Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Because Why Should I Be the Only One not to Start His Own Scythe Thread? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weeks of hemming and hawing have led me to the following conclusions:

1. The metal coins are really neat, but I just don't need 'em and I hate adding extra weight to game boxes.

2. The "realistic" resources are kinda cool-looking on their own, but don't stand out. The "normal" resources seem like they'll be easier to see clearly. Function over form!

3. The extended board is large enough to be a hassle. The regular board is plenty big. Also, see the earlier comment about extra weight.

4. The art is lovely, but the art book would just take up space collecting dust on my shelf.

$59 it is! Looking forward to playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
Popa de rosu!
badge
wheeeeee!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts exactly, but then I really need that extra space to pile all my mechs up on the one hex to threat my peace loving opponents so I went for the bigger board, nothing else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting! I just backed at $59 and kind of felt sad I couldn't afford all the extra goodies, especially with the overwhelming majority of backers going for the high-end editions. The coins look amazing! I really wanted them, but figured the $20 saved could go toward another game. I love the look of the resources, but I think the wooden resources will stack well, and maybe keep things more compact on the board. Plus, our table isn't huge, so we will probably have to stick to the regular board size.

At $59, we are getting all the great game play...just a little less bling. So even though my coins won't make that lovely clanking sound when I collect them, and my resources won't look as cool, and my board won't be as spacious, I will get to play what looks to be a great game, with the added Kickstarter promo packs making it a really good deal.

I'm glad that the higher levels offer better quality components, but don't offer exclusive items that affect game play, like bonus cards or something like that. This is my first Stonemaier game, and I can see why Jamey is known for running great campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I want it all and I want it now!"
(random Queen reference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to confess I don't understand people's interest in the wooden tokens. To me, the advantage of the "realistic" over the stylized wood is massive. The coins and board extension are nice, but not a big deal; the resources- huge deal to my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xen911 wrote:
I have to confess I don't understand people's interest in the wooden tokens. To me, the advantage of the "realistic" over the stylized wood is massive. The coins and board extension are nice, but not a big deal; the resources- huge deal to my eyes.
They are an amazing addition to the game, as are the coins, in my opinion! If it was in my budget, I would definitely spring for them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Microbadge: Leaving Earth fanMicrobadge: Genetics enthusiastMicrobadge: Tokyo Series fanMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: Oink Games fan
I dropped from $79 to $59. Why?

1. The coins are cool, but I don't need it. I don't play other games and wish they were metal, so why would Scythe be any different?

2. The resources - see #1

3. I now have $20 in my game budget to spend on Monster Truck Mayhem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is good for me...keeping me at a responsible pledge level in these final minutes of the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed for the most part. The coins look great, but $20 plus Canadian dollar exchange rate that I could use on other games. I think I'm already getting a great looking and complete game. I did opt for the board extension - I'm in for $59 + $10.

I appreciate that the extras will be available after the campaign for those that might change their mind. No exclusives is good customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alicialaura wrote:
The coins look amazing! I really wanted them, but figured the $20 saved could go toward another game.
I'm still waffling, but I find it funny that as the game includes 495 coins worth of stuff, it would cost a quarter as much to replace them with actual US currency as it would to buy the fancy metal coins for $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kulprits
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm swinging back and forth between all 3 levels, although adding the board expansion to the lower two.

Really not sure on the resources, and thought I wanted the coins as a splurge, but when you say each coin is worth more than the real money it represents it brings it home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the larger board and the realistic resource and metal money. I do not mind the extra weight as I actually have a bunch of games I have upgraded to these components.
I do not need the art book so I went for the Collectors level at $99 and left out the highest level pledge.
From a more Ameritrash style player I am taking a gamble that this will be one of those few Euro games that I will like and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
alicialaura wrote:
The coins look amazing! I really wanted them, but figured the $20 saved could go toward another game.
I'm still waffling, but I find it funny that as the game includes 495 coins worth of stuff, it would cost a quarter as much to replace them with actual US currency as it would to buy the fancy metal coins for $20.
The difference is that the game coins are actually worth something? (Just kidding!) (Sorta!)

But yes, I fell in with the $59 crowd for the reasons others have given. Mostly I couldn't justify spending $40 (68% of the price of the game) to replace serviceable components with other serviceable components.

I can totally understand those who bought the upgraded game, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, a set of nice poker chips to use as currency in games is a great investment. $20 can buy you a lot of 'em if you shop around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
1. The metal coins are really neat, but I just don't need 'em.

2. The "realistic" resources are kinda cool-looking on their own, but don't stand out. The "normal" resources seem like they'll be easier to see clearly. Function over form!

3. The extended board is large enough to be a hassle. The regular board is plenty big.

$59 it is! Looking forward to playing.
I have a very similar set of reasons for backing at $59. I'm with you on 1-3 above, although I have edited out a few details from your list. My other reason is:

4. The base version will have excellent components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Adoptive parentMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: Miniature Painter
I couldn't resist the siren call of bling, so I was at $100 (b/c I had to have the backer toast).

I will also be painting the characters at very least (and likely the mechs, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian V
United States
Lebanon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought I'd care about metal coins until I played with the ones in Tuscany. It was far more interesting and enjoyable than I thought it would be, and after using them, the old cardboard coins felt cheap and kin of bleh. It's absolutely an extravagance and doesn't affect the actual gameplay at all, but I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the BGG store is selling metal cubes in silver...a bag of 30 for $6. I think it might be a neat way to upgrade one of the resources. Might get some for my copy. Anyone else considering them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also get the real versions from us here in a pack: https://shop-staging.trycelery.com/page/scythe

Or individually here from Game Trayz: http://www.gametrayz.com/customiziable-treasure-chest.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
You can also get the real versions from us here in a pack: https://shop-staging.trycelery.com/page/scythe

Or individually here from Game Trayz: http://www.gametrayz.com/customiziable-treasure-chest.html
Still tempted to get those beautiful coins! Can't wait to get the game! If all goes well and my fiancé likes it, as I'm sure he will, I may just need to get some upgraded items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Blanchette
Canada
Roxton Pond
Québec
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is the only game now! -_^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strangebrewfellows wrote:
I never thought I'd care about metal coins until I played with the ones in Tuscany. It was far more interesting and enjoyable than I thought it would be, and after using them, the old cardboard coins felt cheap and kin of bleh. It's absolutely an extravagance and doesn't affect the actual gameplay at all, but I was really surprised how much I enjoyed it.
Haha! You nailed it. It is like rolling-metal-dice-on-a-board-game-table-with-felt. Haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the game and had to come back and remind myself why I didn't splurge on the fancy-schmancies (especially after having just played Tin Goose with poker chips instead of that crappy paper money). Looking forward to finally playing. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls