Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently planning to perform rendezvous test with two probes in Earth orbit. (This is allowed, I think?)

My question is: if one or both of the probes become damaged, can you still try the rendezvous manoeuvre? (Can't see anything in the rules to prevent it.)

TIA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Niles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the criteria you have to meet to perform a rendezvous action (Rendezvous, p27):
1) You have to have the Rendezvous advancement.
2) If you're docking, both spacecraft have to be in the same location.
3) If you're docking, both spacecraft have to have no time tokens on them.
4) The spacecraft can't be on Earth or in Suborbital Flight.
5) If you're separating, any astronauts on board must have a seat after the separation.

If you meet all of those criteria, you can do the action. If you don't, you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

See: Re: Re-rendezvous attempt after failure & damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Here are the criteria you have to meet to perform a rendezvous action (Rendezvous, p27):
1) You have to have the Rendezvous advancement.
2) If you're docking, both spacecraft have to be in the same location.
3) If you're docking, both spacecraft have to have no time tokens on them.
4) The spacecraft can't be on Earth or in Suborbital Flight.
5) If you're separating, any astronauts on board must have a seat after the separation.

If you meet all of those criteria, you can do the action. If you don't, you can't.
So, in other words, damage doesn't matter....... The rendezvous attempt can still take place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Thanks Robert. I've read every thread here on the forum, and somehow I still managed to forget this one. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, which actually gets kinda ridiculous cause you just keep banging them together, paying off the failures until you're sure there are no more failure outcomes.

People have suggested that in their games they hit a threshold, say 10 straight successes, where they just decide to call it good and look at the remaining cards and discard all successes.

So if you've got $10 (enough to clear 2 possible failures) and two components in space, you can completely prove out Rendezvous in one turn.

I house rule it that you can't rendezvous with damaged components, UNTIL you've perfected rendezvous. Makes perfecting rendezvous more interesting, the UNTIL clause preserves the option of rendezvousing with a damaged capsule and letting your mechanic astronaut repair it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Niles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're actually having a discussion on this topic over here in another thread. I think this may be an issue that needs a small rule change to fix -- I'm kind of surprised this didn't come up at all during playtesting, yet now that we've seen it, it seems obvious that something is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:

So if you've got $10 (enough to clear 2 possible failures) and two components in space, you can completely prove out Rendezvous in one turn.
$15 if there are three failures (and the chance of detroying one or both components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. $15
 Thumb up
 tip