Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that the year continues until everybody has had as many turns as they want. What if I want to delay my "last" turn to wait and see what everybody else does and possibly get the income from others completing goals but they want to wait to take their turns until they see what I do on my turn? I could not identify a mechanism to force the game forward in the rules. Technically, I have not had as many turns as I "want" but I want to keep passing until player B goes and likewise for player B. What then determines the end of the year, or does it continue on until somebody gets bored and gives in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone passes, the year is over. I think the intent of passing is saying you are done. Yes, you can jump back in, but if you pass, you risk the year ending before you want it to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If two or more players "want" to perform additional actions but are not willing to go first they are at an impasse: I suggest glasses of wine and some iocaine powder.

More seriously, if the players would prefer the "taking turns" phase to end rather than to go next with any actions then the "taking turns" phase of the year should end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of one player's turn, if no one wants to take a turn, the year ends.

If someone claims to want to take a turn, but then they don't take one when offered the chance to do so, they don't actually want to take a turn at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say if such a stalemate exist. The year ends while governments waste time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't really seen players intentionally delaying/holding back in our plays, but I see what others are describing.

Since the game encourages everyone to accomplish missions/goals first, we just finish out our turns (and then perform automatic maneuvers) as scheduled.

When someone completes a mission, players can re-open their turns to spend the extra $10 gained; makes for some interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Steve Carey wrote:
Haven't really seen players intentionally delaying/holding back in our plays, but I see what others are describing.

Since the game encourages everyone to accomplish missions/goals first, we just finish out our turns (and then perform automatic maneuvers) as scheduled.

When someone completes a mission, players can re-open their turns to spend the extra $10 gained; makes for some interesting decisions.

I've seen exactly the same. Everyone takes all possible actions as soon as they are able. The only use for taking more than one turn has been when the money comes available from someone else's successful mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

I've seen exactly the same. Everyone takes all possible actions as soon as they are able. The only use for taking more than one turn has been when the money comes available from someone else's successful mission.

During the later game, I've seen that going first is an advantage but with most of the easy goals, I would much rather have $10 than 1 vp. If I'm going to try to get the $10, then I might need the other player to go before me (otherwise I might inadvertently get it). Also, $10 by itself is not as useful as $35 to start my turn with.

That said, the point of the question was simply to understand what the rules dictate should happen. It seems that it is basically when all players consecutively pass, the round is over and everybody forfeits the excess budget that they squandered (except for maybe testing Life Support).

Thank you everybody for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.