games to kickstart Take the Bait!
Good joke!

I wasn't joking, If they would kickstart Take the Bait, that would be amazing. We need a good fishing game. and with Kwanchai art = instant sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls