United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Reference:

Top Row Actions: Bolster, Move/Gain, Produce, Trade

Bottom Row Actions: Upgrade, Deploy, Build, Enlist

Our group was trying to come up with descriptive/thematic names for each group of actions that would be more evocative than "Top and Bottom Row".

Example: Economic (top) and Infrastructure (bottom) Actions

Issues: Moving isn't really an economic action, and Deploying mechs for infrastructure is a stretch (unless you consider their ability to move workers as the improvement to your infrastructure, that works a little better).

Thoughts? Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That works well enough for me. My only request to Jamey was to highlight the action titles somehow. They are kind of buried & not obvious in the current PnP files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
Microbadge: Wingspan: European ExpansionMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Tapestry - Exploration
When you deploy a mech, you are repairing it and bringing it back into service, so I could see that as Infrastructure. I don't see them moving around workers as that much of a stretch.

Maybe think of Moving as transportation (migration) of economic resources (labor)? A workforce moving from one region to another would certainly have economic ramifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with the labels "bottom" and "top"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Marstiller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
What's wrong with the labels "bottom" and "top"?
bootylactin wrote:
Our group was trying to come up with descriptive/thematic names for each group of actions that would be more evocative than "Top and Bottom Row".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea Jon, I got the same problem with 'Recruit'
The 'enlist new Recruits' label

Maybe think of recruit as an outstanding individual, idea/invention or a social movement in that faction ?

( I like to associate descriptive/thematic names when explaining rules too )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic actions and advanced actions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going along with the scythe meaphor bottom row and top row could be the Handle and the Blade. Or if you want to get technical the Snaith and the Chine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top Row: Prepare
Bottom Row: Progress

Other options:

Top Row: Muster, Foundational Actions...
Bottom Row: Enact, Developmental Actions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Schultz
United States
Rolling Prairie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
I like the sound of those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Maybe the bottom row as "Consumption", since that's where you consume most of your resources? Not sure what the top row would be in that case...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primary/secondary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Huss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Standard/Advanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Forcing a label where it doesn't belong is a worse offence IMO than using a boring, but suitable label. It creates confusion.

Unless there's a PERFECT fit with all the associated actions, I think "Top Row" and "Bottom Row" is still best. I'd say "Primary/Secondary" is my next choice....but even then, since you may forego the top and only do the bottom, I don't think it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
We are the primitive Aliens, oh yes we are.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Thanks, Aldie! - Yeah, I'm a suckup... So what?Microbadge: I Love BGG!Microbadge: BGG fan
gjjaros wrote:
thumbsup

I like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
I like "top row" and "bottom row." Coming up with different names is coming up with names that 90% of players will never use. Describing exactly what the players see makes the game easier to teach, easier to learn and easier to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:
gjjaros wrote:
thumbsup

I like these.
Thanks. My impression was that the actions in the top row are used primarily for hunkering down or positioning yourself for advancement. The bottom row is actually making those advancements, whether by building infrastructure, moving into offensive positions, or growing your forces. You're either preparing or progressing. I think they're both thematic, easy to understand and remember, and catchier than top row and bottom row. But I guess ultimately it's Jamey's decision. Anyone know if he's seen this thread yet? Or is he just basking in the glow of $1.8 million?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kortegaard
Denmark
Kbh N
flag msg tools
Activities/Developments?

"Each turn you do an Activity, followed possibly by a Development if you have the resources for it"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, I really appreciate your creativity and brainstorming, and I did see this thread, but it's not something we're going to change. That's not because I'm not open to changing nomenclature, but rather because I believe that "top-row action" and "bottom-row action" are by far the clearest way to convey those concepts to Scythe players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Keeping the nomenclature completely clear and understandable is... completely understandable.
While personally I'm partial to "Reaping" and "Sowing", I can see that an argument could be made for either row to take either description. (Though, in my mind, it is clearest that at times you can sow immediately after you reap, while you can't reap immediately after you sow.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls