Subject: Why you should be playing this... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike n Phyllis Snedeker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barony offers a wonderful antithesis to so many recent games, I'm amazed it hasn't reached a wider market.

First off, I love Stephen Feld style "Fruit Salad" games. Lots of ways to score victory points, a variety of ways to win, but never enough actions to accomplish everything, etc. Even a current hot game "Voyages of Marco Polo" has all these great mechanics, characters and moving pieces to it, and seems to emphasize the popularity of this style of Eurogame.

So along comes "Barony", a game with a single purpose; incredibly simple rules, one goal, and only one way to get there; May the best player win.

It has been, rightly so, compared to "GO" meets "Chess", but with a infinite modular game board and the ability to go from two players to four.

And like the aforementioned games, it is an abstract game simply enhanced with colorful pieces and variable board that offers different challenges with each set-up.

"Barony" demands your full attention to every move, from opening action to end game, with deadly precision and an eye on what your opponents are doing. And, unlike GO or Chess, it plays under an hour.

"Barony" deserves a second look.

I highly recommend it and should occupy a space in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree... Pretty sure it has snuck up into my top ten games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek M
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised and thrilled by how much I enjoyed my first play of this after acquiring it over the weekend.

It appeared very abstract and dry, yet I find it very engaging and it moved at a very nice pace!

Can't wait to play more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Powell
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. This has been in my Top 10 games since Day One and will likely stay there for a long time.

I'm a huge fan of euros, worker placement, resource management and engine-building, so this game might seem out of place in my collection. But it's so streamlined, so tight and interactive - it's unlike anything else and demands respect. I've taught this game to a LOT of people and it's been a hit with everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls