8 Posts

BGG» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: WIP - d'Ice Hockey rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Siemens
msg tools
Hey all - first post on this forum!!

Little background...I play hockey in real life. I work as an IT administrator for a living. Any given day you may find me painting Warhammer 40k figures, playing ice hockey, working on my Dodge Viper, driving R/C cars...I have many, many hobbies.

Last year I decided that I wanted to combine a few of my hobbies into a board game. I constructed a board, hex-based, in the shape of a hockey rink and started doing some play testing. Due to the complex nature of hockey, we found it really difficult to come up with a fair set of rules for movement without getting overly complicated (think...Blood Bowl). I wanted the game to be a little more accessible than that.

I dropped the project for a while and kind of had the idea out of the blue to resort to cards entirely. What I've been brewing up is a non-CCG card and dice game. It will be somewhat in the vain of Magic... Instead of lands, though, you will get fans. Instead of creatures battling each other and then dealing damage to the player, there will be player cards that are brought into play that try to create shots on goal. Once a shot on goal happens, a chance/dice-based mechanic will determine the success of the shot.

Of course, the player will likely start with a bare-bones group of rookies and be able to "summon" better players, upgrade current players, etc, during the course of the game. As getting a licensing deal with the NHL is out of the question, the players will all be fictional and a CCG model will not be feasible. Not that I would want that anyway.

There are one or two card-based hockey games out there, but I don't feel like they truly capture the spirit of the sport, the randomness, and the excitement.

Next post will be a rundown of the rules I have right now, just to get them out in the open, for everyone here to critique.

The art style will be clean and minimalist and, while I'm by no means a graphic artist, I can probably pull off most of the graphics myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Siemens
msg tools
First draft of some disjointed notes regarding the rule set / game flow....

MTG type game flow

Instead of lands/mana, use “Fans”. “Fans” cards can be worth 1, 2, or 3 points (maybe just all 1 point, like MTG lands).

Beginning of turn = untap all tapped cards

Players start with 5 default players and a default goalie. Basic stats, not overly powerful. Or….players start with no players in play, and they have to get them onto the play field MTG-style?

On a player’s turn, he can tap a player of his to play offense, or leave his player untapped to be available for the offensive phase of his opponent’s turn

Unless affected by an ability, player cards can be tapped and activated in defensive mode at any time (i.e., you can tap and activate any untapped players during your opponent’s turn to interrupt or disrupt his offensive plays)

Fan points can be used to tap players and activate them. Fan points can also be used to draft players. X fan points can be spent to draw from the “Draft” deck. Draft deck will have many types of players. All drafted players will be, for the most part, better in abilities than the default players you start with. Maybe 5 fan points buys you a random draft pick and 10 fan points buys you a “draw 3 and keep the one you want” draft pick.

Fan points may also be used to draw more cards.

Main game deck can be comprised of more fan cards, penalty cards, equipment/player upgrades, and action cards (shoot, pass, hit, fight, etc)

Success of shooting and other abilities can be governed with dice rolls. Say a player has a passing ability of d8… He wants to attempt a pass, and that requires 4 or higher to accomplish. Another player may have a d4 or d6 for passing, making passing difficult or even not really feasible.

In the shooting phase, when a successful shot is achieved, the goalie/shooter mini-game will occur. This may involve a hex grid of the goal and would consist of the defensive player defending several sections of the goal and the shooter placing his shot, both in secret. A very good shooter might be able to reduce the coverage of the goalie. The shooter, depending on his skill, might have a shot template that he has to follow. The shooting template could also be a hex grid, with every space numbered, with the center being the number 1 (representing a perfect shot) and other numbers representing other grid spots (the lower the number, the closer to the target the shot will be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Hi Jason,

I feel like thematically, using "fans" to activate players and recruit better ones doesn't quite work. I would say using "Coaches" to activate players or play ability cards would make more sense, and using "Managers" to draft/recruit new players.

If you only want one type of resource to cover this, maybe "Front Office" or something similar could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Siemens
msg tools
Perhaps "salary" or something like that?

I see what you mean, thematically, using fans to power a player's actions doesn't make perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PlushGoomba wrote:
First draft of some disjointed notes regarding the rule set / game flow....
(snip...)
I too have many, many hobbies- and too little time. (Welcome to BGG, by the way!!!!) And I also want to see a good game without air or rods...

My actual playing is very limited, but I've been a fan for the sport for nearly 40 years. I'm not 100% sure a MTG would work... but it's been a while since I've had some serious MTG playing...

Since current teams are based on lines of forwards or defense, could you structure a "round" of a game where a player plays their line of forwards against your defense? The round would be a rush up the ice to try to score a goal.

And like regular games, once a line comes off the ice, it's a bit before they go back out? So maybe flip over a line that comes off the ice. After the next round, they get flipped back over, but are tapped/rotated so they would play at a lesser "power" if they were put back out on the ice?

You can then use these rounds (shifts) to count penalties and periods as well. Maybe 5 shifts/rushes up the ice for each team is a period.

And I think the shooting idea works well. And the goalie can only get changed between periods.

You can also use the physical placement of the cards- if I put my forward and winger on the same side, that might give a bonus to a shot from there if there's no defender between them. A play mat might have "zones" to help with this.

Anywhooooo...Keep at it. There's a hockey fan in Texas cheering for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Siemens
msg tools
I will take those suggestions into account when we get some serious play-testing done. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Thread Necromancer... I revive dead threads.Microbadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Tokyo/Osaka Game Market attendeeMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
Love the name!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent B
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Jason,

This is a great idea. I think sports are underrepresented in the world of designer games in general.

I echo Charles' comment about the name - it's great.

I've never played MTG (or any other CCG to my knowledge) so I don't know how helpful I can be.

Personally, I've been on a big "dual use" cards kick lately and was wondering if this would be something which could be integrated here.
As an example, could each player/card have 2 abilities, giving players the choice of which ability (run / shoot or attack / defend or punch / shoot for example) to use for each card they play?

Just a thought - never really seen this used before so not sure how / if it could work.

Good luck with your design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls