jose Luis Rodriguez Perez
msg tools
I cant remember the exact name of the cards , but i was playing as Aquilonia, and i had some heroes and character cards on the table and ready to use, that allowed me to reroll some dice.

My question is this: if for example i am against another player, i roll dice and get 2 sucesses, and he roll his dice and get 3, can i invoke the card and reroll again, or should i only do it BEFORE he rolls?

Thanks for the help, one player claimed that all rerolls cards, even magic, should be done BEFORE the other player rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: The Hobbit is the best thing Tolkien ever wrote!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: The Battle of Five Armies fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
On page 13 it simply says the attacker rolls his dice, then the defender rolls his, and then they compare the number of successes. There is no provision for the attacker to change his roll after the defender has rolled. I interpret this to mean that sorcery and play on the table cards that provide re-rolls or extra successes are treated as part of the player's contest roll.

This is the way I have always played, and it would seem to me to give the attacker an unfair advantage to see how well or poorly the defender rolled before deciding what cards to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose Luis Rodriguez Perez
msg tools
Thanks for the help, so in your opinion the cards that grand rerolls on attack must be used and declared in the attackers turn of attack, not when the other player rolled?

This is the most used interpretation i supposed isnt it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is, we play it that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion rerolls would hardly be worth it if you have to decide to use them BEFORE you see the defender's roll. We always roll both attacker and defender before deciding to use reroll effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
In my opinion rerolls would hardly be worth it if you have to decide to use them BEFORE you see the defender's roll. We always roll both attacker and defender before deciding to use reroll effects.
Rereading the relevant rule I realise we've been doing this wrong. I promise to better myself for our next play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the wording of the rules correctly, you're supposed to decide to re-roll before the Defender rolls. Basically, before you hand the dice over.

I think this is done mostly for "bookkeeping" reasons, so you don't need to track how many dice you could have re-rolled - just remember how many successes you had.

And really, you kinda know, don't you? You know after you roll if it was a crappy roll, if it's going to be close, or if you've got it. Then re-roll accordingly.

You're of course free to house rule it any way you want. Always. It's your game. But in this case, I don't think it's necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Lundberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going by how all games do re-rolls (unless I have missed some obscure game) is that you re-roll instantly.

Re-rolls are always worth it. You know that 4 hits is always better than 2, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azjerei wrote:
Going by how all games do re-rolls (unless I have missed some obscure game) is that you re-roll instantly.

Re-rolls are always worth it. You know that 4 hits is always better than 2, for example.
I'd say it is the other way around. Almost all games I know allow you to see all rolls before deciding to re-roll. One example that I've recently played is Last Night on Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azjerei wrote:

But how would you know that you will roll more hits in the re-roll?

The decision is rather if it is probable or not that you will roll better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls