The Resistance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mistakenly failing a mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think is the best way to handle a game in which a resistance member mistakenly fails a mission? Happened today in an 8-player game. I was a spy so I immediately knew what happened (only one spy went on the mission and two fail cards popped up).

I only see two courses of action: 1. Restart the game; or 2. Continue the game. There's no way to call for a re-vote without outing yourself as a spy.

Today I let the game continue (for multiple reasons, one being that we were playing at lunch during work and were running out of time).

Would love to hear everybody's thoughts on the best way to proceed when this happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we had a 5 player game recently and in Round 2, 2 fail cards came up. The drunk Russian said, I threw the extra one to look for the surprised faces, and immediately pointed at two folks and declared they were the traitors. I decided to trust the Russian at locating KGB and bet on him the next round. He was correct. Those two turned out to be the traitors. He then declared drunken Russian logic superior and did another vodka shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
horrorcheck wrote:
What do you think is the best way to handle a game in which a resistance member mistakenly fails a mission? Happened today in an 8-player game. I was a spy so I immediately knew what happened (only one spy went on the mission and two fail cards popped up).

I only see two courses of action: 1. Restart the game; or 2. Continue the game. There's no way to call for a re-vote without outing yourself as a spy.

Today I let the game continue (for multiple reasons, one being that we were playing at lunch during work and were running out of time).

Would love to hear everybody's thoughts on the best way to proceed when this happens.

I generally just stop the game and either redeal or play something else. It's happpened to me a couple times with newbies. The game is totally compromised, though, so I don't really see a point in contnuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif The Lucky
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
Well, we had a 5 player game recently and in Round 2, 2 fail cards came up. The drunk Russian said, I threw the extra one to look for the surprised faces, and immediately pointed at two folks and declared they were the traitors. I decided to trust the Russian at locating KGB and bet on him the next round. He was correct. Those two turned out to be the traitors. He then declared drunken Russian logic superior and did another vodka shot.
Decent strategy, if it wasn't against the rules.

If a rebel ever throws a fail, that's an immediate misdeal and start over. Unless it was intentional, in which case the spies immediately win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid game, play it like a resistance player made a mistake and caused the mission to fail. It will be nearly impossible for the resistance to win, but people will be careful next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:

It is worth noting that this play is not actually legal. Loyal resistance members are not allowed to fail missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not supposed to be able to do that, but I laughed out loud at the image of a loud drunken Russian taking shots and hurling accusations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Wrye
United States
Philipsburg
PA
flag msg tools
mb
I would say keep playing, seems silly to restart to me. Should make for fun resistance member trying to convince everyone he accidently played the wrong card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the spies know it happened. They would be foolish to bring it up and out themselves. As a member of the resistance it is your duty to make sure you play the right card. Failure to do so show a lack of situational awareness that you can't fault the spies for the failure of the resistance. Play on, I say. The spies can gloat about it to the resistance member following the third failed mission.

Also, if you stop/restart the game you have introduced a mechanic for the resistance to nerf a game that they feel that they are loosing which takes all of the tension out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lupecazaril wrote:
I would say keep playing, seems silly to restart to me. Should make for fun resistance member trying to convince everyone he accidently played the wrong card.

We once has a spy convince a resistance member that she had played the wrong card (she didn't, the spy did) and then she in turn convinced the rest of the table that it had been her mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
Only the spies know it happened. They would be foolish to bring it up and out themselves. As a member of the resistance it is your duty to make sure you play the right card. Failure to do so show a lack of situational awareness that you can't fault the spies for the failure of the resistance. Play on, I say. The spies can gloat about it to the resistance member following the third failed mission.

Also, if you stop/restart the game you have introduced a mechanic for the resistance to nerf a game that they feel that they are loosing which takes all of the tension out of it.

Well, sure, if you think your friends are cheaters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
lupecazaril wrote:

We once has a spy convince a resistance member that she had played the wrong card (she didn't, the spy did) and then she in turn convinced the rest of the table that it had been her mistake.

Which, in my opinion, is enough reason to restart games where it actually happens. The players should be able to trust that the rules of the game are being observed.

Pretending that the rules are not being followed is not a legitimate bluff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
If the whole table agree that was what had happened and were happy to carry on playing then the logical thing to do would be to flip the failed mission to a pass (assuming it was a single fail). The spies would probably object to that though!

(I'm of the opinion that if someone makes the kind of mistake where they meant to do something but picked the wrong card or whatever then they can take it back if the game mechanics make it possible, I don't want a game decided by a play that a player never intended to make)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would restart the game, unless there wasn't time (at which point I'd either abandon it or carry on depending on what I felt was the best option at the time and tell everyone at the end of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
You gotta restart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
If the whole table agree that was what had happened and were happy to carry on playing then the logical thing to do would be to flip the failed mission to a pass (assuming it was a single fail).

The problem is that the only people who could object are spies. The rest of the table doesn't get the opportunity to object, so no agreement can be made without the spies revealing themselves.

I tend to agree with continuing play. If somebody made a mistake, the onus is on them and they cost the Resistance the game. Luckily the game goes quick enough that the consequences of this mistake don't last very long.

However, I also feel that the spies shouldn't play it up. They're already pretty much guaranteed a win after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think you almost certainly abandon the game. You could abandon and say spies win but I don't think the the win would be satisfying so just play again. I don't really see the point in playing out a game that's almost certainly a foregone conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
You gotta restart.
Yup. Broken game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I don't think the the win would be satisfying.

I am satisfied by all winning, save for cheating (direct or inadvertent being equal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

I am satisfied by all winning, save for cheating (direct or inadvertent being equal).

This whole thread is about inadvertent cheating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

This whole thread is about inadvertent cheating...

Nope, rather inadvertent failure. For instance: If a game has an upkeep where you gain an extra coin and I dont, I'm not obligated to pay attention to your abilities or play area to make sure you dont bone yourself by not taking the coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
horrorcheck wrote:
However, I also feel that the spies shouldn't play it up. They're already pretty much guaranteed a win after that.

Unless there's a drunk Russian present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules also say that Resistance Operatives must play a Success card. If they don't, then they are most definitely cheating.

I agree that this should be chalked up as a Spy win caused by Resistance incompetence and another game should start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horrorcheck wrote:
The problem is that the only people who could object are spies. The rest of the table doesn't get the opportunity to object, so no agreement can be made without the spies revealing themselves.

Since the game is broken anyway, what reason is there for the spies to remain hidden?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Since the game is broken anyway, what reason is there for the spies to remain hidden?

To win the game and show the Resistance why they need to be more careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |