Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Subdivision fan - RoadsMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - LuxuryMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - ParksMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - SchoolsMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - Lakes
My first try netted me 39. I suspect that is weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bruhn
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
boomtron wrote:
My first try netted me 39. I suspect that is weak.
No, that's not weak - usually I consider it a good score if I have 40 or more. Of course 45 and more is possible, but I don't remember I ever reach the 50.

Don't forget, that this score very much depends on the position of the Lab tiles. Did you play the basic Setting from A1 to I1?

And one more question: Did you add the 4 points for the most crystals? I usually don't add that in my solo games.
If you added these 4 points, then your score (35) is so-so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Subdivision fan - RoadsMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - LuxuryMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - ParksMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - SchoolsMicrobadge: Subdivision fan - Lakes
I did not use the basic setup. I also did not add the 4 for most crystals (the rules say not to). I had a nice lab setup though, and maxed out my labs for lots of end game vps.

Ive played 2 more since then, scoring 37 going for a subs and bots strategy, and then scoring a whopping 44 going for a big Octopod strategy.

I'm really loving this game.

Also, just to be sure, since I play 9 turns, I have 3 more turns to score/collect Octopods in the solo game, right? But, that is at the expense of crystal majority scoring, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Toussaint
msg tools
designer
Using the basic setting you can score up to 55 points with octos, bots, subs and lab tiles.
I never was that lucky. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I scored 28 on my first game with the basic setup.

It would be great if someone could create a Solo Scoring table to have something to aim for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized I was playing Octopods wrong my first 2 games. I was using one of my actions on them which made my life much more difficult. Even after playing correctly, my top score is 31. I get the impression that for a high score you need to concentrate on one, maybe two categories. I don't see how you could get a lot of points on lab scoring unless you almost exclusively went for lab actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Barring any special labs, it would take 9 of your 15 actions to get to the bottom of all the tracks. So, some focus, but certainly not exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
I tried the solo game twice with the basic set up.

First game - 38 - Focused on the technologies and the scoring bonuses, but couldn't max out most of the tracks.

Second game - 25 - Terrible dice luck. Several turns I had no viable second action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samc1078 wrote:
I scored 28 on my first game with the basic setup.

It would be great if someone could create a Solo Scoring table to have something to aim for
What about a public spread sheet where people could post their scores? Then a leader board sheet which is updated weekly? I made a quick one if anyone is interested to try it out.

Moderators, is it acceptable to post a link for that here (in the forums)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TimBo
United Kingdom
Thame
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first two solo games. 26 with basic setup then 40 with a setup of my choosing. All 5 subs, 2x2 robots, Octopods aplenty and maxed out labs all helped. Be great to see that spreadsheet up and running, perhaps with each lab setup detailed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Negotiator wrote:
Just played my first two solo games. 26 with basic setup then 40 with a setup of my choosing. All 5 subs, 2x2 robots, Octopods aplenty and maxed out labs all helped. Be great to see that spreadsheet up and running, perhaps with each lab setup detailed?
Good point on the lab set up. I don't have the game, yet. I will have to look at the tiles and see how I can track the set up. Looking at using Google Forms to input the data to a sheet. I am away from home in training next week which affords me the time in the afternoon to work on this. I will post in the forums once I have it figured out. There will be one link for the form and one for the spreadsheet with the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I netted 51 first solo play and 59 second solo play.

I randomized my lab tiles and both games was able to pull at least one of the bot or research bonus tiles (B2 and D2) and the +1 octopod bonus for multi-octopods (lab A2).

Strategies: I maxed out all my labs to gain any possible tier 2 bonuses. I completely ignored the crystal column unless I had no other choice since the solo game doesn't award bonus crystal points at the end. I made frequent use of lab C2 (may convert a sub die to bot action each turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shanaman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you score combined points for level 2 labs? (e.g., 3 + 5 + 7 points for Super Lab V if you completed all labs) The rules aren't clear, but I was guessing that you only score one of the possible point counts (e.g., 7 if you completed all labs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls