T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: Asylum: Questions about Eugène (English) [MILD SPOILER] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
Eugène's ability reads, "When Eugene moves alone onto a space, he spends an extra [black] TU." We had trouble inferring exactly what was meant by this; can someone confirm which is the correct interpretation?

1: "When Eugene moves onto a space, if he is the only one on that space when movement is done, he costs an extra TU." If this is correct, does his ability trigger when initially moving into a new location?

2: "When Eugene moves onto a space, if he is the only one to move onto that space this turn, he costs an extra TU." (note that someone may already be occupying the target space, but he/she didn't move this turn)

3: "If Eugene is not accompanied by someone during one of his moves, he costs an extra TU for that move." (this implies that someone has to be with him during every move).

4: "If Eugene is the only one to move, he costs an extra TU." (i.e., if everyone else either rolls or does nothing)

Part of our difficulty with this is that we were able to justify all four of the above interpretations thematically!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

According to his story and his illness, he think he can't walk, so he always sit on the wheelchair. Unless someone move with him from one space to another space to help pushing his wheelchair, he will use more time that usual to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
Always if you place his token on a space and it is the only one, it will cost the whole team 1 TU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan Kane wrote:
Always if you place his token on a space and it is the only one, it will cost the whole team 1 TU.
That's a weird way of putting it. Both characters have to start and end at the same space, the way I understood it. The 2nd character is pushing the wheelchair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard E. Kodys
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this questions in a former thread and the official answer has been:

blue_bomber wrote:
3: "If Eugene is not accompanied by someone during one of his moves, he costs an extra TU for that move." (this implies that someone has to be with him during every move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing with four players it could be a good idea to pair him up with Madeleine, as she doesn't want to be alone. This way you don't suffer the negative effects of either character and with two more players you can still cover most of the cards at any location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Copper GeeklisterMicrobadge: Alice in Wonderland fan - Cheshire CatMicrobadge: Cheese lover
gerraldo wrote:
I asked this questions in a former thread and the official answer has been:

blue_bomber wrote:
Would it be safe to say that the best way to write this would be "If Eugene OCCUPIES a space alone, it will cost an extra TU to perform his next action"? Meaning, what if Eugene doesn't move, but the person or people who were on the space with him moved away from him (or die)? Since the official rules only specifically address being placed on or moving to a space, it seems to me it would not cost him an extra TU to stay put, and would only cost if he moved to a space without someone already being there or moving there with him.

Having researched, and now reading this, what left me still scratching my head here is that the quote above says "during one of his moves". In English, "move" can mean actually changing location (moving), but it can also mean taking a turn/performing an action (which in this case can be any number of things, not necessarily physically relocating the character). So my interpretation of the above could go either way.

My intuition tells me the intent of the writers is that Eugene can simply never be unaccompanied, EVER. That means if he is taking his TURN, whether moving to a new space or performing any of the given actions, someone has to be by his side, period. If the chaperone who is with him on the space dies, for instance, it is going to cost an extra TU for him to do anything on his next turn, whether it be relocation to another player (new chaperone!), or stay put and perform an action. The only time it would not cost him another TU to stay and perform an action is if another player used their action to move to the space he is on BEFORE he chooses to execute his action, thus assuring he is accompanied before he takes the action.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls