Renan Stigliani
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Westeros,

As you may already know, the Targaryen family has refused to join the hold of the Free Cities.
I refused for I have bigger aspirations; Westeros will bend the knee and pledge loyalty to the blessed Valiryan Dynasty.*

The choice is your my lords, servitude, or Fire and Blood.

Aegon Targaryen, future King of Westeros

Hello folks,

I am working in a variant, it contains new houses, cards, some rules and map changes. The goal is to provide a scenario of the War of Conquest: the war that resulted in Targaryen dynasty becoming the kings and rulers of Westeros.

I am a beginner in the base game, but I love to design and tweak games, so I though I'd give it a try. I would really appreciate feedback, the game is far from done. I still don't have the art of the cards, and the map image is almost done. After that I intend to do a browser map and set up a playtest.

Anyway, different that most people do I wrote the rules in Github, here is the link

ANY opinions are GREATLY appreciated

MAP PREVIEW:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Knutsson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Renan,

I like your idea of using the AoE castles and barracks as your castles and strongholds.

You have a few design flaws in your map that could easily be fixes.

1) your crown symbols are way to dull to keep track of. You need to either change the symbol or find a way to enhance it of the map. (I suggest the first)

2) Make the boarders between the regions brighter and a little bit thinner.
I also recommend making the water region boarders another color. (their is valid reason why they are done the way they are in the base game).

once you have figured out the names of the region, starting positions and cards, it will be a lot easier to start looking at possible changes within the region structure.

But finish this map first, map up your ideas of how each house would look like and we can go from there.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Stigliani
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysandestolpe wrote:
Hey Renan,

I like your idea of using the AoE castles and barracks as your castles and strongholds.

You have a few design flaws in your map that could easily be fixes.

1) your crown symbols are way to dull to keep track of. You need to either change the symbol or find a way to enhance it of the map. (I suggest the first)

2) Make the boarders between the regions brighter and a little bit thinner.
I also recommend making the water region boarders another color. (their is valid reason why they are done the way they are in the base game).

once you have figured out the names of the region, starting positions and cards, it will be a lot easier to start looking at possible changes within the region structure.

But finish this map first, map up your ideas of how each house would look like and we can go from there.

Good luck.
Oscar, thanks for the feedback!

1) Yeah, I didn't like it either, I will choose another one, but for now I put some borders around it
2) Definitely will thin up the inner border, how about the new rivers? Are they any better?

Also, I have updated the map in the first post with the initial positions, you can see the cards and other changes here

PS: The map still lacks the ports, but they are all in the default locations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Knutsson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool man!

What i would do however, is to illustrate the placement of all the troops and ships for starting locations. In that case you can see better how moves can elevate from those positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Stigliani
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysandestolpe wrote:
cool man!

What i would do however, is to illustrate the placement of all the troops and ships for starting locations. In that case you can see better how moves can elevate from those positions.
Sorry, but I think I did that on this map:

Isn't that what you mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Stigliani
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated version of the map, now with all the position on the Lands and Tracks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Stigliani
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked for some feedback from @schiminky, and made some small changes. One can see the changed bits here

Full rules here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls