Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King» Forums » General

Subject: Tell me about Arcade Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Resident Evil fanMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Hellboy: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fan
I bought the base game a while ago when it first came out but did not jump onto the kickstarter for Forgotten King due to wifey persuasion, but considering getting it now due to the Co-op mode.

But I have a few questions for those who play it.

Is Arcade Mode fun?
Is Arcade Mode good enough by itself to warrant buying? (as it would be the only mode we play)
Is it challenging enough?
How does it work?

Much appreciation for your help with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nippel Hack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, arcade mode is fun. I bought the game because of it and I like it. I find it challenging enough. Its not too difficult and you will win most of the times, but I always feel I have to play good enough to reach this victories. And there are many hints in the rulebook to raise the challenge.

The game does have its drawbacks though:
- The base game itself contains just one set of monsters. When playing with three heroes (which I would recommend) you will always have to battle the same three spawn points and same two mini bosses. And of course the endboss will also stay the same in every game. If you just play the game once in a while that doesn't matter too much, but if you'd play it more often you will need at least one warband box or level box expansion.
- You need at least two hours to finish a game. First games will last much longer. If you'd like to turtle add another hour or two.

So if you looking for fun miniature game sessions (it's not a dungeon crawler) with many kills and loot I can really recommend SDE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Resident Evil fanMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Hellboy: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fan
I also have Von Drak Manor and Rocktop whatever its called Expansions from the first run.
So I have some variety to play, just wanted to know if the base system for Arcade mode is fun, cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lanham
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arcade mode is the only mode i play, love it but each to their own.

The Von Drakk spawn points add some fun and interesting game mechanics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very refreshing too hear from someone who enjoys Arcade mode, it gets a lot of criticism it seems. Can't wait to get started.

And yes Legends seems like a nice addition, I just with there was a pledge forgotten just the core Legends box on the Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O'Connell
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Add another voice for "those that enjoy arcade mode". Much better to be with the group than against the group. It is just less confrontational and more inclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Excellent, let's get some good vibes flowing in this part of the forums!

Hope I get some time to sit down with it soon. Think I need a setup so I can "pause" my game when I need too. But I reckon I'll just do a test game with two heroes and one tile to get acquainted with the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AllDeadDave wrote:
Add another voice for "those that enjoy arcade mode". Much better to be with the group than against the group. It is just less confrontational and more inclusive.
Couldn't have put it better myself - this is my view too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xris Wraith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly solo Arcade mode. I play it as you would a computer game. Setup, play as long as I want to, return later to the game if I have to do sth else.
There are several house rules on the SPM forum to help tweak difficulty and time issues with both classic and arcade mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls