Subject: some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am adding these as they come up during my first play:

What happens when I lose an immature elder to elder death? Does the disc stay on my placard or is it returned to my vocabulary?

On a related note: What in my mature elder is killed? I assume a new elder would start as immature again?

After reading the blizzard rules I am pretty sure you free the disk and new elders start immature (although this is not stated specifically in the rules as far as I can tell).

How does the culture auction work? Example2 under D7 makes it sound like the auction only goes around once (every player has exactly one chance to make a bid). Is this correct? I am asking since I would interpreted the last sentence under the bid procedure bullet point to mean that the auction goes round and round until no one is willing to go higher...

I had to call the game before I could finish it but I think the rest of the rules are clear to me.

On an unrelated note: Half of Europe's Neanderthal population was killed while collecting Honey... Freaking Killer Bees ! Thank you for another great game Phil !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my understanding from play testing. The final rules may have changed...

1. On immature elder death, the disc is returned to your vocabulary.

2. There is no "automatic" immature elder replacement when a mature elder dies, but you can create a new immature elder when you assign hunters.

3. I believe everyone starts immature.

4. There can be multiple increases in the culture auction, but once you are out, you are out; you cannot jump in and out of the auction. You also may not be eligible to participate in the auction (e.g., if you are tribal.)

This is one of the most thematic of Phil's card games. Every time I played it, I felt like I had an interesting story at the end of the game. I hope I got the answers right to your questions, and that you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Will's answers. Just to repeat:
1. In D3, I added to the living rules to clarify: He consigns the dead cube to the deadpile, and if it is immature, returns the disk to his vocabulary.
2. & 3. New elders start immature during hunter assignment as stated in E2 (1st bullet).
4. The Bid Procedure is as stated in D7: • Bid Procedure. Any vocal player can initiate the bid by announcing a number of disks and any other vocal player can match this or increase it. When bidding, you do not need to specify the disk color. When nobody is willing to go higher, the high bidder wins and the losers get their bids returned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls