Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, its probably just me, but one thing that bothers me about the game is making up my own map. I always feel like I have no creativity or will draw maps that favor me in some way.

I know that 'real' solitaire Magic Realm, I'm largely in control of building my own map as well, but at least there, there is a random shuffle of tiles that could mess me up.

I keep hoping someone will upload a small set of created maps for us apprehensive mapmakers.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been toying around with the idea of setting up a series of Scenario maps that pay homage to the Lost City and Lost Castle from big Magic Realm. It'll be interesting to see how well people do on the same map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Loving you is like loving the dead
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
TaleSpinner wrote:
I've been toying around with the idea of setting up a series of Scenario maps that pay homage to the Lost City and Lost Castle from big Magic Realm. It'll be interesting to see how well people do on the same map.
How about scenarios with alternate versions of the town based on the dwellings, with different appearance charts for the NPCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TaleSpinner wrote:
I'd be very interested in these.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
TaleSpinner wrote:
Have you ever thought about a MR Medium 60 game?

Keeping it all as simple as you have done at the moment, but perhaps a few more regions per game, more spells, more allies, more locations, more different options so it's not just about combat etc. Maybe more immersive (names for the regions etc) so it feels less like a training exercise, and some of the scenario's from Jay's Book of Quests so you're not just going around and earning some points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonMarsh30 wrote:
TaleSpinner wrote:

Keeping it all as simple as you have done at the moment, but perhaps a few more regions per game, more spells, more allies, more locations, more different options so it's not just about combat etc. Maybe more immersive (names for the regions etc) so it feels less like a training exercise, and some of the scenario's from Jay's Book of Quests so you're not just going around and earning some points?
So, you're looking for an expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
DenGad wrote:
JonMarsh30 wrote:
TaleSpinner wrote:

So, you're looking for an expansion?
Weeeell, partly it's just a suggestion as Talespinner is doing this for free and he's under no obligation, and partly I'm curious as to whether he has plans.

I think I'm talking about a larger "base game" rather than an expansion. MRL30, to my mind anyway, comes across as a bit if a training exercise, but with a few tweaks could become more of a game with a fully fledged world that could be replayed numerous times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there are plans for an expansion called the 'MRL30*' expansion. Currently this is under the Proposal stage:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1359415/magic-realm-light-30...

Feel free to put your ideas in this thread, because I'll be definitely trawling it for what should go in.

IMHO, MRL30 feels like a training exercise because it IS a training exercise! The goal of MRL30 is to gradually introduce the basic rules of Magic Realm to new players, so as to give them some confidence of trying out the actual game which they bought from some Op shop years ago and is still sitting there taking up shelf space. As a plus, it is an entertaining mini game even for veteran players who might want to scratch the MR itch in less than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
TaleSpinner wrote:
Actually, there are plans for an expansion called the 'MRL30*' expansion. Currently this is under the Proposal stage:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1359415/magic-realm-light-30...

Feel free to put your ideas in this thread, because I'll be definitely trawling it for what should go in.

IMHO, MRL30 feels like a training exercise because it IS a training exercise! The goal of MRL30 is to gradually introduce the basic rules of Magic Realm to new players, so as to give them some confidence of trying out the actual game which they bought from some Op shop years ago and is still sitting there taking up shelf space. As a plus, it is an entertaining mini game even for veteran players who might want to scratch the MR itch in less than an hour.
Interesting. I replied in the thread you highlighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls