Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those not watching, Paul Heaver just won Worlds, third time in a row. Can this guy be stopped?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Peal Heaver 3-Peat (0?)
This game just comes down to the luck of the dice. There's hardly any skill involved.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Paul!
And great playing Nathan! It was fun watching you on all the twitch games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
I've heard some chatter than the lists this year were 'really weird' - anyone have the top 4 lists posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Merry ChristmasMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the house - Ho ho ho!!!Microbadge: Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
You may want to correct the spelling in the subject line. Unless his nickname is "Peal"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for spoiling...yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I've heard some chatter than the lists this year were 'really weird' - anyone have the top 4 lists posted?
1st Place: Paul Heaver
Poe Dameron + R2-D2 + VI + Autothrusters
Gold + R3-A2 + BTL-A4 title + TLT
Gold + TLT
Bandit

2nd Place: Nathan Eide
Corran Horn + R2-D2 + Engine + PTL + FCS
Poe Dameron + VI + Autothrusters + R5-P9
Prototype + Chardaan Refit

Top 4: Phillip Booth
IG-88A + HLC + Autothrusters + Glitterstim + Crackshot + FCS + IG-2000
IG-88B + HLC + Autothrusters + Glitterstim + Crackshot + FCS + IG-2000

Top 4: Jeremy Howard
Soontir Fel + PTL + Title + Stealth + Autothrusters
Vader + Lone Wolf + Title + ATC
Omnicron Shuttle + Palpatine + Sensor Jammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
You may want to correct the spelling in the subject line. Unless his nickname is "Peal"
Heh, guess I was thinking "Peat" when I wrote his name. Fixed

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
Microbadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fan
XanderF wrote:
I don't think it is that the lists are weird so much as there doesn't seem to be a super dominant meta right now. The field is wide open, there's a ton of lists that can compete, and no one or two lists are clearly superior. It just means there was a lot of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Heaver is obviously overpowered. Maybe even broken.

(Congrats Paul!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
XanderF wrote:
I don't think it is that the lists are weird so much as there doesn't seem to be a super dominant meta right now. The field is wide open, there's a ton of lists that can compete, and no one or two lists are clearly superior. It just means there was a lot of variety.
Yeah, and I absolutely love that! I can't believe how incredibly well rounded X-Wing has become, nothing truly dominate, answers to pretty much every build. Though, with Poe Dameron in top 1 and 2 lists, I imagine we'll see a lot of him in the current meta.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
Microbadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fanMicrobadge: Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale fan
shnar wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Yeah, and I absolutely love that! I can't believe how incredibly well rounded X-Wing has become, nothing truly dominate, answers to pretty much every build. Though, with Poe Dameron in top 1 and 2 lists, I imagine we'll see a lot of him in the current meta.

-shnar
Indeed. I'm enjoying the current atmosphere too. It feels like a lot of things are possible.

As far as Poe goes, he is really good, but he's not impossible to deal with. His major upside seems to be basically the same as Vader's - he's a high PS ace who isn't reliant on a specific EPT to be good. Yeah, both of these builds used VI, but he's got options in a way that Fel or Whisper don't. We'll be seeing a lot of him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the next Mathwing update will show that Poe is undercosted by at least a couple points. Compare what you get a 31 points with Ten Numb at 31 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
XanderF wrote:
I saw some very neat and creative lists. A triple K-wing squad made the cut, Miranda + 2 Wardens, all with TLT and Tactician. I saw a Black Squadron swarm that used Crackshot. Palpatine brought back the Shuttle, with a variety of Imperial Aces. It's been great. Definitely worth checking out the recorded broadcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three world championships is no freaking joke. Not that two could really be called a fluke.

Too bad there aren't any cash prizes (that I'm aware of).

I'm hoping to jump into the seriously competitive side of things in the 2016 bracket, anyone know how many of Paul's games have videos online? I believe I've seen his most recent (er, prior to this one) championship, and I thinnnnnk I saw him play a test match when FA Core was announced? But, other than that, don't think I've seen too much.

He's kinda the guy to study.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG! Nerf Paul Heaver! He's borken! Borken I say!11!!eleven!!

Congrats Paul, awesomely played!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many champion cards does Paul have to design before FFG gives him a designer credit on the front of the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine he gets to be a named pilot soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: El-ahrairahMicrobadge: Charlie Chaplin fanMicrobadge: Friedrich HayekMicrobadge: Silent Film fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
Ihate to say I was shocked - but I was...

I didn't expect his solid positional play to get him all the way through another World's like that, usually chance can erode even very solid play enough to cause problems when facing such skilled opponents. He's certainly vincible as shown in other tournaments and online play - but when you absolutely, positively, have to win World's - accept no substitute.

I was initially hoping for the rematch with Aaron Bonar and his K-Tastrophy (Triple K-Wing) build - but Nathan took it down with a list I think is slightly weaker overall.

If I recall correctly, Brobots made it to top 4 as did Palpmobile (redacted).

Great job Paul - I'll not doubt you again!

I'm excited to see what card he comes up with this time... what an incredible thing to get to do. That would easily be my favorite prize in all of it - very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an absolute SW fanboy, I'd LOVE to create a card. I agree that that's the best perk.

I'm kind of glad to see that several lists I've considered running myself (all by Bro-Bots, really) made it into the finals.

Now, you know, I've just got to get good at flying them. I'm hoping to hit as many store level tournaments as I can, both to test lists AND to finally grab some decent prizes. I do ok in the local tournaments, which means nothing, really, but I didn't start playing competitively until the last possible store-level tourney this year, which was my first non-home game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
ralpher wrote:
I'm sure the next Mathwing update will show that Poe is undercosted by at least a couple points. Compare what you get a 31 points with Ten Numb at 31 points.
He's actually pretty average in terms of what he costs as a pilot over his base ship. If he's undercosted, its because the T-70 is undercosted.

Ten Numb isn't a great comparison. He's pretty significantly overcosted and doesn't see play accordingly. Actually, Wave 3 is terrible for named pilots in general, having most of the highest pilot costs over base cost of the ship in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Joe Bauers
United States
flag msg tools
No matter games or life
badge
Honesty over everything
mbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
Ihate to say I was shocked - but I was...

I didn't expect his solid positional play to get him all the way through another World's like that, usually chance can erode even very solid play enough to cause problems when facing such skilled opponents. He's certainly vincible as shown in other tournaments and online play - but when you absolutely, positively, have to win World's - accept no substitute.
Next time you or I or anyone else tries to make a comment about the amount of luck vs skill involved in the game, we shall pause and reflect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: El-ahrairahMicrobadge: Charlie Chaplin fanMicrobadge: Friedrich HayekMicrobadge: Silent Film fanMicrobadge: Calvin and Hobbes fan
Yeah - Paul has played in three world championships and lost *1* game.

His builds certainly matter - as he has a knack for finding a great build and making it fly like few can, but the meta this year had no 'magic' bullets.

He also seems to have impressive spacial awareness and overall strategies versus whatever build he faces. Knowing what you have to do to win and being able to execute maneuvers so cleanly got both of the two finalists onto the final table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Prime wrote:
I'd imagine he gets to be a named pilot soon
...seriously? You know how poorly costed that card would be? The "Heaver" would pretty much have to be a three point modification (or maybe an astromech? H3-VR?) that states "Once per year, flip this card over to win Worlds."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isolater wrote:
kamekkusu wrote:

Top 4: Jeremy Howard
Soontir Fel + PTL + Title + Stealth + Autothrusters
Vader + Lone Wolf + Title + ATC
Omnicron Shuttle + Palpatine + Sensor Jammer
Thanks for the post. This one is 101 points though - any idea what is incorrect?
It adds up to 100 for me.

Soontir = 27+3+3+2 = 35
Vader = 29+2+1 = 32
Onmicron = 21+8+4 = 33
35+32+33 = 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |