14 Posts

Dungeon Crusade: Book I – Genesis of Evil» Forums » General

Subject: Release date? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Welcome to the Dream, Hunter!Microbadge: Folklore fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Geek Regular
Hi,again Rodger we have chatted before.and the game looks great from what snippets we have seen so far.but to cut to the chase me, like a lot of people have been keeping an eye on this for some time.and can i ask if we are any nearer an actual release date yet?.because the problem you may end up with is people start looking at other projects because the lose interest in something that takes a long time.which I certainly hope doesn't happen" but it could do.
so,Rodger what sort of timescale are we looking at?

regards,

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Hi there Gary, as always first of I greatly THANK YOU for the continued interest in Dungeon Crusade. And I'm very glad you brought up this topic, and I'm going to ask EVERYONE who reads this to please, throw your 2 cents in and give me your opinion. I need some real help with this...

I'm going to quote myself on this one what took a little longer, I posted this a few days back >>>>

"First off, this HUGE "secret" deck of cards is finished! There is a total of 110 unique cards in this deck, and I have to say they look pretty awesome & charming. Let me explain this. These cards were sort of text heavy. I could have taken the easy route and just left it all text. But that's not me or my style. I took the time to create little animated pictures in the corner of ALL of these cards. So when you read these pieces of creative writings I wrote, and I will say these "game event" type of things, it will help you visualize what is going on, and draw you more into the world of Dungeon Crusade. I'm truly making this game highly thematic for all to enjoy. I'm very satisfied and happy how these turned out, and I think it will help immerse you more into the game."

This delayed the launch. I truly wanted to launch this game on oct 31st at midnight. But it just wasn't ready. As of right now, I am finishing the final deck of cards which is the monster cards. The monster cards are totally finished, I am just adding in 2 things to these cards. The final playtest stats and the origins of these monsters. I'm going to give a little spoiler right here, but I feel I'm this close, why not....

Every monster I have created has a little origin story of where they come from in the land of Avalon. Right now in the base game there is a total of 44 unique monsters. Now some of these monsters are "groups" and there is 3 to a group. So if I spread out every single monster in the world of Dungeon Crusade there would be 86 monster/creatures in the base game, and I do plan on this total growing with stretch goals in place. LOL, as I have said, I have a "mental issue" with games of this genre. I just LOVE and I'm addicted to fantasy/adventure/dungeon board games! So I guess what I am saying is the backers/fellow gamers will reap the rewards of my condition with excess game content. And I wouldn't have it any other way

I have all of the totals from the game company I have partnered with. I have 2 project managers from this company who are and will be assisting me with everything for Dungeon Crusade. The one girl has flat out told me this is the largest and most ambitious game project they have ever done. They will be doing cross promotion for Dungeon Crusade also to get the word out. I will be announcing the company around launch time. But they are honestly excited to see the unveiling of Dungeon Crusade.

OK, so a few bottom lines....when will this game be TRULY finished. I'm going to be very avow and honest and say this...I am finishing this mid/high level monster group tonight, again the stats and the origin stories. Then there is about 10 UBER high level monsters. Their origin stories are totally finished, (and I have to say, I think these are by far the coolest ones that really draw you in to Dungeon Crusade, and let you see your true nemesis of your heroes)all I have to do is throw some icons on their cards and their stats. Then their in the can finished. I should have those done within this coming weekend.

The very last thing I have to do is do a few re-writes on a few things, and touch up about 5-7 things. Honestly this is maybe a day of work. After this, I am 110% sure, positive, no doubt, Dungeon Crusade (the prototype game) is complete, in the digital form. So I would say mid next week, FINISHED. Nothing else to create, no content, nada, done. So on 11/12/15 Dungeon Crusade is finished.

From there (on 11/12/15) I have to put ALL of the content on these digital format templates (as I call them) for the print shop. It's time to print the game out. There is between 740-770 cards in the base game. Plus tokens, pieces of the "game world", and some boards. I have planned a whole day at the print shop to print everything out.

From there I have assembled a "crusade crew" as they call it who will help me assemble the game. There will be about 10 of us, and we are going to knock it out in a day or 2.

From there it's the photoshoot/video day. These will be the pics on kickstarter, and other places to show the game off, plus I will be doing videos on gameplay playthroughs, small featurette videos describing the various game mechanics. I'm very much looking forward to playing Dungeon Crusade and demoing it off and showing how to play. And of course sharing it with people, and making sure they like what they see. I truly believe they have never seen anything quite like it, and it's just going to be a great experience to share something brand new and innovative with everyone, and have them create this game with me and the many artists involved (there is 5 artists and a 3D modeler as of right now). As I have said before, when this hits kickstarter, this is not my game anymore, it will be OUR game. There will be many packages for backers to create things in Dungeon Crusade, with no additional charge.

OK, the VERY bottom line! Whew, sorry for the length of this update, but I like to be as honest and upfront as I can be with everyone. So the big one......RELEASE DATE, and here is where I need help with and where I'm at....and here are the options...it will run for 30 days

1) Launch Dungeon Crusade on one of these dates... 11/23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30/15. I feel confident in having everything done by one of these dates.

2) Launch first week of December.

3) Launch mid December, such as Dec 15,16 or 17?

4) Launch at the end of December 12/27/15 or 12/28/15?

5) Or launch on 1/1/2016

Here is my concern....the XMAS holiday, and Star Wars. I truly don't want these to over shadow Dungeon Crusade. So here is where I would love to hear peoples thought on the launch. Please! Step up on the soapbox and tell me! I'd love to hear from everyone on this topic!

In closing guys, Dungeon Crusade is MORE than ready all the way around. It's just time to do this already. And I do greatly apologize for taking so long with it. But I am a perfectionist and a way over achiever when I take on a project, especially something people are looking forward to with great expectations to enjoy for themselves, and will be paying for. I wanted to make sure Dungeon Crusade lives up to it's name, and give fellow gamers and the world a game that has quality and quantity. This juggernaut is ready to be unleashed! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! wow My reply was UBER long! Sorry for that, just wanted to let you guys know everything I could say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorne
United States
Valley Park
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I would say launch after Christmas. Too much distraction with the holidays, wait until people have that Christmas gift money to put to a good cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodger,i'd go with 2016...people have to buy gifts and all...so i'd go with 1/1/2016
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
I was leaning towards 12/28/2015, and launch it at 10:00p.m. eastern standard time. The thing is, the game will be done WAY before this day, and I'm just REALLY ready to pull the trigger already. My logic is if I launch anytime before XMAS, especially in December, people will be still buying gifts, and caught up in that. I mean people still buy gifts on XMAS eve. Hmmm.....still thinking and would like more peoples thoughts. But a big THANK YOU for your thoughts, it truly helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd wait until Christmas is over. People have money again and you have very much time to double and triple check everything to start a great KS.

I really understand your wish to start when you're ready and to unleash this monster on us, but be patient. Be 120% prepared. Your backers will appreciate that and the number of pledges will be higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd lean towards 1/1/16 or even later. But not TOO much later. People gotta spend their Christmas money but you don't want to wait until ALL of it is spent.

One issue, that may not be a problem, depending on your manufacturing schedule is that Chinese New Year means the factories get shut down for a couple of weeks and that can throw things off a lot. It's probably not going to be a big deal for this project since manufacturing probably won't be until spring, but I thought I'd mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Welcome to the Dream, Hunter!Microbadge: Folklore fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Dark Souls: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Geek Regular
Hi,Rodger.

thanks for the fast reply [as usual] and great to see this is still moving ahead!.
as for my personal thoughts go with the start of next year. before then could be a bad move.as you have already said star wars and xmas.
so,the KS is running for 30 days is that right Rodger?
ok good luck with it all and look forward to sending some of my hard earned pounds your way when it launches

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Hello all! Wow! I'm truly grateful for everyone's 2 cents on the launch. It seems to be the general consensus that after the XMAS would be the prime time to launch Dungeon Crusade on kickstarter. Although I would love to launch it in early/mid December. I mean I have kept everyone waiting so long for this game and to see what I have cooked up.

In related news I have totally finished the mid/high level creature and monster cards! All of the stats and the origin stories are in place, totally done. So here is my list of things to be done to say Dungeon Crusade is totally finished....

--- Put the final stats on the UBER high level monsters. I will be showing 10 of these in the presentation. 6 of them will be in the base game, the other 4 will be as stretch goals, plus a few more if everything goes as planned and people like what they see in Dungeon Crusade.

--- Maybe 1 no more than 2 days on re-writes and tweaking a few of the things in the game.

--- That's it. The prototype game of Dungeon Crusade is complete.

Then of course just putting all of this content on the digital templates for printing, then print it and assemble. Then the photoshoot
day and make the gameplay videos.

I'm making it a requirement that all would be heroes that want to explore Avalon, watch the demo gameplay and some videos before even donating $1 to Dungeon Crusade! LOL, for one, I'm going to be pretty proud showing this juggernaut off and playing it for everyone for people to enjoy! And 2nd, I want people to be sure this is a game for them, and what they see really excites them and wants this to be part of their game collection. I'm a very avow and honest guy and I want to show everyone what Dungeon Crusade has to offer to them...Although it may be in excess what this game has to offer. I cannot say this enough, it is massive.

And I do want to touch on this quickly. I would have it no other way then to approach kickstarter with a true working prototype of Dungeon Crusade. And here's why.

I have mentioned before the heroes have just generic archetype names. Warrior, Rogue, Archer, Barbarian, Wizard and Cleric. The reason is there will be pledges called "create a hero". There is no charge for this. It will be bundled with the Master of the Realm edition of Dungeon Crusade. For the 6 people who grab this "create a hero" edition, that backer will be naming that hero, where this hero has come from in Avalon, and writing a backstory for this hero, and their story will be on the back of that heroes level 1 hero card with their name for their contribution to Dungeon Crusade.

Another reason I'm happy approaching KS with a prototype game is backers input on the monsters they will see in the game. I have spoken to Leslie the lead artist for the heroes & monsters of Dungeon Crusade. Leslie will be creating 2 concepts of certain monsters. Backers will have the final say on which version they would like to see in the game.

I'm going to be very hands off in this process. As I have said, this is "our" game. I know there are tons of people out there that just love to create and have a vast imagination like I do. I want them to have a chance to throw their 2 cents in on the creation process of Dungeon Crusade.

OK, my family is prompting/begging me that they want to go out to lunch. I'm heading out for a bit, and when I get home it's time to throw these stats on those UBER high level baddies. Again, THANK YOU to everyone for your continued interest in Dungeon Crusade, and all of your suggestions! This game will truly be for you!

And Gary you said..." ok good luck with it all and look forward to sending some of my hard earned pounds your way when it launches"

Your hard earned pounds will go directly into everything Dungeon Crusade for the best game we all can produce....for me? All I want is to be in the driver seat, and assure the backers get the 2 big things I have always said with Dungeon Crusade....Quality & Quantity.

Not to much longer guys...promise! Have a great weekend, talk to you soon...Rodger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Home now and starting to put the final stats on the UBER high level baddies. I will post when these are done. I feel I'm in the final home stretch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
good luck with it Rodger.
im really looking forward to seeing some "meat on the bones" if you get me?

how long are you looking to run the kickstarter once its up and running?

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Deering
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Hey Gary...it will run for 30 days...and from what I researched I'm going to start it exactly at 10PM eastern standard time, as it will end exactly 30 days later at 10PM. According to what I researched, 7-8pm is the best, but I feel 10PM is a good time also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,Rodger.

great !! one thing that puts me off some kickstarter projects is the time before release a lot of the time a year or over after you have put your money into the project.30 days is good and you need to let everyone know that its just a 30 day run so as many people as possible can get onboard

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls