Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.. if any =P

Backed Euphoria but still haven't played it.

Backed Between two cities but was "meh" on it and I'm "meh" to it now to but at-least he has his money back warranty.

That one of course is around here too.

$59+9 to Sweden.

In Between two cities I just backed the regular edition and I'm totally glad I did by now because different wooden tokens? Make no difference whatsoever!

As an individual from a nationality/ethnicity going through extinction (surely there will be people of Swedish nationality in the future as-well. But they won't all be my people / share the same history) the coins and being part of the story draws me in. The graphics for them is very nice the actual photo not as impressive. Normally I have little interest in purchasing "like real coins" because they also most often cost at least as much as real coins but aren't and aren't worth much and just cost money for something which sit in a box for no purpose. I guess they are still among the finest there is and even though the theme won't fit really (then again back in the days coins from various places was used and spread so whatever) they have normal enumerations which make them useful as pimped up coins in other games as-well.

However they seem to ONLY be used for scoring? I haven't watched the video yet. If they are only scoring tokens I don't know whatever they matter all that much?

They are $20 for 80 or $0.25 each. Decent. I guess. Depending on what shipping are from the website later on they may be sell-able too and is at-least a better purchase now than later but yeah. Nothing one really need.

Next tier is the realistic resources. They look WAAAY better than the wooden ones if that's how they will look but of course they don't make a game and it's a mix which won't work well with any other game I guess and they are also sold in the .. treasury chests or whatever they are called where one can get what one need for a game. So if one want them as generic tokens for lots of games maybe that's a better purchase than buying them in a set like this. It also have the bigger map but I assume there's no reason to actually play on a bigger map? Can't be a need for it I guess and in most cases people likely wish their games took up less space ..

Guess that one is even harder to justify.

But sure, nicer. But we're talking a $59 game which in SEK is 510 SEK or with shipping 586 SEK. That's at least as much as a normal sized FFG game. Fury of Dracula 500+ right now, A game of thrones 450, Mission red planet 400.

Terra Mystic cost like 500 too, so it's the same price as any of those very playable and enjoyable games.

Now going for $108 or push it up to 931 SEK. I could had got a TI:III copy with both expansions fully sleeved and in plastic boxes for 1000. That's super-expensive and more expensive than any normal game I've bought except Duel of Ages II and I also backed Carson City.

I've paid little more for my BSG with three expansions.

To actually keep a game that pricey I guess it should be really good or one should use the money-back option.

The thing is however that it may be "good as any game"-good and 600 SEK for it may be totally fine whereas it may not be OMG IT'S THE MOST AWESOME HOLY GRAIL worth 900+ SEK.

And what to do then?

Is it better to just go standard because the other are just swag for little purpose and won't make the game any single bit better?

Then again I know most people GO for the swag though. For some reason. And yeah, more thematic and maybe it interest people more for a second hand KS-copy with that or maybe the retail game will cost less than the $68 if one don't use it and it's better to not back it at all. I don't know. But since the swag will be around later too I doubt it will be viewed as something carrying a lot of value, likely something which at resale will be valued less than the cost of it.

What to do what to do?

I haven't checked the videos yet. I'm quite tired too (21:59) and there's likely a lot to check out and little focus on my side =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I won the Tabletopia contest and guess I will be taking Terra Mystica. I kinda have an easy time to pick up area-control games, own Cyclades and have always had the intention to get Kemet. But I could also get Wallenstein, backed Blood rage, Chaos in the old world/Cthulhu wars, and so on, there's plenty of dudes on a map games (Mission: Red planet too but I'd considered that more of a Citadels replacement.)

So it won't be a unique game there. I guess. Then again I don't know how it plays and all the player powers and so on. I read something about the stars which seemed "eeh" but then again it's a euro so..

Rex is also something I've considered / is quite likely to purchase. It also cost much less (well, 499 now so not really vs the retail version.)

(7.5 rating mention punish the leader and spreading out at the end of the game for points even if that made no sense before(?) and punish the leader is an issue in lots of games where one play on the same map / lots of games in general but it's quite tragic. Spreading out to gather points if it's not thematic is kinda unlucky, but in any non-thematic game it would of course just be how to play the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The coins are used during the game as well, not just during final scoring. They come in for certain actions, and you will need to pay coins to do some other actions. Leftover coins you haven't spent will be part of your final score. Up to you how cool it is to handle metal coins vs cardboard. Either way the game will be playable.

Realistic resources are purely a matter of preference. I want the game to stand out, so I went big and got them with the Collector's edition. The wooden tokens would serve fine however, and are still better than just wooden cubes.

All the goodie upgrades are not necessary, but they'll never be cheaper to get than during the campaign. You have less than 2 hours to decide, as all pledges are final when the campaign ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Voon CHIN
Brunei
flag msg tools
Hi all!

Its now an hour away before kickstarter campaign ended. Can anyone tell me is the game really worth getting?

Tell me something that makes it so worth gettinggg!!

and it cost usd$35 to ship + entry level reward of $59

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's expensive to ship to Brunei, Sin! If we had a cheaper way to ship there, we would. I'm sorry about that. Most of our shipping rates are very low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JumboCactaur wrote:
The coins are used during the game as well, not just during final scoring. They come in for certain actions, and you will need to pay coins to do some other actions. Leftover coins you haven't spent will be part of your final score. Up to you how cool it is to handle metal coins vs cardboard. Either way the game will be playable.

Realistic resources are purely a matter of preference. I want the game to stand out, so I went big and got them with the Collector's edition. The wooden tokens would serve fine however, and are still better than just wooden cubes.

All the goodie upgrades are not necessary, but they'll never be cheaper to get than during the campaign. You have less than 2 hours to decide, as all pledges are final when the campaign ends.
Yeah what I did was I started watching his own 47 minutes video for like 6 minutes or so and saw the money being used there and the Terra mystica style of keeping track of benefits and costs from what you have built (which seem to be a really nice way of doing that if the end result is quite complicated. Maybe TI:III could had used that for the stats for ships for instance?)

So one spend victory points =P, different concept! Or well, some other games does it too but mostly as in extreme cases. Maybe final score had other things too (since something/someone mentioned areas under control before.)

Personally I think awesome metal coins which also work with other games (they are generic enough, like for instance with Carson City their coins have the age the game plays out in and one large bill / something saying Carson city which destroys the theme for another game somewhat, in this case since we have German, Scandinavian, Arabic, .. coins with very commonly used amounts of money that's not really a problem) can be worth $20 to handle.

AFAIK Jamey seem to think it's worth having as realistic resources in a game as possible. I also like the fimo(?) clay characters and resources people have made.

Yeah, guess the wooden tokens was more realistic than cubes, they seem to try to copy the profile of the realistic other-material-tokens . Maybe I would had picked different shapes but regardless they tell what they are and are likely just fine. I've got little problem with components in any game. Never got Mission: Red planet the last time even though I kinda liked it and definitely would prefer to play that over Citadels because people complained that the map easily broke. I like the linen finish boards of FFG such as Arkham horror and X-Com, they beg to be touched to see how they feel! =P

I ended up deciding by not deciding =P, by that what I mean is that I was tired and at first had thought that I should sleep 00-01 or something to then wake up a little clearer and finish of the videos and decide. But for safety I backed at $59 and then I started to watch the video. For safety or something I increased to $99 and then went to sleep for 50 minutes but I never heard the alarm (10 times on full blast) and woke up 03:45 with help of my restless brain instead but then it had already been decided for me of course (KS ended 03:00) - So no problem - All sorted out! =P

Set the alarm to 05:30 to do the BGG contest but never woke up for that either and now it's 10:19

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Dole Melipone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late for backing at a higher value, but since some special versions will also be in retail:

I'd highlight that the special resource containers are supposed to dramatically reduce setup time. So at least in the case of the Premium version you are getting more than just aesthetic improvements...

I guess you could figure out a way to use your own plastic containers. That may work out a bit cheaper, but I'd prefer something designed to go in the box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dole: That's true, those plastic containers are (I think) the one element in the KS versions of Scythe that we're not selling separately. It's just that they don't ship well when packed externally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Dole Melipone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Dole: That's true, those plastic containers are (I think) the one element in the KS versions of Scythe that we're not selling separately. It's just that they don't ship well when packed externally.
I guess they are bulky and require a lot of protective packaging relative to the weight and item price? As someone who works with carriers I can see why these could be awkward especially for international shipments!

PS: Disclaimer on my comments: I went all in for the Art Conn version! I think the art, story background and component design really adds to the game... Of course mechanics come first but an attractive game means players have more fun in my view. As a result I tend to pimp my games meeple

PPS: as someone who has missed out on KS exclusives before, I can imagine really appreciating the Scythe approach of selling add ons/special editions after the project is funded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dole: Right, that's exactly correct about the plastic containers.

Thanks for getting the nicest version of Scythe! That's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls