Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
I just got my copy of the game and hope to play it many times over the coming weeks. I am going to follow the advice of the game and hold off on using the doppelganger until we have several games under our belt. But I want to be prepared for when we include this role.

My item I need clarification on is how a swapped doppelganger works for end game revealing.

Let's say I begin as the doppleganger and I take a peek and discover that I am now a wolf after viewing a wolf card.
Then after I go to sleep, my role gets swapped with someone elses by a troublemaker.
Eventually the lying and deceiving ensue and the voting occurs and the cards are flipped. Suddenly I see I am a new role, and we see that Joe across the table has the doppelganger card. So at that point it is my responsibility as the original doppelganger to say, hey Joe, FYI you are a wolf."

Do I understand this correctly? The doppelganger retains it's new role even if the doppelganger card gets passed to a new player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
You got it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
That's correct. The doppleganger requires a certain level of honesty as it cannot be verified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
Cool. Thank you both.

So when you see you unexpectedly have a doppelganger card in front of you post voting, you will want to ask, "who am I???"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. If you robbed it, you'll probably spend most of the game trying to covertly figure out who the old doppel thinks she is, but if you got troublemade into it or something, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play it we usually have the Doppelgänger say which role he looked at after voting but before revealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
msg tools
mbmb
Late reply, but hopefully to shed some light on this subject; the rule book will often say he/she but this is actually referring to the card not the player. This confuses quite a lot of people in my experience. I'll usually begin by explaining that you are the card you have at the end when I teach the game to new players to avoid the possibility of people confusing the card he/she, with a person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls