Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Artipia Games "Drum Roll" Contest participant
Okay so I'm a huge gd fan . It's prob my groups number one rated co/op adventure dungeon sci-fi romp .. And we have played them all gm or no gm .. Aside from that my fav thing about gd is the enemy ai ! Now in gd the game was set up using big tile boards allowing for a variety of tactics for the ai and for the Heroes . My concern with s&s is the small corridors which seems to limit the ai diffrent abilities and the heroes movement .. I'm still getting this game no matter what . I'm just intrested if anyone else had thoughts on this ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: War of Indines fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Emacs user - it's a way of life...
noahshu wrote:
Okay so I'm a huge gd fan . It's prob my groups number one rated co/op adventure dungeon sci-fi romp .. And we have played them all gm or no gm .. Aside from that my fav thing about gd is the enemy ai ! Now in gd the game was set up using big tile boards allowing for a variety of tactics for the ai and for the Heroes . My concern with s&s is the small corridors which seems to limit the ai diffrent abilities and the heroes movement .. I'm still getting this game no matter what . I'm just intrested if anyone else had thoughts on this ?
to be honest, I think the mix of corridors and rooms is what'll actualy make this game. In GD, tactical movement always meant considering certain map elements because they blocked LOS or granted one-way LOS (like doors when standing next to them). But those elements were often few and far apart (like on all desert maps). Even as it were, the enemy AI could sometimes get caught up in them (we've all seen what a couple of hills or buildings can do to a Xeno-Beta).

Now imagine you had spaces that give you lots of options (rooms) and those that are just tight, with few options. But still, you have to go through them. On the other hand, they might bend (blocking LOS). Or you could use them to set up traps or dominated areas and whatnot. I actually trust Gremlins to know their tunnels and adapt the enemy AI to them. It could maybe become even better than GD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gigan, Cyborg TerrorMicrobadge: Gundam fanMicrobadge: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night fanMicrobadge: I've played games in JapanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death fan - Flower Knight
That's my big hope- the tactical element won't be lost in the transition to fantasy settings of tight and narrow corridors.

My fear is we'll end up with lots of basic running forward to hit things and nothing else, both for heroes and enemies.

Hopefully I will be totally proven wrong, as I've immensely enjoyed what GD brought to the table- other than the mountain of giant boxes it currently gobbles up my remaining storage space with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG poster
illiterate bookworm wrote:
other than the mountain of giant boxes it currently gobbles up my remaining storage space with!
S&S isn't looking like it's going to help any with that particular problem. Worried about that myself. I really wish I could squeeze all the expansions into the original GD box. Much easier to hide from the wife that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: FishingMicrobadge: I Play All GamesMicrobadge: I love dry, soulless Euros!!!Microbadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."Microbadge: George Bernard Shaw - We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.
I'm good with it. The tiles loom beautiful for one, and it allows for more varied maps. The downside being longer setup.
As much as I love GD, the map looks really blurry if you unfocus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fanMicrobadge: Legend of the Five Rings LCGMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
The tactical element is simplified for S&S, but it's still certainly there (the demo quest available on Tabletopia is actually not a very good representation of this, because it uses all the simplest map tiles; just corridors and open rooms, with none of the interesting one-way movement, higher cost movement, or LOS-without-movement that's available in other map tiles).

In GD your tactical positioning is a huge deal because it was your primary way to offset the aliens' superior mobility and firepower. In S&S it's still part of the puzzle, but it's a little less prominent because the enemies and heroes have similar movement capabilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: BOGA MemberMicrobadge: Shogi fan
Skaak wrote:
The tactical element is simplified for S&S, but it's still certainly there (the demo quest available on Tabletopia is actually not a very good representation of this, because it uses all the simplest map tiles; just corridors and open rooms, with none of the interesting one-way movement, higher cost movement, or LOS-without-movement that's available in other map tiles).

In GD your tactical positioning is a huge deal because it was your primary way to offset the aliens' superior mobility and firepower. In S&S it's still part of the puzzle, but it's a little less prominent because the enemies and heroes have similar movement capabilities.
Glad to hear this, because it was one of my concerns on the Tabletopia demo--there's really not much room for tactical movement on that map.

It would be really interesting to get to play through something like a boss fight in a room with some varied terrain...wonder if that's a possibility?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls