11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: The scribe, king and watcher, how are they linked? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I was wondering what is the connection between these three powerful individuals?

The scribe writes humans into existence. Why? What is his plan for them, are they just there to feed the local wildlife, or provide new recruits for the kings armies?

The kings seem to rule areas of the scribes realms with their armies of kings men and the hand (do they have more than one hand?)

What are the kings' plans for the human settlements? If they are too big they are culled, if they are too small they are given help.

Finally is the watcher part of the same group as the kings armies and the scribe?

Are the kings men just farmers, rising herds of humans to feed the watchers?

Or are the watches nothing to do with the kings and the scribe? Are they just a super predator that feeds on humans. Building the lantern hoards and sleeping beneath them until enough humans gather to feed them, so they can move on and produce a new hoard to start the cycke again.

Are the kings men trying to strave out the watchers, by keeping the human population low, so they watchers can't regain lost energy with each feeding. Husbanding the human population so they can slowly build up their own force, ready to take on the holy lands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've interpreted it, we are livestock that the Scribe writes into existence, and the Watcher is our sheepdog. Not sure of why though. In the 20th year, I think the Watcher receives instruction to put us down to keep us from getting too advanced. Armored Strangers and Regal Visit show that they like us being small, dumb, and savage. Making it year 20 is more than they want of us.

There's at least one city in KD:M, which the great game hunters come from. I'm not sure whether or not this is in the King'd domain. I doubt it is because of the above.

It's said that the Scribe is the power behind the kings, plural. I'm not sure what other kings there are though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
There's at least one city in KD:M, which the great game hunters come from. I'm not sure whether or not this is in the King'd domain. I doubt it is because of the above.
While the city is more influenced by monsters than the government believe, I'm reasonable sure neither the Lantern King nor the Entity are in control there.

There are other cities c.f. "the largest standing human city" and the Holy Land is supposedly significantly more urban than the area the survivors are in.

poeticallybored wrote:
It's said that the Scribe is the power behind the kings, plural. I'm not sure what other kings there are though.
Lantern King, Dragon King.

Assuming the Lantern King isn't just an evolved form of the Watcher, like the Lion God is to the Lions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I love that a lot of the world and lore is a mystery. It's one reason why the game is such an experience. As a player, controlling the survivors, I know so little, just as they do. KDM delivers in so many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of the Watcher is that its presence isn't expected, anticipated, or appreciated by the King. I get the feeling that the Watcher is a much older being than the King and controls his little area with more direct control then the King can manage indirectly over his kingdom. I get this feeling as whatever it is it frightens away most monsters (the monsters you hunt are afraid to approach the settlement, the nemesis monsters are not).

Whatever the King is, I don't think it has complete domination over the land it claims to rule. The closest parallel I could think of is Lord of the Rings if Sauron took over Middle Earth. Sauron could act like he has full control over the entire world and send his minions out to do his bidding, and Tom Bombadil just wouldn't care. Tom would have his own little area and there's nothing Sauron could do about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Svengaard wrote:
My interpretation of the Watcher is that its presence isn't expected, anticipated, or appreciated by the King. I get the feeling that the Watcher is a much older being than the King and controls his little area with more direct control then the King can manage indirectly over his kingdom. I get this feeling as whatever it is it frightens away most monsters (the monsters you hunt are afraid to approach the settlement, the nemesis monsters are not).

End game spoiler.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Once you beat the watcher, your lantern horde turns into a depleted lantern horde and monsters start attacking. It would seem that it is the lantern horde than that keep most monsters away. And possibly even attracts some of the nemesis ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
poeticallybored wrote:
Lantern King, Dragon King.
That the dragon is a king slipped my mind. Are you using "Lantern King" to refer to "The King" from the Lantern Festival expansion, or another character?

strewart wrote:
End game spoiler.
Once you beat the watcher, your lantern horde turns into a depleted lantern horde and monsters start attacking. It would seem that it is the lantern horde than that keep most monsters away. And possibly even attracts some of the nemesis ones.
Actually, if you read the flavor text on Showdown: Watcher, that isn't so. You're led to believe throughout the course of the game that the pile of lanterns is keeping you safe, but it's really the Watcher tucked away inside there emitting some "fuck off" pheromone that spooks the monsters, yet seems to make humans feel safe.

Like I said, the Watcher is our sheepdog, and our showdown with him is us lowly livestock rising up against whatever fucked up system The Scribe has setup. In the Lantern Festival expansion, we move on to The King, and eventually work our way up to The Scribe himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
I have to thank Kingdom Death: Monster for finally knowing the exact number of penises I can tolerate in a miniature (surprisingly, that number is not zero)
badge
We used to call the Prodigal Sorcerer "the antiaesthetic one" when we played MtG in 1995. I still think this is the better definition.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the First Story, your starting survivors awake with ink on their eyes. Perhaps it's gone implicit since it's a so direct link and I'm just restating the obvious, but seen the flavor text of the Scribe, doesn't it seem that it was the Scribe that originally created the survivor and put them there (to harvest them later, like its flavor text says?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
It is because if what happens to the lantern hoard and the flavour text for the final fight that got me thinking about the watcher.

Is it just a really mean and dangerous angler fish. It puts up this inviting lure of lanterns, that scares away other creatures, so that the tastiest mortals, humans, are attracted to it. It then waits for enough of them to appear and consumes them.

The scribe wants the humans for its own ends, but being an aloof god creatures can't be bothered to look after them, or believes in survival of the fittest. So allows them to use he lure as a home, whilst using the kingsmen to ensure the population remains below the threshold of the watcher awaking, until the king arrives to harvest them for the scribe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:

That the dragon is a king slipped my mind. Are you using "Lantern King" to refer to "The King" from the Lantern Festival expansion, or another character?
Yes.

t3clis wrote:
Perhaps it's gone implicit since it's a so direct link and I'm just restating the obvious, but seen the flavor text of the Scribe, doesn't it seem that it was the Scribe that originally created the survivor
It's pretty heavily implied to be the case. Especially when you see what happens if you have the courage to add pictographs to the book encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about the scribe writing with a feather the names of humans and I thought the Phoenix could have raise of a fallen feather of the scribe, and thats why the Phoenix can change time flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls