Popular Tags: [View All]
gordon calleja
Malta
Siggiewi
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So, we're playing Bloody Inn and have questions about the Shopkeeper. We have one player with a shopkeeper and 2 representatives. He is trashing the board every turn by taking all the 0s for free with the Shopkeeper and then taking 2 x 1s or a 2 for free. So there were several rounds where the rest of us had nothing on the board to take.

Is this correct? Can he just take all the 0s for free with the shopkeeper?

Does the representative stack with others?

Are we right to understand that the representative reduces 1 from the TOTAL amount to bribe or 1 per card per representative.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
grinn wrote:
So, we're playing Bloody Inn and have questions about the Shopkeeper. We have one player with a shopkeeper and 2 representatives. He is trashing the board every turn by taking all the 0s for free with the Shopkeeper and then taking 2 x 1s or a 2 for free. So there were several rounds where the rest of us had nothing on the board to take.

Is this correct? Can he just take all the 0s for free with the shopkeeper?

Are we right to understand that the representative reduces 1 from the TOTAL amount to bribe or 1 per card per representative.

Thanks!

Hey Gordon,

In regards to the Shopkeeper, I think you guys are playing correctly, you can bribe as many travelers as you want with rank of zero in one bribe action. As for the Representative, having two of these only would allow the player to accumulate the special ability but not performing the ability twice, so that means that with two Representatives you could bribe a rank-3 traveler and pay two accomplices less, but they cannot bribe two different travelers for one card less each, that would be two actions and the player can only perform one action.

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robert
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grinn wrote:
Can he just take all the 0s for free with the shopkeeper?

Hi!

There is part of the answer here, but I guess it is worth a little clarification, indeed:

- All effects are cumulative, so yes, the representative can help the shopkeeper.

- The annex of the representative reduces the number of accomplices needed to bribe a guest by 1 for each bribe action (it's like if you had an additional accomplice always available to do the bribe action).

- The annex of the shopkeeper allows to bribe multiple travelers during 1 bribe action. Note that it only concerns travelers, not peasants; you have to sum the rank of all targeted cards and show that number of accomplices. Also, yes, you can bribe as many rank 0 travelers as you want during this action.

- If you built annexes of both the shopkeeper and some representatives, then when bribing you basically have to sum the rank of all targeted travelers, then substract 1 for each representative you have: the result is the number of accomplices you need to show.

- Don't forget that you have to pay your accomplices at the end of the turn... It isn't always wise to bribe too many travelers.

- Players who fear the shopkeeper should consider bribing or killing these rank 0 travelers before their opponent does (if they play before her, of course), or bribe/kill the high rank travelers who this opponent would like to target with all her new accomplices... or bribe peasants if they need accomplices and have no other choice.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon calleja
Malta
Siggiewi
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the thorough reply Nicolas. In our game (and it might have been a freak occurrence), the shopkeeper enabled its holder to swipe most of the board leaving few options and a lot of frustration for the other players since they couldn't do much that turn and it happened on several turns. This was especially powerful when he was second and first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robert
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand... I would say that player did a good job to bribe (and then build annexes) both some representatives and the shopkeeper. Also, maybe he was lucky to have many rank 0 travelers in the inn at the same time? (Normally, it's quite rare to be able to bribe many guests at once, as you still need a few accomplices to perform the action with rank 1~3 travelers in the rooms.) Also, how could he afford to keep all these accomplices that he bribed? (As said earlier, it isn't so good to keep many guys in hand, usually, as it costs quite a bit...)

Depending on the situation, a possible counter attack could have been to kill low rank guys and bury them beneath his annexes (so that he has no available slot for his own corpses, and he might have a hard time if the police is in the inn); also it could have been interesting to get one of the rank 3 annexes that gives you 4F per travelers of a given family still alive at the end of the game (because if this opponent was bribing many people, it's likely that many guests would still be alive at the end of the game). Also, when you really have nothing else to do (not even a single peasant to bribe), then it's probably a good time to go launder your money, at least...

Having said that, if you guys could really do nothing, then I understand your frustration! (But I must say that it actually never happened to me! surprise)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, having an opponent's Shopkeeper empty the board is pretty frustrating. I suppose that, yeah, either they're paying for it in wages, or they're grabbing 3 rank-0 cards just to use for something else in their second action, in which case, it's only a little better than bribing peasants. But it stands a chance of ruining multiple other people's plans at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Miller
Australia
Brisbane City
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a related question - When using the shopkeeper, can you sweep up a number of zero cost travellers, and play them back out of your hand immediately to bribe a non-zero cost traveller as part of the same bribe action?

Example - I have 1 card in my hand. I use the shop keeper ability to bribe 2 zero cost travellers, then play them straight into the discard pile along with my other card to bribe a 3 cost.

Seems broken to me, but that's how one of the players in my last game saw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robert
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slexlaw wrote:
I have a related question - When using the shopkeeper, can you sweep up a number of zero cost travellers, and play them back out of your hand immediately to bribe a non-zero cost traveller as part of the same bribe action?
No, you cannot: the shopkeeper allows you to bribe many travelers at once, yes, but in a single action, using accomplices you have in hand when starting the action - you are not allowed to perform several actions in a row (what you describe corresponds to 2 distinct actions). Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have been playing this game solo like crazy and having fun doing so but have a question: when bribing the shopkeeper using the blue representative cards, do I get these blue cards back or do they go to the exit pile? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls