Subject: 2016 One Page PNP Contest - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
After some discussion about possible design contests for next year in this thread, I have decided to host another contest in 2016.

The inspiration for this contest comes from the One Full Sheet Label Contest held back in 2011.

The constraints are pretty straight forward. 1 page, no cutting, no limit on components (no customization), and no limit on rules. The entries should be able to be printed on both A4 and American letter paper (this was also discussed at length).

The dates are TBD at this point. The contest will likely run for 2-4 months with a 1 month voting period.

What are your thoughts for the contest? The rules will probably be similar to the rules for the Mint Tin Contest.

The [tentative] voting categories:
1. Best Overall Design
2. Most Creative
3. Best Theme
4. Best Artwork & Design
5. Best Written Rules

Note: This is a discussion thread only. All feedback, suggestions, and comments are appreciated. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
R4D6 wrote:
The constraints are pretty straight forward. 1 page, no cutting, no limit on components (no customization)
I understand everything except the straightforward part.blush

No cutting the 1 page, so the 1 page isn't for components? So, the 1 page is the game board and you use other standard/common components???

Whatever it is, I'm probably in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Yes - that was the idea. However, I think the last time this contest was run, you were allowed to cut up the 1 page for various components.

I'm open to modifying this constraint. Just want to make sure it's quick and easy to print and play the designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
Microbadge: 2019 Solitaire Print and Play Contest participantMicrobadge: Orchard: A 9 card solitaire game fanMicrobadge: Print and Play Games News fanMicrobadge: 2019 9 Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest participantMicrobadge: Fan of the Solitaire Print & Play Contest
R4D6 wrote:
However, I think the last time this contest was run, you were allowed to cut up the 1 page for various components.
That's right. In 2011, the contest allowed for components as long as all components fit on one page. Games like Jasper and Zot had counters and a board that you cut up.

Personally, I'd rather see components that you cut allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have any components and everything was one page that wasn't allowed to be cut...

Are we talking about like a folk game where you talk about it? Or an RPG where it's all in your head?

You kinda need something to track *some* thing for it to be considered a "boardgame"?

Even Ouija needs a component separate from the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
If you don't have any components and everything was one page that wasn't allowed to be cut...

Are we talking about like a folk game where you talk about it? Or an RPG where it's all in your head?

You kinda need something to track *some* thing for it to be considered a "boardgame"?

Even Ouija needs a component separate from the board.
Unlimited components are allowed as long as they are not customized (I assume that means any number of dice, colored wooden cubes etc).

But I agree it is more fun to be allowed to cut up the sheet for counters/cards etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace McDermott
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
*reads the thread*

Damn, I'll never be able to think of an idea that's only one page.

*walks outside to get a glass of water*

*inspiration hits me with a baseball bat*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see, so you can use dice and bits of stuff that's just lying around. Like Playing Cards with aces and etc, like dice, like... Even tokens, as long as it's not like "a red token and a blue token and a brown token".

Okay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Oh, I see, so you can use dice and bits of stuff that's just lying around. Like Playing Cards with aces and etc, like dice, like... Even tokens, as long as it's not like "a red token and a blue token and a brown token".

Okay
I would definitely expect from the description that asking for colored tokens would be ok? "Customized" to me means something like having to print out stickers to put on wooden blocks, or "you need to take a marker and write X on 25 of the red cubes". If the game says "you need 20 red cubes and 20 blue cubes to play" I think that would be fine because that is ready-made tokens that do not require customization? Not that you can prevent players from using their favorite colors instead, but being able to refer to them as "red" and "blue" in the rules, and have matching red and blue things drawn on the one-sheet, makes sense, instead of vaguely just saying "color 1" and "color 2" or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the rules are not limited by this single sheet requirement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
R4D6 wrote:
no limit on rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
no limit on rules
Note to self: re-read the post before asking dumb questions. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:
R4D6 wrote:
no limit on rules
I don't understand this, what does it mean that the rules are not limited by the single sheet requirement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
I believe the game board + any paper pieces, etc. are limited to the 1 page (then, add any common components: dice, cubes, etc.).

Separate from that, the rules are a stand alone document - they don't need to fit on the 1 page that is the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
R4D6 wrote:

The [tentative] voting categories:
1. Best Overall Design
2. Most Creative
3. Best Theme
4. Best Artwork & Design
5. Best Written Rules

Note: This is a discussion thread only. All feedback, suggestions, and comments are appreciated. Thank you.
I suggest "Most Creative" be re-named "Most Creative Game Mechanic".

I believe the other "creative" options would fall under "Best Theme" or "Best Artwork & Design".

In other words, a game with a very creative theme shouldn't win "Best Theme" AND "Most Creative". At least, that's how my brain sees it.

Or, does "Most Creative" mean something else?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryinth wrote:
*reads the thread*

Damn, I'll never be able to think of an idea that's only one page.

*walks outside to get a glass of water*

*inspiration hits me with a baseball bat*
Pirate Dice: Voyage on the Rolling Seas was born from this as RoboDerby: Express
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Thread Necromancer... I revive dead threads.Microbadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: Kickstarter fanMicrobadge: Tokyo/Osaka Game Market attendeeMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

Or, does "Most Creative" mean something else?
Most creative: use of the page, theme, story, flavor text, origami, interpretation of the contest rules, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be fun!

Perhaps we'll even see a postcard revival?

minimal versions of boardgames on playable POSTCARDS that aren't wargames with a sheet of tokens

The PnP POSTCARDGAME CONTEST - CLOSED! THANK YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
R4D6 wrote:
However, I think the last time this contest was run, you were allowed to cut up the 1 page for various components.
Personally, I'd rather see components that you cut allowed.
Does this mean the player supplies cubes or pawns which you then require them to cut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, so no cutting AT ALL? Does that mean I can't do another bookmark-based game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
The questions and feedback are helpful. Thanks!

I'm leaning towards allowing 1 page (1 sided) of printed components which can be cut out (board, counters, tiles, dice labels, cards, etc.) and any [reasonable] number of generic components (dice, cubes, poker chips, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Does anyone have suggested dates (sometime in 2016) for the contest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Microbadge: DreamerMicrobadge: Invisible Sky Fairies - Gaming invisibly since forever.Microbadge: The winter of VGGMicrobadge: I Love FogMicrobadge: 2017 Winter Wonderland Adventure Design contest participant
Well, I find that earlier in the year I tend to have more time for contests... as the year progresses, things get busier and busier... so I'd say somewhere around March - but that's just me. No need to make your entire contest fit my schedule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry angels
msg tools
Sounds like fun! One thing i always wish we could get out of these contests is more feedback from the voters. Things like how many games they actually play and how they come to their conclusions. Perhaps there should be a prize for best reviewer as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
adularia25 wrote:
Well, I find that earlier in the year I tend to have more time for contests... as the year progresses, things get busier and busier... so I'd say somewhere around March - but that's just me. No need to make your entire contest fit my schedule!
I'd agree. Maybe Jan 1 to Mar 31 submission time. Or Jan 15 to Mar 15.

I'm fine with anything, but would prefer a submission deadline sometime around March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |