Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hughes
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a good game. Im kind of interested in Vietnam. Does this games well represent the guerrilla warfare and search and destroy operations and all that stuff?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It often reminds me of Vietnam history I have read, the campaign game that is. So yes in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To me, the game's strength is the way it models the strategic and political complexities of that unique war.

On a tactical level it can be a bit vague, however. You'll get a feel for what was going on in a search & destroy op, and even more so what it took to generate one. But ASL for Vietnam it is not.

I'm refering of course to the campaign scenarios. The shorter scenarios may provide a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris99 chris99
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm biased as I like the game. But it's 30+ years old, (won an award in 1984), people are still playing it, and it has stood the test of time well. What I appreciate about it is that there is little chrome; instead, the game system itself does an excellent job of simulating the war. The S&D operations are the heart of the tactical system, while the population control and the morale/commitment are the main driver of the strategic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob A

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, only the campaign games are worth playing for reasons other than learning the system.

It is the most open and flexible strategic level historical game I've ever encountered. You decide what troops arrive and where to place them. Heck, you only start with 2 regiments (either side) on the whole map. The rest is up to you.

The strategies are also very fluid through the game - it's almost like you are playing several different games based on what the NLF side does.

Read some AARs to get a flavor of it. We have a lot of good ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mrboba1 wrote:
The strategies are also very fluid through the game - it's almost like you are playing several different games based on what the NLF side does.
That's a good point. Erik and I noticed the same thing during our games. Helps break up the length of the campaign game. Both sides will be conducting different types of operations at different phases of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck yeah!

Over the years I have added (and removed!) tons of chrome from the game. Exceptionally, the game can handle added chrome if you want to install it, but it just doesn't need it.
To expand my point, stuff I've experimented with:
* Introduction of new US weapon systems (Cobras, Sheridans, M-60s, F-4 and then F-111s).
* Historical OBs (straightjackets, really).
* Limitless OBs (2nd Air Cav? [actually more realistic than the way the game handles the 101st airborne, but that's a nit] -- sure. 6th ID, even though its dreadful and failed its readiness inspection? --Okay, sure. Etc.
The game simulates a lot of the creepy and fascinating stuff that happened in the war without calling attention to itself. I've fiddled with rules and variants to get certain things to happen only to find that the system already does what I was trying to add; just subtly. This is key because the game does sustain over 88 operational turns and 44 interphases...
In contrast, a lot of East Front games have to split into sub-games, or introduce other cheats because the model starts to come apart over extended length of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris99 wrote:
But it's 30+ years old, (won an award in 1984), people are still playing it, and it has stood the test of time well.
Well said, sir! The only thing I might add is that the original designer is on BGG and responds to emails, and the chief playtester was Tony Curtis! No, not Jamie Lee's dad, but the President of the highly esteemed game company GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theyoungwargamer wrote:
This looks like a good game. Im kind of interested in Vietnam. Does this games well represent the guerrilla warfare and search and destroy operations and all that stuff?

thanks
IT is a good a game as I have found on the whole Vietnam era, That said, the campaign game though long is the real crowning part of the system.
The Scenarios have one major flaw. one side or the other usually has to do "nothing" to win. The Scenarios would work better if their victory conditions depended on what you accomplish so possible to have a marginal
US and tactical NLF victory. The higher level "wins" the scenario. Thus you have to pay attention to what your opponent needs for victory levels and yourself. Have not come up with a way to do that yet but I'm working at it and maybe some day I'll have enough time to put it together and present it for play testing to the community as a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hughes
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you I think I going to get it.

Thumb up