Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 32 planets, we should get some great representation of places from the original movies, prequels, and Expanded Universe. As somebody who pored over the maps in the front of each Star Wars book, having a giant FFG board to play on is pretty much a dream come true.

The planets are REALLY hard to make out the names of, but we already know a few from the game descriptions. As more info is released, we can probably populate the rest of the list.

1. Coruscant
2. Corellia
3. Sullust
4. Bespin
5. Bothawui
6. Mon Calamari
7. Nal Hutta
8. Dagobah
9. Endor*
10. Hoth
11. Alderaan
12. Naboo
13. Kashyyyk

So that's a quarter of the planets already revealed. I think Hoth and Endor are also pretty much confirmed, seeing as both appear on the box cover, card art, and in the mechanics. If we extrapolate from the mechanics, I think Yavin is another strong certainty*, as well as Alderaan, assuming the game starts BBY. Along those lines, I think we'll also see Dantooine.

(*Actually, looking on the board again, I think Yavin is all but confirmed. To the far left is a gas giant with a small colorful, moon. I'm certain that's Yavin from A New Hope. The text underneath also looks like it says Yavin)

Tatooine is another probable, seeing as how pervasive it is in Star Wars.

After these guesses, there is still the difficult-to-read map. It might be possible to guess planet names from the word length and planet images. The only one I feel comfortable guessing right now is the ringed planet on the right side of the board, which is probably Geonosis, the only ringed planet in Star Wars I'm aware of.

One other source of guesses would be art from other FFG games. Kashyyyk and Dathomir are in quite a lot of the art from the LCG, so it makes sense if we saw more of it in this game with places to match.

What does everyone else think? I'm sure we all have our favorite planets we'd like to see on the board and reflected in the mechanics, (e.g., Naboo, Mustafar, Kamino, Chandrila, Byss, Csilla, Kuat, Kessel, to name a few, some from Rebels, etc. which I may not be aware of) but after these, I think it all might be speculation.

-----------------
UPDATE:

Based on the SUSD podcast episode, I added a few more confirmed planets. See numbers 9-13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Litvak
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Foooolish Samurai Warrior!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderaan looks to be one of the core sector planets along with Corellia, Coruscant, and an unknown planet (Kuat?).

It looks like Mustafar is above Bespin, Naboo near Sullust. The bottom left I believe is Dantooine due to the purple and green surface. Kashyyyk has to be one of the planets between Nal Hutta and the core sector.

Some guesses for planets not mentioned are Mandalore, Utapau, Ryloth, and Ord Mantell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dim
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think their [FFG] best bet is to use all of the great names from Rebellion, the PC game... I would hope that they steer clear of prequel planets - theres no need for them. It looks like they are doing this already, because FFG is smart.

On another note, I can't wait to learn more about the mechanics of this game - at first glance, it appears that modifying the rules to incorporate IA and Armada for the "resolve a battle" portion are entirely possible. The more expansions that come out for IA and Armada will make it easier to incorporate.

All in all, the game by itself looks extremely promising. I LOVE that there is a star wars game that embraces the asymmetry of the struggle between a empirical, limitless government, and an insurgency that is always on the run.

I hope the previews keep on bringing in the data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Litvak
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Foooolish Samurai Warrior!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing a quick comparison between the board and a star map yielded this. Here is my first pass at what I think some of the planets are.

EDIT: Updated with the rest of the planets. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flash7713
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing Nar Shadaa and Kashyyk will be there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
gmcseph wrote:
Keep in mind that the map IS only a semicircle, and the map lines go right off the bottom of it.

I'd be a bit surprised if FFG didn't expand it. Because, ya know...FFG...expansions...that's a thing.

(Granted, we've got a ton of Clone Wars planets to use; Rebels is still an ongoing series that FFG is GLEEFULLY tapping for material in all their games; and we've got Episode VII, VIII, and IX coming that will certainly fill the universe with more material that FFG demonstrably has the license for. Jakku, anyone?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one of their RpG core books, you can get a pretty good sense of the planets they deem important. There's a pretty similar map in each of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
gmcseph wrote:
Keep in mind that the map IS only a semicircle, and the map lines go right off the bottom of it.

I'd be a bit surprised if FFG didn't expand it. Because, ya know...FFG...expansions...that's a thing.

(Granted, we've got a ton of Clone Wars planets to use; Rebels is still an ongoing series that FFG is GLEEFULLY tapping for material in all their games; and we've got Episode VII, VIII, and IX coming that will certainly fill the universe with more material that FFG demonstrably has the license for. Jakku, anyone?)
Don't the map lines go off the top of it too? Makes the evidence that they go off the bottom a little weaker as to expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that your ability to identify the planet from the low-res image is extraordinary, the force is strong with this one... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagobah shouldn't have military resources, so i doubt that position. But nice start anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilgalad35 wrote:
I think their [FFG] best bet is to use all of the great names from Rebellion, the PC game... I would hope that they steer clear of prequel planets - theres no need for them. It looks like they are doing this already, because FFG is smart.
A planet is either Star Wars or not, they don't pop up or go away in different timelines, would you want to erase Tatooine beause it showed in the Prequels?? Coruscant is never mentioned or seen in the OT, it was just a concept without a name before the Prequels, so bite your ass, because you already got the Prequels in the game!

FFG may be smart or not, but the above is just dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
it was just a concept without a name before the Prequels, so bite your ass, because you already got the Prequels in the game!
False. If you're going to be a jerk, at least get your facts right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
it was just a concept without a name before the Prequels, so bite your ass, because you already got the Prequels in the game!
True, because the SEs of the OT were made with the Prequels well in the works and included Coruscant (for the first time) to connect them with the Prequels. Coruscant has written Prequels all over it, however you may call me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
True, because the SEs of the OT were made with the Prequels well in the works and included Coruscant (for the first time) to connect them with the Prequels. Coruscant has written Prequels all over it, however you may call me.
Look it up. The prequels are not the first place where Coruscant shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
I know my Star Wars.
Like I said, what later became Coruscant, was a concept shown in production paintings created by Ralph McQuarrie for Return of the Jedi.
These concepts of an "urban captial planet" weren't used at the time, they went to the Lucasfilm archives with countless of other unused concepts, with an "what if" status within the Star Wars Universe at best.

Even Wookiepedia fails to mention the above fact and makes it look like it was Zahn's idea, who simply borrowed the idea, like many of "his ideas" from the Lucasfilm archives:
"Coruscant first appeared in the Expanded Universe and was called such for the first time in Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire in 1991. Coruscant wasn't seen on screen until the 1997 Special Edition release of Return of the Jedi, and then later appeared in the prequel trilogy. Coruscant is therefore one of the few EU elements that made its way in to the films."

The Special Editions were only created when it was decided to make the Prequels (first half of the ninties)and in the wake of their pre-production.

Again, the Prequels are the sole reason we have seen and heard the name Coruscant on the big screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gmcseph wrote:
Nar Shaddaa is a moon of Nal Hutta, so I doubt we'll see it outside of maybe character missions.

Kashyyyk would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
I know my Star Wars.
Like I said, what later became Coruscant, was a concept shown in production paintings created by Ralph McQuarrie for Return of the Jedi.
These concepts of an "urban captial planet" weren't used at the time, they went to the Lucasfilm archives with countless of other unused concepts, with an "what if" status within the Star Wars Universe at best.

Even Wookiepedia fails to mention the above fact and makes it look like it was Zahn's idea, who simply borrowed the idea, like many of "his ideas" from the Lucasfilm archives:
"Coruscant first appeared in the Expanded Universe and was called such for the first time in Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire in 1991. Coruscant wasn't seen on screen until the 1997 Special Edition release of Return of the Jedi, and then later appeared in the prequel trilogy. Coruscant is therefore one of the few EU elements that made its way in to the films."

The Special Editions were only created when it was decided to make the Prequels (first half of the ninties)and in the wake of their pre-production.

Again, the Prequels are the sole reason we have seen and heard the name Coruscant on the big screen.
That's some very interesting history!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

That's true. That's not the initial point.

The prequels are not the where Coruscant was introduced. They're where they showed up first in the films. Those are different points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
Atapoti wrote:
Doing a quick comparison between the board and a star map yielded this. Here is my first pass at what I think some of the planets are.

EDIT: Updated with the rest of the planets. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts.
FWIW, looks like they have the same render - from a different angle - on the game's "showcase" page.

Might be possible, working back and forth between the two of them, to piece together a few more planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dim
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
gilgalad35 wrote:
A planet is either Star Wars or not, they don't pop up or go away in different timelines, would you want to erase Tatooine beause it showed in the Prequels?? Coruscant is never mentioned or seen in the OT, it was just a concept without a name before the Prequels, so bite your ass, because you already got the Prequels in the game!

Bite my ass? What does that even mean?

First off, yes prequels HAVE been referenced in the other games like Xwing, IA, and Armada... but I would easily call the ratio %95/%5 - You are right in that a planet is just a planet, and it allows for a wider (litterally) universe... I'm just saying that the prequels were poor movies that weren't thought through like the OT or had their richness, and therefore the richness behind any kind of lore or gameplay would be lacking. I don't want to be having a great experience playing this and try to invade Naboo or whatever, and there be silly modifiers or exceptions that spin the game... just like the prequels did.

Secondly, its just my opinion dude, so chill out.

...Oh and I'm pretty sure that FFG IS smart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilgalad35 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
gilgalad35 wrote:

Bite my ass? What does that even mean?

First off, yes prequels HAVE been referenced in the other games like Xwing, IA, and Armada... but I would easily call the ratio %95/%5 - You are right in that a planet is just a planet, and it allows for a wider (litterally) universe... I'm just saying that the prequels were poor movies that weren't thought through like the OT or had their richness, and therefore the richness behind any kind of lore or gameplay would be lacking. I don't want to be having a great experience playing this and try to invade Naboo or whatever, and there be silly modifiers or exceptions that spin the game... just like the prequels did.

Secondly, its just my opinion dude, so chill out.

...Oh and I'm pretty sure that FFG IS smart...
I don't think so.
First off, I like the OT much more than the Prequels myself, it's what I have grown up with and what's made me a Star Wars fan.
Having said that, I don't think the Prequels are half as bad as people make them, they are overall far below the OT, but that's because the OT are just excellent movies, that together are greater than the sum of their parts.
People just diss everything in the Prequels to a point where it's just getting ridiculous. Things like creatures or planets, that would have apppeared looking excatly the same and would be celebrated in the OT are now suddenly "poor and don't have the same richness". You are reinforcing with your statement a poor and unjustified stereotype.

For instance, take Naboo which has much more richness on screen than any other Star Wars planet ever before. The first Star Wars planet with actually TWO landscapes, and a real city on top (rock and dune desert doesn't count ).
And there isn't much lore really in any of movies about any planet, the movies just have no time for that, lore comes from books and games and such stuff, but not from the OT or PT.
The gameplay is lacking if it's poorly designed, if a planet is actually original introduced in the OT, Prequels or pulled right out of FFGs pants, has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the gameplay.

That is my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dim
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lol. ok. Thats precisely my point. The prequel movies were terrible, so anything referencing them (except from things in the expanded universe from people who cared about star wars made awesome through various GOOD works like the decipher CCG, PC games, other board games, like your Courascant example for instance) are silly, and they take me out of the moment.

I get it though... everyone must bow to them because they bear the name...

Maybe your gungans can do some gun-da-bad super duper move to do an mega level 9 kill on the empire when they go to that planet. Or maybe they can take their shiny Naboo star fighters and do a super duper barrel roll around all the tie fighters and make them explode instantly... <-- Thats what I think when I see those things in games. Silly, no reason, Michael Bay type crap - because that was all it was in the movies.

Look at why an old 90s PC game of Tie Fighter or Rebellion were so awesome... Those had new things in them too - a lot of things not in the original trilogy. Im not saying "no" to new things... I'm arguing no to a set of news things that were done poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atapoti wrote:

Umbara -> Kashyyyk, Christophsis -> Naboo, Naboo -> Dagobah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the planets printed on the board and therefore fixed, or are they cardboard pieces and therefore able too be randomised? I liked the way the 1998 pc game randomised the initial industrial capacity of each planet - things like mineral deposits and power output.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilgalad35 wrote:
lol. ok. Thats precisely my point. The prequel movies were terrible, so anything referencing them (except from things in the expanded universe from people who cared about star wars made awesome through various GOOD works like the decipher CCG, PC games, other board games, like your Courascant example for instance) are silly, and they take me out of the moment.

I get it though... everyone must bow to them because they bear the name...

Maybe your gungans can do some gun-da-bad super duper move to do an mega level 9 kill on the empire when they go to that planet. Or maybe they can take their shiny Naboo star fighters and do a super duper barrel roll around all the tie fighters and make them explode instantly... <-- Thats what I think when I see those things in games. Silly, no reason, Michael Bay type crap - because that was all it was in the movies.

Look at why an old 90s PC game of Tie Fighter or Rebellion were so awesome... Those had new things in them too - a lot of things not in the original trilogy. Im not saying "no" to new things... I'm arguing no to a set of news things that were done poorly.
Your examples are weak, the Gungans got their asses handed to them, only the destruction of the Droid Control Ship saved them and TIE-Fighters exploding instantly is what the OT space battles are all about.

If you like your things black and white (everything OT and EU good, everything PT bad) then that's your choice, that's the equivalent of covering your ears and singing "la-la-la" to everything that doesn't suit you, others are more reasonable.

Many of the "elements from the EU" aren't really EU, they were ideas created by people from Lucasfilm, couldn't be realized within the OT, but then were revived for the PT, one of the good things of the PT.

Talking about EU, it created the worst abomination ever to happen to Star Wars, namely "Ysalamiri" (shudder),an utter violation of Star Wars, which make "midichlorians" look acceptable. That, unlike Coruscant, was Zahn's original idea.

I'm not so sure, if people like you, really want new things. The new trailers get a lot of praise, but for what? They show us things we already know...in shiny new wrappings. Things like X-Wings, TIE-Fighters, Star Destroyers, the Falcon, Stormtroopers etc. What got some backlash was that rolling ball droid (BB-8), because it was a new concept and unfamiliar, and many people dissed it as "being too CGI like the Prequels". The funny thing is, that thing is actually real! I think that little story tells a lot about how unreasonable many of those "Prequel-phobes" are or have become.
Having these elements is not necessarily bad, I personally enjoy them as much as the next Star Wars fan, but it is far from bold, creative or intventive. They are playing it save.
The OT was bold and inventive, even after they established success with the original movie, they went in a totally different direction with Empire. The PT was less bold, because you already had an established universe, but was more creative and inventive, than what we have seen in the new trailers so far. They got their own style, where outside appearance like having a shiny new spaceship mattered, because those things matter in peacetimes, that over time changed into a look more reminiscent of the OT, with the galaxy drifting into war. That was one element that worked well in the PT.

I know people like you are a lost cause, I'm writing this for people who are surrounded by people like you, who want to enjoy the Prequels for what they are, interesting and entertaining Star Wars movies with some real highs and some very disappointing lows, but can't really, because you constanly tell them "how much the Prequels suck".
It's o.k. to enjoy them, they are not half as bad as people make them...moving on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |