Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter is a zombie themed survival game. This is a highly praised game, and hopefully this simple review will help explain why.

Ease of Setup: 4/5. Dead of Winter is surprisingly easy to set up. The cards are clearly marked to help sort them into decks (easier than the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, for example). Considering the number of types of cards and rich play of the game, I’m very pleased with how easily it sets up. My biggest complaint would be that it’s very easy to mix the zombies and the survivors up, and it’s sometimes difficult to find a specific survivor, and those are pretty minor complaints.

Ease of Play: 4.5/5. Dead of Winter isn’t hard to play or understand at all. I give it a perfect score here because I wasn’t having to refer back to the rules all the time to clarify things. The only things I had to double check were combat and infection. I would call this a gateway game. There is a richness of play that belies the simplicity of the mechanics. The dice management aspect is great, and you have a lot of choices about what you want to do on your turn, but they all make sense. My only real complaint would be that the crossroads system is a little hard to remember, and it too often doesn’t trigger. Overall, I’m really pleased with how easy it is to play, while still providing an immersive experience.

Ease of Teaching: 4.5/5. Dead of Winter is quite easy to teach! Only one person really has to read the rules and after a round or so of play, everyone knows what to do. Additionally, since it’s a coop game (generally), you can all help each other out, so that helps with teaching the game as well.

Fun: 5/5. This is a fantastic game. It really reminds me of The Walking Dead TV show. It’s got zombies in it, and they’re a threat, but you really have to deal with surviving first and foremost. You have to help each other out and work together to find food and medicine and gasoline so that you don’t all freeze to death. Then you throw in the mechanic of the betrayer and it adds a whole new level. I’ve been accused of being a sociopath because I lied so well when I was the betrayer! I think this game would even appeal to those who don’t really care for the zombie theme. This is a very well done game.

That’s 18/20 or 90%! This is a great game that works well as a gateway game while also appealing to more experienced gamers. Dead of Winter could find a spot in almost any collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A very good review! A few comments...

admiral142 wrote:
My biggest complaint would be that it’s very easy to mix the zombies and the survivors up...
Which is why I used a red sharpie to color the edges of the zombie standees. HUGE difference!

admiral142 wrote:
I would call this a gateway game.
Hmmm... perhaps an "Advanced Gateway"? DoW incorporates a meta game which, IMHO, takes the gateway gaming experience up a few notches. Also, as a metric - though admittedly not the metric - DoW has 560 rules threads, while other classic gateway games have much fewer. Ticket To Ride for instance has 100 rules threads. Catan has 380, but a lot of those are asking about expansion rules.

Everything else I agree with. My granddaughter is a HUGE Walking Dead fan and I was able to get her to play DoW only because of that tie to the theme. She LOVED it! And I like it also!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea about the red sharpie!

Yes, this would be an advanced gateway game. I listen to, "The Dice Tower" a lot, and they sometimes categorize games in that way. It's not as simple as Ticket to Ride, but it's not nearly as complex as Mansions of Madness. Excellent comments, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls