4 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Making a "Luxury" Checker Style Game Board - CHEAPLY rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OK, I have the privilege of taking part in a secret santa thing.

I want to make a miniature replica of the Thud board, BUT I want to make it "luxury", I don't just want cardboard or 3d printed plastic.

I have toyed with 3 possible routes to go down...

Metal/Metallic, Stone or wood.

On the metallic side, I have seen a stainless steel mosaic tile sheet that might work. And to be fair it looks like mosaic tiles may be the best route to go down for stone as well, it's that or jewellery making beads as far as I can see. It's that or cast individual tiles out of plaster or diy filler and dye or paint them.

The wood is also trick as I have limited tools and skills.

And all this has to cost under £11 GBP (~€15 Eur/$17 USD).

For those that don't know, the thud board is a chess style board in that it has alternating black and white squares. But it is a unique shape.

■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
□ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □
□ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■
■ □ ■ □ ■

All ideas welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Saunders
United States
Syracuse
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1" square wooden tiles from etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/60257502/300-new-1-inch-wood-sq...

Thud (according to BGG) has 165 squares. So the 100 set plus the 50 set is still not enough so I liked to the 300 piece set.

Stain half a dark color and either use a natural stain or a wood whitener on the others.

Buy a precut piece of 1/4 inch hardboard (also known as Masonite) that is large enough to fit the tiles.

after gluing up tiles to the board, cut the board to the same size as the tiles.

Then, wrap the edge by gluing a 1"x1" board around the edge. You do not need to make the edging the exact same height as the board because you can attach the edging with the board laying on its top.

You could also use household moulding as edging for a fancier look.

You could do this with patience you should be able to do this with no more than a hand saw. If you have glue, stain and sandpaper that should do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for that, the etsy price for the squares is nearly twice my budget - but maybe I can make my own squares.

Food for thought...

The rest of that is very useful info, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Saunders
United States
Syracuse
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you have a simple miter box and lots of patience, you CAN make your own tiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls