Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I was prepared to purchase Sergeants Miniatures Game when I came across this game, We Were Brothers? Can anyone give a comparison between the two? Does one improve upon the other or are do they provide completely different experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Prager
Germany
Pulheim
flag msg tools
Doctor Boardgame helps
badge
Doctor Boardgame helps
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both and think its completly different.

SMG is more like a Story and WWB is more tactical and has more depth.

I dont like SMG anymore cause of the weak rules and not so smooth gameplay...

WWB is one of my favourites for playing squad games- cause you have many Options and it really represented a skirmish-fight. And many Options to buy some cool buildings etc...:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of agree with the poster above that SMG is story driven but find strategy and tactics in both games. The systems are VERY different, though.

I like them both. They scratch different itches. SMG has a squad building element and is card driven so you are managing that chaos. WWB is a bit more "traditional".

I have not delved very far into WWB but look forward to doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, this is much better than SMG. I was very disappointed with the game play in SMG and the awkwardness of some of the rules, but more than anything I was disappointed with the boards that I found flimsy and curled up without plexiglass over them.

We Were Brothers scores in all categories. As I've posted elsewhere, the boards are superb both in appearance and thickness. Game play is very good - it has a very strong miniatures feel with good depth, but without the excessive complexity that figure games rules often have and the fiddly use of measuring sticks for movement.

I'd strongly recommend the optional rule of having sides alternate activation by group of four soldiers and we will be experimenting with how alternating single man activation works.

The one small detail we queried was the power and general accuracy of grenades- a very minor point and one that can easily be addressed by either changing the strength of the dice used or limiting the number of explosive grenades even more than the rules do.

I have no hesitation in strongly recommending this package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.