11 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Carcassonne Expansion help!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Gage
United States
flag msg tools
My wife and I enjoy playing Carcassonne, but lately it is getting a little stale. There are a ton of expansion packs out there not sure which one to start with. Which expansion pack to you recommend? Dont want something to different to the game just something that makes it exciting again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 2 expansions "Inns & Cathedrals" and "Traders & Builders" are great additions to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anakin1981 wrote:
The first 2 expansions "Inns & Cathedrals" and "Traders & Builders" are great additions to the base game.
That.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Expansions can add a lot to the base game, and the two already mentioned are exceptional and even often regarded as the two best to get, but you may also wish to consider one of the "other" standalone Carcs such as Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers or Carcassonne: South Seas before making up your mind for sure. One of those might offer the sort of variety that you're looking for, and they're worth looking into even if you decide to stick with expansions for the main game.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Winchell
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Bridges, Castles, and Bazaars also makes Carcassonne more challenging because of the strategy changes with the bridges and castles. The bazaars aren't that great for two players, but still interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Anakin1981 wrote:
I agree. I added Inns & Cathedrals and always play with it, I suggest getting it first. Occasionally we play with Traders and Builders added in with Inns & Cathedrals and it is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Traders and Builders best, followed by Inns & Cathedrals. The River I & II are also great, while being small additions. The Phantom is very good as well, but won't spice it up like you want by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewen Pearson
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anakin1981 wrote:
Either of these is good, but check what version of Carcassonne you have. It got new artwork recently and the expansions have also been re-released with the new artwork to match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whosearmy wrote:
It got new artwork recently and the expansions have also been re-released with the new artwork to match.
Is there a comparison image of the artwork somewhere? I could see one in the Carcassonne forums. I assume the different versions are compatible still?

Edit - found a picture of the new edition on Amazon. I think I prefer the old artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also get another version of Carcassonne to change it up a bit. Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is pretty good, and Carcassonne: Gold Rush looks nice.

But like the others are saying, if you're just looking for expansions for the base game, Inns and Cathedrals and Traders & Builders is the way to go.

zabdiel wrote:
whosearmy wrote:
It got new artwork recently and the expansions have also been re-released with the new artwork to match.
Is there a comparison image of the artwork somewhere? I could see one in the Carcassonne forums. I assume the different versions are compatible still?

Edit - found a picture of the new edition on Amazon. I think I prefer the old artwork.
The new version is compatible with the old version (according to Z-Man). The artwork on the back is the same, the artwork on the front is changed (but should still line up properly).

From what I can tell, they just made it more colorful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Anderson
msg tools
Agree try Hunters and gatherers and South Seas for a different experience with carcasonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls