1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: You are stuck on a deserted island with 3 people and 3 games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
So, there are 4 people.... and miraculously, the exact 3 games you want to play until you get rescued, are on the island.

What 3 games are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I refer you to this thread for advice on this topic: Which board game could be used as a murder weapon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Casey
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only brought two-player games, so first I need to arrange a couple of "accidents". That would also solve the problem of "what are we going to eat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
2019 unique titles | 2019 total plays
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been done a million times, but... what the heck...

Puerto Rico, Terra Mystica, Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
caseypd63 wrote:
I only brought two-player games, so first I need to arrange a couple of "accidents". That would also solve the problem of "what are we going to eat".
Two player games are great! That way two people can play and the other one can watch for black smokey. And after someone goes missing, we can still play!

I'm bringing Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Race for the Galaxy and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. Nothing like a bit of recursion to pass the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 challenge to play 10 games 10 times eachMicrobadge: I love symmetryMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: Tea drinker
Of course it has to be:
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

I think the replay value is high enough to only have that.
Maybe one can have one more game with a really large board as a sun and rain shelter -- in Robinson Crusoe, you learn painfully quickly how important shelter is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably pick something ridiculously long, like Twilight Imperium 3, even though I have never played it. Then maybe Dominant Species... and a long co-op game that is tough to win, like Robinson Crusoe. Also fairly thematic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be:

Source of the Nile
Magic Realm
Civilization

Anyway games with long play time.

And the rescuers have to wait until we have finished the game we are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GarlicGuy wrote:
So, there are 4 people.... and miraculously, the exact 3 games you want to play until you get rescued, are on the island.
All of which are games that play best with 5. You monster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Essen attendeeMicrobadge: German Board Game Championship fanMicrobadge: Proud member of the 12th Man | Go HAWKS!Microbadge: Rules TranslatorMicrobadge: Chemist
bnordeng wrote:
This has been done a million times, but... what the heck...

Puerto Rico, Terra Mystica, Pandemic
Almost agree, but replace pandemic by 504. 504 games to try and then replay the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, Blood Rage, Forbidden Stars, Spyfall.

I know, I know only 3 games allowed...well fine, then we'd just use cards from Dominion as Spyfall locations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desert ... Island you say?

Got to be Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island for the first two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GarlicGuy wrote:

What 3 games are they?
Diplomacy, Lifeboats & Twilight Imperium 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster, Smash Up, and Seasons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species - I never have enough time to play it currently!
Container - It would be fun to see how the strategy evolves over multiple games with the same 4 players.
504 - This is sort of cheating, as it is more like 504 games in one box. Plus you could invent your own games with all those components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Sharon
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Ages so I could finally finish the full game

504 because of its variety

Race for the Galaxy with all of the expansions, because even after 1200 plays I still love it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
#alwaysberunning
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Dominant Species.

If there would be more than 4 people I would have picked Cosmic Encounter as my first choice. With just 4 it's a little bit too short. I love my 6 player rounds. I guess I would pack Eclipse with all expansions as a #2 and maybe something completely new.. which I never have played before but for which I have the time to learn then. Maybe Race for the Galaxy with all expansions? Oh wait.. I can't get stuck on a deserted island without any Star Wars games. I go with the RPG from Fantasy Flight. P-p-p-erfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu (which we could use as a traditional deck to make other games if we wanted, but all I need is Tichu.)

Since I get two more...

Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror

Legendary: The Marvel Deckbuilder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega Civilization, War of the Rings Collector's Edition, Takenoko Collector's Edition. That ought to be enough to built a decent raft and get the heck off the island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we get the expansions thrown in, and if new expansions come out for the game will they magically arrive on the island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: Asheville Tourists fanMicrobadge: Pancake fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
Savory Oliver wrote:
I think I wouldn't want to play games at all, if I were marooned on an island. Little fussy pieces of cardboard and stupid shaped pieces of plastic would definitely feel irrelevant to my life there--perhaps dangerously so. Seems like wasted mental effort (and daylight / torchlight) that could be better spent seeing to survival, or at least comfort.

makes me think about how much comfort / safety / freedom is necessary for games to be meaningful at all, to me.

If I had 3 games and 3 people, I'd destroy the games immediately without looking at what they were so they wouldn't distract us, and then set the people to work gathering food or preparing shelter.

I'm thinking about other 'trapped' scenarios, and I think even if survival was taken care of, games would feel like a waste of time. My mind is going to the stories of that Canadian diplomat who was taken hostage in northern Africa by a terrorist group, and talked about fashioning a chess set to play with other hostages. I don't even think in that situation I would want to play games, I can imagine games annoying the hell out of me in such a dire situation. I'd rather plan escape.

I don't think any scenario where I was 'forced' to play games would work out well. I think the element of choice is essential for me here.
Boy, you sound fun.

ANYWAY, I'd probably go with Mysterium, Five Tribes, and maybe something like Clubs so I'd also have a deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we have nothing but time, Mage Knight Board Game (with all expansions of course) would certainly work. 4 players, 6 hours? No problem!

We would have to have something else with a lot of replayability, and depth. So... let's add Agricola with ALL the card decks out there.

Last but not least, a game that shines with 4 players, not much randomness at all and plays quicker than the other two for a game between naps, let's go with Terra Mystica, with Fire and Ice of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
a lot of these replies remind me of snarky "desert island disc" responses when asked "what 3/5/10 albums would you want with you on a deserted island?" and the answer is "how am I playing them without electricity?"

Just assume the question is like a Euro with a pasted on theme. The deserted island is merely a pretense for answering "what x number of things of a certain group you would want to live with to the exclusion of all other things in that group"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
a lot of these replies remind me of snarky "desert island disc" responses when asked "what 3/5/10 albums would you want with you on a deserted island?" and the answer is "how am I playing them without electricity?"

Just assume the question is like a Euro with a pasted on theme. The deserted island is merely a pretense for answering "what x number of things of a certain group you would want to live with to the exclusion of all other things in that group"
My query about 'do we get all the expansions thrown in for free, including the ones that aren't out yet?' still applies, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were marooned on an island, I imagine I would get tired of the three games I had and hence would probably need to back a few KickStarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |