Subject: why a 0? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one of those random questions that enter my head after a game. Why is there a zero on the die? I know some events trigger with a zero, but really you could just use any number. You do not roll the die with no aliens so an alien attack roll is out of the question. My only guess is so you have a 33 percent chance of dying with one alien, but you could just use two 1s really.

Just one of those dumb questions that will probably keep me up at night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ComposerMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Runebound PBF playerMicrobadge: Writer
bigGameGeek wrote:
My only guess is so you have a 33 percent chance of dying with one alien, but you could just use two 1s really.
But then the thread would be titled "why two 1s instead of a 0?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: J. R. R. Tolkien fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with ChildrenMicrobadge: Unbroken fanMicrobadge: Cauldron fan
To rub in the futility of your attempts

That's how I always took it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor wolf

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I forgot about the "launch control" final room. You could roll a 0 and end the game without having any support tokens on it!

Whew! I can sleep soundly tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you said, they might have originally planned genestealer attacks to kill only when the dice roll is lower than the amount of genestealers in the swarm rather than equal to or lower than.
So a swarm of 1 had a chance to kill, and a 0 looks less like a manufacturing error than two 1s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With two 1s instead of 0 and 1, Zael's Flamer Attack would be guaranteed kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also special attacks that kill a number of genestealers equal to the die roll, and Brother Claudio dies on a 0... and other things that checks for a 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: Volcano fanMicrobadge: GeekModderMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
bigGameGeek wrote:
Actually I forgot about the "launch control" final room. You could roll a 0 and end the game without having any support tokens on it!
I've done that--with a lone surviving Marine who would have been a goner in the genestealer phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
I've done that--with a lone surviving Marine who would have been a goner in the genestealer phase.
Congrats on the win, but make no mistake, your Marine was still a goner. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: Volcano fanMicrobadge: GeekModderMicrobadge: Gold game player. At least 5,000 logged game plays!
GaryP wrote:
Carthoris wrote:
bigGameGeek wrote:
Congrats on the win, but make no mistake, your Marine was still a goner. devil
I'd say most of my wins haven't offered the remaining Marine(s) much prospect of safe return. Still, maybe the triggered "launch" took the Marine away from the swarms and the space hulk itself? (In game terms, it might be like traveling with with 50 tokens on a door!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls