Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Context is Thanksgiving. Kids are 12-18 yo. 2-3 girls (one of whom is my 18yo gamer daughter). American kids know each other well, but don't know kids from abroad. Oldest kids from abroad have a good command of English (so could understand and translate, if need be, rules explanation). I'm not hosting, but my friend has asked me to bring games for the kids. Ideally, I want to bring at least a few different kinds of games than can all play together, but will also bring games for fewer players if they decide to subdivide.

My daughter instantly thought of Eat Poop You Cat, but I suspect that may be more idiomatic/reliant on shared cultural referents than she realizes. I thought Perudo, but realized that my version only handles 6 players. Would some Werewolf-style game work? If so, is any flavor better than the others for this kind of group? Reverse Charades seems like a maybe, perhaps with some editing? We also have Bang (Dice and Bullet) and Cash N Guns (which will no doubt confirm the visiting kids' worst fears re The US!)

Any and all advice welcomed. I'd like to pull from what I already own, but I do have enough time to acquire something new if need be. And, as luck would have it, a plague of teens will be descending on my house tomorrow afternoon for a game party, so we can test out suggestions (of games already owned) that come in tonight or tomorrow morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro might work, handles 8, no reading in-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For that large of a group.
you could have a go at Liars dice. You don't need an actual board or anything, just paper/plastic cups (not clear) and a bunch of dice (5 each).

Roll For It! Deluxe Edition is a a good game for 8 players! (match your dice with the cards in the section, first to 40 points win.

Other then dice games, Charades is always good! (but might be difficult for people speaking other languages).

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a good game, quick and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Doesn't Ca$h 'n Gun$ play 7-8 with some expansion ? Unless they don't like pointing foam buns at each other of course.

If the non-English natives can at least understand English, Concept is a nice option too. No language in there beside reading the cards.

And finally Saboteur. My favorite party-like game for groups up to 10 !

Oh, and Pit, but maybe you don't want them yelling all night long ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant is completely fantastic for your scenario! And it is pretty inexpensive. 1 decision every turn simulataneously choose whether to stay in the temple or run away. If you spring 2 identical traps, anyone left in the temple that round loses the treasure they accumlated in the round. Really fun :)

If you want to dish out big bucks, PitchCar is a fun racing game with flicking disks.

And some old favourites with a deck of 52 cards:
Oh Hell!
Spoons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
Hoppladi Hopplada! plays up to 7.

OK, went through your games collection - based on player count only:
Bausack
Bamboleo
Camel Up
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose
Gumball Rally
Frank's Zoo
Mü & More
Nuns on the Run
Pickomino - this one I've played. It is good!
Pluckin' Pairs
SET
Take it Easy!
VivaJava: The Coffee Game
Ugg-Tect
Fearsome Floors
Dancing Dragons
Slapshot
Snorta!
PitchCar

Good luck!! Sounds like fun! I wish I could be more helpful!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was, Nanuk!

Coup can be quite a bit of fun as well.

Neither will break the bank either, which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimate Warriorz might be a nice option too. Plays up to 8, and has no reading necessary. Like King of Tokyo, but with more players and a bit more strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Doesn't Ca$h 'n Gun$ play 7-8 with some expansion ? Unless they don't like pointing foam buns at each other of course.

If the non-English natives can at least understand English, Concept is a nice option too. No language in there beside reading the cards.

And finally Saboteur. My favorite party-like game for groups up to 10 !

Oh, and Pit, but maybe you don't want them yelling all night long ^^
Great suggestions. However, perhaps Cash 'n Guns isn't a good idea, as there are different cultural attitudes to guns. I, for example, would seriously think about buying a game with guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Verwaest
Belgium
Hemiksem
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camel Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
the best thing you can doi with non-native speakers is to get them talking.

I'd recommend Bohnanza (if available). With the expansion plus La Isla Bohnita, 7 or 8 players are possible and the haggling is excellent to practise language skills.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue or other co-ops are also a good way to talk strategy (unless you have alpha players at the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this isn't exactly inexpensive (quite the opposite really), but Shadows over Camelot is an awesome game that scales to 8 if you have the expansion too (7 otherwise)

Some language dependence, but not a lot. Might take long with 8, though.

For 7 players, 7 wonders. The best thing about that is NO DOWNTIME and no language on cards.

These two are a little more engaging than the usual party games I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks -- lots of good suggestions. I'll see if I can dig out Nanuk for today's party and give it a trial run. Bragging/bluffing may be more fun for this group, given the kids I do know, than cooperating, LOL! Agree that Cash n'Guns seems potentially risky. I also don't know how much interest in, experience with, or attention span for games the kids from Bali will have. So short dice and racing games seem like a good place to start. Ordered Roll for It! (not previously on my radar) and will audition Camel Up and Gumball Rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Between Two Cities or Steampunk Rally (though this one has some text on the Boost cards that may need translating). Both play 7, and neither really gets too much longer if you add in more players (running times are ~20 minutes for BTC and ~1 hour for Steampunk Rally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of follow-up questions:

Nanuk vs. Diamant/Diamant (which is the version I have).

Are they too same-y to play both? (Should I stay or should I go? dynamic) And, if so, which is likely to be better for this group? Part of me thinks that the language/persuasion component of Nanuk is actually a plus here. But maybe the bidding is tougher to explain.

And is PitchCar doomed if there's wall-to-wall carpeting and no long table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
smithhemb wrote:
And is PitchCar doomed if there's wall-to-wall carpeting and no long table?
Pitchcar has a bunch of different track layouts some of which don't take up that much area because of the number of internal turns. I just measured #7 and it fits in 40" x 31".

In addition it it very useful (necessary even) to have enough space around the table for people to easily walk around it.

Without something hard, like a sheet of MDF, I don't think carpet will work. The individual track segments will lift causing lethal (to the cars) height differences between them.

Assuming you have the play area for it then Pitchcar is a great suggestion. It is probably not something you want to play for hours at a time but for a few games it is great fun. You should play a few practice games first so somebody has a good grasp of the rules because the book can be a bit vague. This is the case with most dexterity games in my experience because there is an almost infinite set of weird possibilities for strange results in the real world.

People have already suggested One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Dixit. Both of which are great. Regular Dixit technically only supports six players but someone on BGG suggested a simple variant with more players whereby any players after the sixth card is played are skipped. They still get the opportunity to guess the correct card and gain points, they just don't get to play a card. The people who miss out rotate around the table so it doesn't have that much of an impact.

I also think Citadelsand Shadow Huntersare good possibilities as well. They both have text on the cards but it is fairly simple and after a while you will have memorised most of it anyway. Shadowhunters is a little more problematic since your role is secret for the whole game, so if you don't understand it you are in trouble. In Citadels most roles are used every round so you will get used to them pretty quickly. In both cases the majority of the non role cards are in public view so you can just ask someone to explain them if you need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival was my first thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls