Subject: Butcher encounter timing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
So I'm on my first solo play through and I'm approaching the butcher event. I'm trying to figure out the timing on this. So I've fought the prologue white lion and two level one white lions. So,I've completed 3 lantern years. From my reading, I'll get one more hunt in prior to dealing with the butcher. Is that correct? As the timeline only updates after hunts in step 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bfrench wrote:
So I'm on my first solo play through and I'm approaching the butcher event. I'm trying to figure out the timing on this. So I've fought the prologue white lion and two level one white lions. So,I've completed 3 lantern years. From my reading, I'll get one more hunt in prior to dealing with the butcher. Is that correct? As the timeline only updates after hunts in step 5?
That sounds right, but I'm not looking at the timeline sheet. You'll check the box for the nemesis encounter and then fight it right after your settlement phase is done (skip the hunt phase). Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bfrench wrote:
You fight the butcher after the Settlement Phase in which you have checked off the Nemesis Encounter: Butcher when performing the Update Timeline step. So yes, after the hunt/showdown in which you returned and checked that box. Skip the hunt phase and go directly to the encounter per the Showdown: Butcher specifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
Microbadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Lifeform fan
Keep your vets back and send in some noobs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Keep your vets back and send in some noobs!
This is the most heartless yet wisest plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Piechocki
msg tools
mbmbmb
Heh, Butcher was a kitten for us - but we did some innovations right before he hit that were PERFECT to help with his encounter.

Never underestimate healing with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Butcher is the least threatening (appropriately enough) of the nemeses. We've gone in 4 times with our veterans from different settlements. Only lost one time and that was due to horrible luck and a couple bad decisions.

He's definitely killable, though if you're attached to your veterans it's always less risky to send someone else against an unknown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
Sent my noobs in to be slaughtered like lambs... and got disappointingly close to killing the Butcher.

Regret not sending in my vets. He's got some ok rewards. And the vet I was trying to save most got chopped by the kingsman settlement event (not fight) anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
I had heard the horror stories so I sent in some fresh meat, expecting them all to be slaughtered. In the end they all survived, though it cost me two skull helms and one chest armor (to Vestiphobia, which I swear half my population has). I honestly have bad luck to thank for it. I was running a dagger, a pair of katars, and two bows, and the more frenzied they got the more poorly I rolled my dice. No more than two hits on the 5+ dice meant I never hit the trap card and was consistently doing 1-2 damage each activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you would have done Lantern Year 4 hunt, then back to settlement, heal markers, gain endeavours, and then fight nemesis, then back to settlement for crafting and using endeavors?

But then where does the 'skip the hunt phase' come in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Best settlement event to get right before facing the butcher? Shining lights.

If you have graves as your death principal and insane survivors you can send them out with an automatic +3 armor to every location. The roll is 6+ to achieve and you can add +2 to endeavor rolls per the event.

This happened to me, and I was praising the Dread Cthulhu that it happened because I was certain I'd TPK. Instead, I coasted through with only brain trauma rolls and managed to cat eye amulet the hit deck to get the awesome kill the butcher and get sweet bonuses hit location.

He dropped the Forsaker Mask.

Best. Butcher. Ever. Of all time.

1 in a million it would happen again; but what's life without hopes and dreams and the tears you taste when those hopes and dreams are ruthlessly ground under the heels of a beast eating you alive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neikedjour wrote:
So you would have done Lantern Year 4 hunt, then back to settlement, heal markers, gain endeavours, and then fight nemesis, then back to settlement for crafting and using endeavors?

But then where does the 'skip the hunt phase' come in?
No, not in this case.

For a Special Encounter, ie choosing to "resist" on certain events, then you depart IMMEDIATELY in the middle of the current Settlement phase and you return and pick up where you left off.

For a standard Nemesis Encounter (not a Special Encounter), you depart as normal AFTER the entire Settlement Phase is complete (all 10 steps) and find the Nemesis waiting for you on the outskirts of the Settlement (thus no hunt phase). You come back and follow the normal process of all 10 settlement steps again (complete an entire Settlement Phase).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
For those big on Innovations, be sure to store an organ, bone, and hide for the settlement phase after the Nemesis Encounter. Oh, and don't lose to the butcher either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
See the middle column on p.83 at the bottom for timing on Nemesis Encounters for a reference about the timing. Be sure to read both paragraphs as the second has the timing portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:

If you have graves as your death principal and insane survivors you can send them out with an automatic +3 armor to every location. The roll is 6+ to achieve and you can add +2 to endeavor rolls per the event.
We had Shining Lights before the Butcher but it didn't help as much as we expected because of the bleeding token 'After Hit' events. I was right to give out those bleeding tokens even if the hit was absorbed by armour, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueskew wrote:
For a standard Nemesis Encounter (not a Special Encounter), you depart as normal AFTER the entire Settlement Phase is complete (all 10 steps) and find the Nemesis waiting for you on the outskirts of the Settlement (thus no hunt phase). You come back and follow the normal process of all 10 settlement steps again (complete an entire Settlement Phase).
So on this basis, would I have done a Year 4 hunt, and then the nemesis after the normal Year 4 settlement phase? If this is true, do you draw a settlement event during the settlement phase then? And another in the settlement phase after the nemesis encounter?

We didn't do a Year 4 hunt, because I took the nemesis as replacing the hunt for the year. Oops? Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neikedjour wrote:
IASeldon wrote:

We had Shining Lights before the Butcher but it didn't help as much as we expected because of the bleeding token 'After Hit' events. I was right to give out those bleeding tokens even if the hit was absorbed by armour, no?
That is correct. On Hit effects still trigger unless the attack completely misses (the attack roll failed or was dodged or blocked, etc).

If you have to erase armor or check boxes/roll on injury tables, then you took a hit and need to apply effects as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neikedjour wrote:
Blueskew wrote:
So on this basis, would I have done a Year 4 hunt, and then the nemesis after the normal Year 4 settlement phase? If this is true, do you draw a settlement event during the settlement phase then? And another in the settlement phase after the nemesis encounter?

We didn't do a Year 4 hunt, because I took the nemesis as replacing the hunt for the year. Oops? Haha
I have trouble with Year 4 vs Year 5 in terms of whether folks mean starting or stopping in/on/after that year. Anyhow...

On the year you come back from a hunt and, during the Timeline Update Step of the Settlement Phase, check off the Nemesis Encounter: Butcher you essentially replace your hunt/showdown that would normally follow with just a showdown against the nemesis. So you now know that you'll be facing the Butcher. You complete the normal 10 steps of Settlement including departing survivors and storing resources, etc.

You fight the Butcher outside the settlement (showdown).

After the showdown, you return and go through a normal Settlement Phase again (all 10 steps) including returning survivors, settlement events, timeline update, development, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueskew wrote:
I have trouble with Year 4 vs Year 5 in terms of whether folks mean starting or stopping in/on/after that year. Anyhow...
Haha, me too. That's why I'm so confused.

We play one year a night, so we start on stages (I don't have it in front of me, so excuse me if I'm wrong) 8-10 of the settlement phase, do a hunt, showdown, and then 2-7 of the settlement. Then rinse and repeat.

So on a nemesis year it would then be, 8-10 of the settlement phase, do a hunt, showdown, and then 2-10 of the settlement, nemesis, and then 2-7 of the settlement. Essentially 2 showdowns in a year rather than just one.

Or split the Lantern Year into 2 play sessions.
Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neikedjour wrote:
Blueskew wrote:
Haha, me too. That's why I'm so confused.

We play one year a night, so we start on stages (I don't have it in front of me, so excuse me if I'm wrong) 8-10 of the settlement phase, do a hunt, showdown, and then 2-7 of the settlement. Then rinse and repeat.

So on a nemesis year it would then be, 8-10 of the settlement phase, do a hunt, showdown, and then 2-10 of the settlement, nemesis, and then 2-7 of the settlement. Essentially 2 showdowns in a year rather than just one.

Or split the Lantern Year into 2 play sessions.
Hmm...
The flow is correct, but I'm worried about your "2 showdowns in a year rather than 1" wording. Remember that Step 6 of the Settlement Phase updates the timeline. As such, this means that if you do all stages of the Settlement Phase you are using/spending/losing a lantern year (even for the Butcher).

Starting the full year before the butcher encounter is checked off on the timeline, you get:

Depart, hunt, showdown, return, checkoff Butcher on Timeline which increments lantern year, complete settlement phase (all steps) entirely, DO NOT go on a hunt but instead setup a nemesis showdown against the butcher, return, complete settlement phase (all steps) including increment of timeline.

In short, the nemesis encounter/showdown replaces a normal hunt/showdown cycle.

Also, unlike most events that are executed immediately when you see them on the update timeline portion of the settlement phase, you only find out that the butcher is waiting for you on the outskirts of the settlement (giving you a heads up to gear up and be ready for the Butcher instead of a normal hunt/showdown of your choice).

p. 83:

Quote:
If the current lantern year has a Nemesis Encounter on the timeline, departing survivors will face-off with a nemesis monster waiting for them at the outskirts of the settlement.

Complete the settlement phase normally. Departing survivors skip the hunt phase and consult the story event for the nemesis monster to setup the showdown phase.
Then, when you return from the Butcher you proceed just as if you had returned from any other showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blueskew wrote:
Starting the full year before the butcher encounter is checked off on the timeline, you get:

Depart, hunt, showdown, return, checkoff Butcher on Timeline which increments lantern year, complete settlement phase (all steps) entirely, DO NOT go on a hunt but instead setup a nemesis showdown against the butcher, return, complete settlement phase (all steps) including increment of timeline.

In short, the nemesis encounter/showdown replaces a normal hunt/showdown cycle.
Yeah, I don't feel any clearer. Haha.

I guess what my question is, during said lantern year (I understand now what you mean about step 6, and seeing the nemesis upcoming before actually facing him) if you're supposed to face a nemesis, does it replace a hunt, or do you also do a hunt for the year?

Also, now that I understand what you're saying with step 6, on the year that you see a nemesis is coming up, do you also draw a settlement event for that year, or is the event that you see a nemesis coming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Holy cow, why is this so hard to understand? When you check the box next to a nemesis encounter, you fight him when you depart. Simple. Do not pick a quarry. Do not go on a hunt, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy, settle dowwwwn.

That's what we ended up doing, cept I triggered it a year too early. It just sounded up above like I was supposed to do a hunt as well. From what I remember it just said 'Skip the Hunt Phase' That could mean do no hunt and just the nemesis, or because the nemesis's don't have hunt phases, skip straight to the showdown, but you still get a hunt in that year.

Anywho, the part where I probably started getting it confused was considering it a settlement event. Because if it was a settlement event, it would make sense to do it in addition to a hunt.

Just came here for clarity, no need to jump down peoples throats...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
ELicious wrote:
Holy cow, why is this so hard to understand? When you check the box next to a nemesis encounter, you fight him when you depart. Simple. Do not pick a quarry. Do not go on a hunt, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.
thatescalatedquickly.gif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Persram
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
ELicious wrote:
thatescalatedquickly.gif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls