Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierce (敏敦) Ostrander
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've funded this and unfunded it three times now.

Dodged that bullet.

I c!early don't belong here. To the rest, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you'll be back Once the 48 hour rush starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, that's such a hard place to be. I went through it with Scythe and the 7th Continent (didn't back either in the end).

This one though, solid backing with no doubts. It's killing my game budget for at least a year but I feel like it's just that legendary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nana Pleng

Irwindale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If this ks includes act II, then It's really worth it, right? I don't know when act II expansion will hit retail, anyone know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I have is that I have managed my pledge three times to add add-ons and each time I log back in my pledge has been "reset" to my pledge level. Very annoying and the only time I have seen this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlengRock wrote:
If this ks includes act II, then It's really worth it, right? I don't know when act II expansion will hit retail, anyone know?
They haven't given a time line for the ACT II expansion to be at retail but the Dragon Expansion will only be in 2017. I would expect any expansion to come out some time later and not at the same time as the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Act II retail will include:

1 Hero
4 enemy types
2 master enemies

All other heroes and enemies will be released somewhere in 2017 (maybe) so basically with a single pledge you are getting:

ACT I
ACT II
KS exclusive contents (bag, card holder, deluxe hero sheets, warlord hero, etc...)
Additional heroes and enemies (Skeld, ryld, efreet, nightwalkers, demonologist, and so on)

Everything in a single shipment, in addition you can decide to add add-on expansions such as Vastaryous's lair, Samyria, Onamor, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
To be honest, the value seems pretty amazing. I hate things loaded with KS Exclusives, but just having a bit and then giving a bunch of cool stuff seems great! Hoping the bundle is good, if so I'm likely all-in for the long haul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know where the original poster is coming from.

I backed this and am still deciding on it to be honest. However in my favour i have the early bird package so the content value is quite excellent.

The main reason i am unsure is that i have other options, Dungeon Saga on pre-order, Warhammer Quest, Castle Ravenloft and Descent 2nd already owned. It does become hard to justify more dungeon games even though i love playing them. I do have a gaming group so the best ones are kept. My main issue i think is whether Dungeon Saga and their expansions would be enough now and so i shouldn't get this as well.

I do like the look of the hero models, campaign, dungeon intelligence.
I am ok with the look of the tiles and the monsters (although all their poses are quite similar in style).
I am worried about gameplay and the potential for heaps of dice adjustments to keep track of, plus whether the scenarios will be overly hard as the monsters can take a lot of wounds off in one go. I am also not so much a fan of the soul stone return (but see why its there for group games).

So it may come down to the last 24 hours decision but i think i will stay in just to see how good it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusaderlord wrote:
I am worried about gameplay and the potential for heaps of dice adjustments to keep track of, plus whether the scenarios will be overly hard as the monsters can take a lot of wounds off in one go.
That was a difficult issue for me when I played the tabletopia demo for the first time, but if you stick close to the combat sequence given in the rulebook and routine starts to trigger that shouldn't be a problem any more.

crusaderlord wrote:
I am also not so much a fan of the soul stone return (but see why its there for group games).
I like the idea very much, but I can also understand the other opinion... BUT 1. this mechanic is perfectly integrated into the story 2. the punishment for a death is really harsh at least when hitting level 3 (needing 11 exp for reaching the original state, 2 for resurrecting, 9 for levelling up). And when the characters are level 3 I bet it is very uncommon to get one hitted by an enemy when equipped and playing smartly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crusaderlord wrote:

I am worried about gameplay and the potential for heaps of dice adjustments to keep track of

If you are Ok with Descent in that regard, i think you will be fine with S&S as well.

crusaderlord wrote:

, plus whether the scenarios will be overly hard as the monsters can take a lot of wounds off in one go.

There are 3 or 4 difficulty levels in the campaign to adjust the challenge level to your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am ok with Descent (that is just about as much as we want to remember in a game). I still have to remind myself of occasional rules whenever we get the game out (i tend to run the games so have to stay on top of both hero and overlord rules). I do like game where the rules are easy enough not to have to do this all the time. In this respect the dice rules for Dungeon Saga look great.

Variable difficulty is great, and i wasn't aware of this so its good news on this front. Should be able to tailor for any group ability then.

I think i am getting a bit more excited about S&S. It would have been good if Dungeon Saga had already been around to play so i could gauge which one i wanted more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce (敏敦) Ostrander
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:

1 Hero
4 enemy types
2 master enemies

All other heroes and enemies will be released somewhere in 2017 (maybe) so basically with a single pledge you are getting:

ACT I
ACT II
KS exclusive contents (bag, card holder, deluxe hero sheets, warlord hero, etc...)
Additional heroes and enemies (Skeld, ryld, efreet, nightwalkers, demonologist, and so on)

Everything in a single shipment, in addition you can decide to add add-on expansions such as Vastaryous's lair, Samyria, Onamor, etc...

If you buy all the new add-on figures and one extra set of dice, you are looking at $220 plus Shipping, which puts you in the neighborhood of $250 US for the initial buy-in.

Part of what Ares Games has done here is spread out the expenditure into two $110 increments - commit now to the first half, and then later to the second "add on" half. It is genius from a marketing perspective.

Even at that cost, it is still a good value in today's market for this kind of product.

However, for someone like me, who knows that I am usually disappointed with the play of these types of games, the reward potential is too low for the relatively high cost of entry. Certainly, there is possibility of resale if I am disappointed, but the potential for cost recovery on $250 investment seems daunting, especially in the face of inevitable future Kickstarter campaigns for games in this category from other companies which will be touted as "the greatest yet" (e.g. S&S as an improvement to GD.).

Anyway, I'm probably more of a Eurogamer than a thematic gamer at heart.

This is the first Campaign for games in this category that I've taken more than a passing glance at; because it is Ares and because I think they are a well-run company who puts out awesome stuff.

Hence the subject line of my thread. If Ares is sucking guys like me for a long, lusty look, they are doing a fantastic job. Bravo!

Besides I have a buddy who is sure to get this, so I'll get to try it then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Simone Romano wrote:

1 Hero
4 enemy types
2 master enemies

ACT I
ACT II

If you buy all the new add-on figures and one extra set of dice, you are looking at $220 plus Shipping, which puts you in the neighborhood of $250 US for the initial buy-in.

Part of what Ares Games has done here is spread out the expenditure into two $110 increments - commit now to the first half, and then later to the second "add on" half. It is genius from a marketing perspective.

Even at that cost, it is still a good value in today's market for this kind of product.

However, for someone like me, who knows that I am usually disappointed with the play of these types of games, the reward potential is too low for the relatively high cost of entry. Certainly, there is possibility of resale if I am disappointed, but the potential for cost recovery on $250 investment seems daunting, especially in the face of inevitable future Kickstarter campaigns for games in this category from other companies which will be touted as "the greatest yet" (e.g. S&S as an improvement to GD.).

Anyway, I'm probably more of a Eurogamer than a thematic gamer at heart.

This is the first Campaign for games in this category that I've taken more than a passing glance at; because it is Ares and because I think they are a well-run company who puts out awesome stuff.

Hence the subject line of my thread. If Ares is sucking guys like me for a long, lusty look, they are doing a fantastic job. Bravo!

Besides I have a buddy who is sure to get this, so I'll get to try it then...

Actually, they just added two packages, you can get the whole enchilada for 199 plus shipping which they predicted to be 10-15 for US delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Loisel
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:

1 Hero
4 enemy types
2 master enemies

ACT I
ACT II

This really should be made clearer in the "what you get" graphic. I have seen several threads where people are discussing the market value of the base pledge, and so far, everybody thought that ALL the non-exclusive SGs were the equivalent of just one big-box expansion. If it is a lot more than that, it means that the value of the basic pledge is much higher than what we thought.

I recommend separating the "what you get" graphic a bit more so that the information you just gave is visible there too. I think you would get more backers like this.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce (敏敦) Ostrander
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
Actually, they just added two packages, you can get the whole enchilada for 199 plus shipping which they predicted to be 10-15 for US delivery.
Sigh... back to the KS page for another look... zombie

Someone, anyone, please make it stop...

Help meeeeee!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:

Help meeeeee!!!!
We are TRYING to help you. (one of us...one of us...one of us)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce (敏敦) Ostrander
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
fubar awol wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:

Help meeeeee!!!!

So I log on to the KS page and within 5 seconds I notice that someone, somewhere has dropped an "early bird" pledge. There is ONE available.

An image flashes into my mind...

Deep in a Bunker in the mountains of central Italy there is a room full of Italian guys bathed in task-lighting. They are all staring up at a wall filled with 110-inch screens, tapped into the NSA database.

The Kickstarter campaign is in it's final, intricately-planned end-stage.

They are tracking my every keystroke. As I arrive at the Kickstarter splash-page the countdown clock starts.

5... 4... 3... 2...

As my login completes, and the S&S page flashes onto my screen, Simone gives a subtle hand gesture to one of his minions and the "one early bird pledge left" line appears in front of my eyeballs.

Moments later, cheers and high-fives break out across the situation room. A sly smile breaks out across Simone's lips.

Got him! he mutters, to no one in particular...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
fubar awol wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:

Help meeeeee!!!!

So I log on to the KS page and within 5 seconds I notice that someone, somewhere has dropped an "early bird" pledge. There is ONE available.

Deep in a Bunker in the mountains of central Italy there is a room full of Italian guys bathed in task-lighting. They are all staring up at a wall filled with 110-inch screens, tapped into the NSA database.

They are tracking my every keystroke. As I arrive at the Kickstarter splash-page the countdown clock starts.

5... 4... 3... 2...

As my login completes, and the S&S page flashes onto my screen, Simone gives a subtle hand gesture to one of his minions and the "one early bird pledge left" line appears in front of my eyeballs.

Moments later, cheers and high-fives break out across the situation room. A sly smile breaks out across Simone's lips.

Great narrative lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua D
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
fubar awol wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
fubar awol wrote:
Wayne LaBanca wrote:

Help meeeeee!!!!

5... 4... 3... 2...

Intense a decision, it is! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gauthier D.
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Simone Romano wrote:

All other heroes and enemies will be released somewhere in 2017 (maybe)...
Can you confirm that there won't be an Act III including both those "other heroes and enemies" from the KS AND additionnal content not in the KS? If we're getting an incomplete Act III, it's useless because we'll have to buy it at retail anyway (to have the complete thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ares and the GRemlins has said a few times now that ACT III is not included or planned for this KS. Everything in this KS is for ACT I and II or for customization of said acts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also in the boat with the folks that have pledged, but are still a little unsure. I recently stumbled on the page for Perdition's Mouth, and I'm pretty stoked about it. I know the genre is a little different from S&S; but, for all intents and purposes it is another dungeon crawl.

PM seems to have a lot more tactical flavor to it than S&S. The actions for both the players and baddies are handled by rondeles, which forces players to constantly make decisions not only for this turn, but also the next one. S&S seems a lot simpler tactically - move, choose your best weapon, and bash accordingly.

On the other hand, S&S has a lot richer and more in depth background as far as choices in creating characters, their progression, as well as equipment and treasures they can have. S&S also uses really cool dice to generate results, which appeals to me, being an old D&D gamer.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts regarding PM? I'm not convinced at this time that I will be pulling my pledge; but, instead of going all in for S&S I might be saving what's left of my rapidly diminishing gaming budget, and go the basic pledge for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts regarding PM?
Here are my thoughts as someone who was interested at first but has changed their mind:

Firstly, I appreciate PM's innovation but ultimately think it won't work for me. Why? I play euros as much as Ameritrash. I actually really like the rondel mechanic but because I already have a few games that use it (Macao, Navegador, and I'll argue that Tzolk'in and Vinhos have one too) I'm not missing it in my collection.

Also, because it's a thematic game I don't see why I'm hampered in being able to move or fight whenever I want. Coupled with that I don't like that every model blocks LOS and movement including your fellow heroes. Someone that playtested said at one point they couldn't do anything because another hero was blocking their way out of a room.

And finally, I don't like the maps that they are using. Sure, it's flexible to use for many different scenarios but it doesn't look like you'll be able to customize your mission maps though. With S&S, I can potentially even use the tiles for some pen and paper roleplaying because, like you, I was an old school D&D player.

There are actually quite a few things I like about PM but ultimately the above reasons are enough to keep me from participating in their KS unless I suddenly strike it rich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts regarding PM?
No KS exclusives and very possible the game will be cheaper from an OLGS (like Gloomhaven). I plan to pledge day 1, but may drop my pledge by the end (like I did with Gloomhaven).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |