BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Choosing a Ticket to Ride variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendt Waters
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I used to play (and very much enjoyed) the online version of Ticket to Ride (until it was moved to Steam, which crashed on my computer every 5 minutes).

I have since gotten married (and picked up two college-age step-kids in the deal) and wanted to get a board game for all of us. I'm just past the "gateway" stage, but the rest of my family isn't there yet. Ticket to Ride seemed a good first game, as it's considered one of the top gateway games, and I'm familiar with it, so I'm fairly certain my family would enjoy it.

But, I'm a bit afraid that my familiarity/experience with Ticket to Ride might give me an unfair advantage -- I'm not a great TtR player, but I'm pretty good. I was thinking that one of the variants of the game might be better, as the added mechanics (e.g. the tunnels, ferries and stations in Ticket to Ride: Europe) might help to level the playing field. But there are several variants, and I'm not sure which one to pursue.

Does anyone have any recommendations based on any of the following reasons?
1. Yeah, I really like this one.
2. Yeah, this one will definitely level the playing field.
3. All of the above
4. Other

Thanks in advance ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
TtR:Europe is considered the best of the normal player count variations. It is when you start looking at 2-3 players that others get recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanya
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love sloths!Microbadge: Let's do something CRAZY!Microbadge: I prefer to do something that's in my comfort zone.Microbadge: The Awkward Yeti fanMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
brendt wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations based on any of the following reasons?
1. Yeah, I really like this one.
2. Yeah, this one will definitely level the playing field.
3. All of the above
4. Other

Thanks in advance ....
I think your experience will give you an advantage in any of the variants (although admittedly I haven't played them all). I'm not sure it would 'level the playing field', but TtR: Europe would certainly be less confrontational for new players in the sense that if they get unexpectedly blocked they still have the stations to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gage
United States
flag msg tools
Ticket to Ride Europe is a great version. I would stay away from the Nordic version, it is only for 3 people and the cities are all very difficult to find on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
When I play the Europe map with less experienced players, I usually handicap myself by removing 1, 2 or all of the stations. This in itself is 12 points handicap, but it also means that you have to be more careful, especially with 4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sagar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
An interesting alternative might be New York 1901

or something like Takenoko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
I've head good things about the new Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania. It works with any base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, see if you are interested in any of the offered countried/continents.

Otherwise I would recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe. It's a great Edition.
I'm also looking into getting new maps. I bought Uk&Pennsyvania, because it gives the most new Additions.

Maybe the Asia Map would be interesting for the Team Variant.

All in all I would say, every map is good and you will have a bit of an advantage.

If you like the traditional Ticket to Ride, get the 1910 Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendt Waters
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
BubbleChucks wrote:
An interesting alternative might be New York 1901

or something like Takenoko
Those do look interesting. They'll be the first things that I look into as long as TtR doesn't go over like a pregnant pole vaulter (i.e. my family likes TtR and we want to pursue other things).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendt Waters
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
TylerGoble1 wrote:
I've head good things about the new Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania. It works with any base game.
Is this an add-on (i.e. you have to own one of the stand-alones already)? The price and description would seem to indicate so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendt Waters
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks to everyone that has replied (not just the ones that I specifically quoted).

And keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Marklin is a beautiful version (Germany) if you can find it. Great art and a nice twist on basic TTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Pantti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Europe is overall the best in my opinion. It has more depth than original TtR, but fits for many different groups, unless very small group of 2-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride map 5 is an add on. You need to own Ticket to Ride or Ticket to Ride Europe with the cards and trains to use this expansion. Any of the map collections (1-5) only have the board and the destination tickets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottNotSteve wrote:
Marklin is a beautiful version (Germany) if you can find it. Great art and a nice twist on basic TTR.
This would be my recommendation as well. You can play it the same as base TTR if you remove the passengers and city tokens. Once everyone is good with that, you can play the full game for a deeper experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gallagher
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own TTR USA and sold it as my personal interests in games moved on.

Later I came to own TTR Europe on a trade deal and I have to say that I was more than pleased with it. It offered just enough to be interesting without adding on so much that it was off-putting to casual/non-gamer folks (the main sort I would pull TtR out for).

The ferries make using locomotives a little more thoughtful. I like the train stations allowing you to circumvent blocking, though at a cost. I like the chance element the tunnels bring in to the mix. I think chance is great for not only the creation of tension, but leveling the playing field when playing with newcomers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls