Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Dearden
United States
West Point
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is not about the ... in the docks but about the ... icon used in the cost and reward for each station.

For example

If this symbol means multiple times, why does it not appear at the Solar Converter, Colony Constructor, or Raiders' Outpost? I know that you can use the Solar Converter multiple times during your turn.

Here is another example where the ... appears at the Lunar Mine but does not appear at the Colony Constructor.

Would really like to know what the ... in the cost/reward icons means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought that the colony constructor was only good for one colony per triplet placed.

It says dock the ships and pay 3 ore to place a colony, not 3 ore per colony you place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Pitts
United States
Aloha
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just a way of showing that a specific number of dice isn't needed. The important thing is the that the total is above 8. You could use any number of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read the instructions on these places, it makes sense. It basically means "or more".

For the alien artifact, the first line is any die to clear the available cards, the second line says any 2 (OR MORE) dice that add to 8 or more to claim a card.

For the colony constructor, you always have a cost of 3 ore. For the Lunar mine, the number of ore you get for placing your die is variable, hence the ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lewis
United States
Comfort
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ... indicates that you can use however dice you need to get to 8. You could use 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or even 7 if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Dearden
United States
West Point
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. This may seem naïve but why didn't they use the ... at the Solar Converter if you can use multiple dice to gain multiple fuel but used the ... at the mine when you gain multiple ore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Because the solar converter does different things with specific different values, and they need to be shown.

They are just reminders, not the actual rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Dearden
United States
West Point
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so if I'm understanding this right, you can use the Solar Converter multiple times a turn but you can only use the Raiders' Post or the Colony Constructor once a turn since the ... icon does not appear in the cost/reward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
spin thunder wrote:
OK, so if I'm understanding this right, you can use the Solar Converter multiple times a turn but you can only use the Raiders' Post or the Colony Constructor once a turn since the ... icon does not appear in the cost/reward?

No, they can ALL be used multiple times, as long as there are free slots (and the dice on the Raiders can be bumped by higher values).

Forget the shortcut symbols on the board, they are obviously leading you astray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mercer
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ... is not an icon, it's just standard use of elipses.

"An ellipsis is the three dots ( … ) we use to indicate we’ve left something out of what we’re quoting from. We also use them informally to trail off our thoughts and indicate we could tell you more, but… "

I guess the designer thought that people would get the idea of each docking facility without having to write the full text for each on the board.

I suppose in this case it wasn't clear to everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.