Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to make some simple game videos with my cell phone. I'd like to get some rig to suspend my phone in a fixed position above my table looking straight down. Amazon has a few bendable neck things, but some reviewers say they won't stay in place or are too flimsy. Tripods seem like the wrong way to go since pointing the camera down would show the legs. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mancini
msg tools
Well my advice might not be the most accurate or useful as I am definitely not a professional when it comes to taking videos of game play, but I do have a little experience with it.

What I've found in my limited experience is that using a phone for taking the video isn't really the best option. They do have some decent video and picture capability, but for not too much money you can get a good quality webcam that you can connect directly to your computer. Several of these are designed to be able to connect to tripods and booms/etc.

Now I don't know how much money you're willing to spend on this venture but from what I've seen you get what you pay for. If you want consistently high quality video (and audio to boot) I'd recommend you do some searching online, find a really good webcam that can connect to a boom. Find a good boom rig that's compatible with the webcam you choose and then get them both.

This will allow you to set up the boom and camera so that it looks directly down on your play area, and as it can connect directly to a computer (typically via USB) you will be able to control (start/stop/zoom/etc) the recording without having to reach up and mess with a phone that's precariously suspended above your gaming area.

Anyway, that's my advice. I hope it helps you some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a tripod and a tripod bar. That would work for a regular camera, but I don't know how it would work with a phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a rectangular cardboard holder so I could suspend my phone over my table with a yard stick. It works pretty good, and was free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.