Subject: When Gene Wolfe says something do you believe him? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I just finished Gene Wolfe's newest book A Borrowed Man. I enjoyed it immensely but that is not really what this post is about.

In it one of his characters who is a murder mystery writer says that a father murdering his son is the rarest kind of murder. After I read that I immediately wondered if that was true, or if Wolfe just made that up.

Is that a common response? Or do you just assume that the author knows what he or she is talking about and continue merrily along?

And I'm wondering if I'm more prone to question this because I'm reading Gene Wolfe who loves to mess with people's heads. Like that guy in Peace who crafted fraudulent rare books, and then convincingly argued that the Venus de Millo was a fake. You wonder does Wolfe actually believe that? Or is he just damned good at creating plausible untruths?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing with Gene Wolfe books is that they all, to some degree or other, feature unreliable narrators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
You've been had. Martin Van Buren killing Jane Eyre is the rarest kind of murder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Halloween 2019
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can't take Wolfe at face value, but that sounds like a fairly rare kind of murder. I doubt anyone has collated reliable statistics on this matter, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge

Neil Gaiman's first two tips for reading Gene Wolfe:

1) Trust the text implicitly. The answers are in there.

2) Do not trust the text farther than you can throw it, if that far. It's tricksy and desperate stuff, and it may go off in your hand at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
So I just finished Gene Wolfe's newest book A Borrowed Man. ... In it one of his characters who is a murder mystery writer says that a father murdering his son is the rarest kind of murder.
The character says this within the Gene Wolfe universe. He could put sideways trees in it if he wanted to.

Quote:
And I'm wondering if I'm more prone to question this because I'm reading Gene Wolfe who loves to mess with people's heads. Like that guy in Peace who crafted fraudulent rare books, and then convincingly argued that the Venus de Millo was a fake. You wonder does Wolfe actually believe that? Or is he just damned good at creating plausible untruths?
Yeah. See?

And didn't he sing for Kiss? What a character!

Glad to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/10/parents...

Not rare enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls