Subject: Considering purchasing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The game isnt all that complex really, most of the rulebook is art or tables that you consult with a dice roll. The rules themselves start at page 24 and end at page 100, But those pages are filled with art and very little text overall.

The way the game works, its very modular in that it introduces complexity the more you play, initially there arent that many things you need to keep track of but as the game progresses more and more gets added.

2. a total campaign would probably last 15 to 20 hours. But the chances of you finishing a campaign in your first attempt are slim. The game is designed to be played for a few hours then packed away and then continued again. You have sheets to write down gear etc for your survivors so you can continue later.

3. the rrp of the game is $400.00 the game also has roughly 10 expansions planned.

4. at a look of the sprues they seem quite complex and will take some time but to play the initial part of the game you just need 4 survivors and a white lion.

5. i recommend the game simply because no other game matches KDM in terms of the type of gameplay it provides. Its very unique. Also the game allows solo play meanig you can play it almost anytime you have some free time even without friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I consider the game a medium weight game. The rulebook is thick because it holds all of the events and encounter data in it. Trust me, the game is really easy to get into and the prologue will lead you through the start-up.

2. This is really subjective. Somebody ripped through the campaign in one weekend, literally skipping sleep to do it. Each lantern year (single session) takes about 1.5 to 2 hours or so and stacking that up, you are looking at about 30 to 40 hours of gameplay to get through the campaign - IF you get through it which is unlikely the first time around.

3. Right now the game is at $300 or so on the second market (pre-orders are over). If it goes full MSRP, then it will be $400. In the future, if it becomes collectible, well who knows.

4. The figures are complex. I won't lie. If you use care, you should do fine. I find the building highly rewarding, but I like modeling in general.

5. I am a fanboy for the game so Yeah, I would recommend it. It is the ONLY game that extends gameplay past the battlefield into the settlement; where you will experience life and death from birth to hopefully retirement (ultra rare by the way). This game has a visceral feel to it that no other game I have played even comes close to. You name your charactors; you build weapons, armor, potions, etc in hopes that they might survive the next fight. You match up a pair in hopes that they might give birth to a savior and hope the mother doesn't die in childbirth. You shudder when your character dies; she survived several encounters by some form of miracle but her luck ran out. Damn it. However it was never about her, it is about the survival of your settlement. So, you return back to the hutches and debate amongst your gaming group on how you want to use your hard earned booty. Do you endeavor to uncover the next great discovery or do you build that Bone axe that you have been wanting? It is all in the game....but I digress....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1- the game's on the light side, easy rules, lots of options and variety
2- 15-20 hours is extremely short. Expect your first successful campaign to be at least 30 and that's if you make quick decisions/little debate
4- fairly. Not the worst, but I probably wouldn't recommend it without hobby experience.
5-highly recommend, it's fast (on a decision-by-decision basis), pretty challenging but seems balanced even with the random stuff, co-op, has a ton of replay value, and has good atmosphere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
First off this game really looks inspiring, from the art to components to everything. But I have a few questions.

1) How complex is it really? I noticed 223 page rulebook - that scares me. I have noticed however it looks more like an art book then a rulebook. The most complex game I've played is Mage Knight and it was more or less no problem to learn - should I be scared of the complexity of this?

2) How long might a total campaign last? Can I take down the game between plays or do you have to leave it up for the full campaign? (I have monstrous cats).

3) What is the general MSRP range? I am considering buying if it goes up for sale and am curious what it initially cost.

4) How hard is it to assemble the mini's? I've never done that.

5) Would you recommend the game? Why?
1 - Not too complex, at least no more than any other tactical combat game. The rules walk you through the first showdown which makes learning pretty easy. The book is full of art and fluff too which gives it the high page count.

3 - MSRP is $400. That seems crazy but when I've run the cost breakdowns on what was included, and the quality, it's not only comparable to what other games would run with the same, I've found it a bit cheaper even. So if you can find it for $300 of less, it's a great value. However, if you're not a miniatures person or familiar with that segment of the gaming market, the price will be hard to rationalize. If you still really want the game but don't think the miniature hobby portion will float your boat, you can easily sell them for $200 to $400 right now if you take the time to part them out on eBay or the marketplace here. Then you can use proxies for the actual game itself.

4 - Assembling just takes time and patience, and getting over the intimidation of doing it and fearing to screw up, which you can if you're not careful with a hobby knife or you use too much glue. Experiment first by cutting out a section of the sprue and cut and glue that until you get a good feel with how much pressure is needed with a hobby knife and how little glue you need (less is better in most cases). You might also want to pick up a set of hobby files to remove any mold lines if you plan on painting them.

5 - If you were already into miniatures and gaming, without a doubt. If you think you might enjoy getting into the miniature hobby, certainly. If you have doubts but don't mind taking the time to sell the minis, go for it. If it's only the game you're interested in and don't want to spend time selling anything, see if you can find a mini-less one for sale. Why? The unforgiving tactical combat and clever AI system, fun but tough community decisions (especially if played as a group), and the rich narrative the game will provide over many play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
Sounds very cool - I didn't think the price was THAT high though (lol). Also the miniature building scares me a tiny bit but I enjoy learning how to do new things (just would be scared of screwing them up).

Game does sound very interesting - especially as I WANT to play it solo (am looking for more 'epic' solo games).

Another question: I take it you HAVE to play with 4 characters at all times? How complex does the book keeping get for this? Or does it kind of 'build up' as some have said and isn't too bad?

The art for this one is really drawing me in, I'm sure I can sell off one of my kids to afford the $$$ (I don't have any kids though..).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Yep, you have to go with 4 characters. Book keeping can be complex, but I think it adds to the charm of the game. You want epic? This is epic.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
Sounds very cool - I didn't think the price was THAT high though (lol). Also the miniature building scares me a tiny bit but I enjoy learning how to do new things (just would be scared of screwing them up).

Game does sound very interesting - especially as I WANT to play it solo (am looking for more 'epic' solo games).

Another question: I take it you HAVE to play with 4 characters at all times? How complex does the book keeping get for this? Or does it kind of 'build up' as some have said and isn't too bad?

The art for this one is really drawing me in, I'm sure I can sell off one of my kids to afford the $$$ (I don't have any kids though..).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
During the showdown (monster fight) section, you field 4 characters unless you don't have that many. During the settlement phase, you are managing your civ as a whole. The book keeping for a solo player can be complex if you aren't organized. For example, if something gives all your dudes +1 to strength, if you're inclined to just think "I'll remember they all get +1" instead of actually writing it down, you might be in trouble. With multiple human players, it's not that tough to control one or two dudes.

The complexity ramps up as your dudes get better, unlock technologies that give them extra abilities, and craft bigger and badder weapons and armor. Hand in hand with that is your monster fights get more complex as the beasts not only hit harder and faster as you go up in levels, but also display new moves and abilities that you have to keep track of.

That said, it's one of the easiest games to get into. The prologue and intro section of the rulebook (about 10 pages or so) will walk you through that very first fight, teaching you the system one small bite at time. That takes you all the way through your first settlement phase, afterwards you'll be good to go for most of the game. Then the added complexity is introduced by you trying to come up with cool strategies using the tools you unlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I guess to give you the negative version on the book keeping question. This is a civ game where you manage your town dude by dude. That means you potentially have a couple dozen individual character sheets. You don't care about all of them, but it can be a lot of paper floating around. You pull out 4 of them for each hunt/fight section and usually of the townsfolk, you'll have your top 5 or 10 people you send out normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magallian
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
I received KDM last week, haven't played it yet, but assembled many of it's miniatures. I was not into modelling miniatures at all and hesistant to pull the trigger on spending EUR 300 (Ebay) for getting KDM. So last weekend first thing I did was assembling the 4 survivors and the White Lion as an absolute beginner (no experience at all.) I assembled all other monsters right afterwards since I had a quite a blast assembling them. (Although some tiny bits are quite a hazzle and I kept some parts seperated for painting before completing the miniature.)

Now this is a classic case of the IKEA effect. Besides the fact that KDM offers top quality components and the gaming experience is one of a kind, you really do love what you make for yourself more than anything else. Putting in the effort to assemble the miniatures really adds to the perception of how great this game actually is. And the miniatures are awesome! All other miniatures in my boardgame collection pales in comparison. Eagerly I look forward to get my hands on the upcoming expansions, because since last weekend I enjoy assembling the miniatures as much as I enjoy painting them and playing the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
pevsfreedom wrote:
I had only put together one model in my life prior to tackling KD:M so I know how you feel. I had no idea about the items required either. But, within two weeks I had put together almost everything required for the core game, including the Phoenix. It seems daunting but start with something easy like the King's Man to get a feel for it. If you get stuck just take your time and work through it or consult BGG. You'll be fine.

pevsfreedom wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play solo yet but I can assure you that it will indeed be an epic experience.

pevsfreedom wrote:
It's not very complex though it can be a bit time consuming and this would be increased in the situation where you have to handle all character sheets yourself rather than having others responsible for their own. It's not onerous; you'll only be dealing with four at any one time really.

pevsfreedom wrote:
Can you spare any organs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
So I take the general consensus is the game is worth the $? I'm not just paying for tons of art & miniatures but actual gameplay, correct? Thanks all.
Honestly, the gameplay of this game is amazing, and I am glad I spent the $300 I did on it, and I don't even have any of my expansions yet. I am excited for them of course, but if I didn't even get them I would be pleased with this exchange.

As long as you have the large amount of hours this game requires of you to plumb its depths, it is the gift that keeps on giving, the game that keeps on gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls