Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Play Sequence? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we're cheating: we have a lot of situations where one solider is taking his or her 2 actions and other players play cards from their hands to help them out.

For example, I'm taking and Attack action and another player plays a card that improves my attack (paying the up-gun cost too, for example). So we can have situations where one players action is augmented by card play of several other players.

Does it work that way? or once a player starts his two-action sequence then the other players have to wait until they're done before playing any cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Avatar
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
BrooklynMike wrote:
I think we're cheating: we have a lot of situations where one solider is taking his or her 2 actions and other players play cards from their hands to help them out.

For example, I'm taking and Attack action and another player plays a card that improves my attack (paying the up-gun cost too, for example). So we can have situations where one players action is augmented by card play of several other players.

Does it work that way? or once a player starts his two-action sequence then the other players have to wait until they're done before playing any cards?
Players don't each get a two-action sequence; there's a single Soldier Turn where all the players collectively do their actions in any order they please. You might want to look at the Sample Mission at the back of the rulebook; it helped clarify many such questions for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ... I'll go through as you suggest but based on that we have been playing correctly, since many cards don't require an action to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Avatar
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
BrooklynMike wrote:
Thanks ... I'll go through as you suggest but based on that we have been playing correctly, since many cards don't require an action to play.
I could be wrong - I'm new to the game - but I think you're doing it correctly.

If you don't want to do the whole Sample Mission just look at Turn #2 on page 23. Starts with Giacomelli (Player Soldier) taking an action, then Corona (Squad Soldier) taking one in which one of Giacomelli's cards is used to pay the entrance cost for Corona's move. After that, Giacomelli takes his 2nd action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere is correct. The single Soldier Turn is when all player actions and card play are accomplished in any order the players see fit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
Sphere is correct. The single Soldier Turn is when all player actions and card play are accomplished in any order the players see fit.
I'd actually go so far as to say it is one of the most important aspects of game play in Warfighter - using teamwork to combat the enemy - to hit and eliminate hostiles which create entrance penalties, screen other hostiles, and playing cards on other players in the optimal order is pretty much the core of Warfighter's appeal as a fun, co-operative wargame.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. We developed very effective team tactics by making sure everyone was benefiting as much as possible from each other's cards and such. Sequencing covering suppressive fire and selective targets as key. This almost always involved thinking through how to interleave everyone's actions.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls